Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank of Ireland Hoax call

• 26-07-2010 1:00pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭

Just received a call from someone stating they were from BOI and wanted to update our details. She had a North Dublin accent, I said it was a bad time and call back. Quick call to BOI confirmed that it was not a call from them and try get any details we could if they ring back.

Mean to ask the bank if they could shed any light on how they have our number or were they just chancing it.

Just to let people know.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Automatic diallers.
    They dial your telephone and wait for you to pick up.

Did you notice a pause from when you answered to the person replying to you?
    That person waits for somebody to answer, the computer works through the queue of numbers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

This seems to be their new MO, they call pretending to be from your bank, or in some cases a computer company.

With the bank they ask for your details etc and trry to clean you out that way.

With the computer company they say they are installing new security to the broadband connection, or claim they can remotely access your pc and check it for viruses etc and ask you to accept their remote access request and plant a trojan or ask you to log into you 24 hour banking to make sure the comp is working right.

How people still fall for it in this day and age is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Got 1 or two of these before... I say "Sure thing.. Need to run upstairs to root for my details.. Can you hold on a few mins?"

Put phone back in my pocket on with mic on mute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

TomTom wrote: »
    Mean to ask the bank if they could shed any light on how they have our number or were they just chancing it.

Just to let people know.

Yeah makes you wonder how they get these details, phione number I can understand but bank details.....Hhhmmm.

Good spotting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Just received a call from someone stating they were from BOI and wanted to update our details. She had a North Dublin accent, I said it was a bad time and call back. Quick call to BOI confirmed that it was not a call from them and try get any details we could if they ring back.

Just to let people know.

Good man. Most wouldn't have bothered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

old_aussie wrote: »
    Yeah makes you wonder how they get these details, phione number I can understand but bank details.....Hhhmmm.

Good spotting

they probably didn't have your bank account number, they were just hoping for the best.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

My wife got a call from sky before to the house phone and stupidly gave out the details.

They did the usual spiel with name and address which can be got from a phone book and then asked her to verify our card number and pin. She asked me for the pin and it was only a few minutes later when i asked her what for she told me about the call. I rang sky asap and changed the pin, nobody had accessed our account thankfully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

My wife got a call from sky before to the house phone and stupidly gave out the details.

They did the usual spiel with name and address which can be got from a phone book and then asked her to verify our card number and pin. She asked me for the pin and it was only a few minutes later when i asked her what for she told me about the call. I rang sky asap and changed the pin, nobody had accessed our account thankfully

That's what happens when you unchain her from the cooker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

1 - Change PIN
    2 - Change Wife

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

mathie wrote: »
    1 - Change PIN
    2 - Change Wife

Kinda difficult don't you think, I used that pin for years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

It always amazes me that there are still people out there willing to give out sensitive info over the phone / net.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Did you notice a pause from when you answered to the person replying to you?....the computer works through the queue of numbers

That's how you know a Market Research is on the line....the computer does the work and the Research simply waits to be connected. I did that work for a little while, all honest and above board, but there were times when I really felt for the people I was calling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I got a letter from Bank of Ireland today saying I was €12,761 overdrawn, apparently their computer system can't handle decimal points properly. So I wouldn't take anything they say at face value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

amacachi wrote: »
    I got a letter from Bank of Ireland today saying I was €12,761 overdrawn, apparently their computer system can't handle decimal points properly. So I wouldn't take anything they say at face value.

So you were actually only €1276.10 overdrawn or something?:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

My trick when I get calls like that is to give them Brian Cowan's bank details.

He hates when I do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Degag wrote: »

I doubt very much it was €126,710 overdrawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Automatic diallers.
    They dial your telephone and wait for you to pick up.

Did you notice a pause from when you answered to the person replying to you?
    That person waits for somebody to answer, the computer works through the queue of numbers

There's the culprit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Terri26

wow that happened me today and they said they were looking for my younger brother who has done his leaving cert to change his account to a graduate account so he can still quailfy for day to day banking. luckily he wasn't here as I thought it was legit!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

She had a North Dublin accent

?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

I love these calls, Usually there is no number displayed so I always play along.

They will ask to confirm sort code and account number I always give the following

38-25-69 22783737 and the pin for my ATM is 7448

anyone get the cryptic meaning of the numbers?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

North Dublin accent?

how do you know she didnt call you from ballyfermot, clondondalkin or ballybrack?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Terri26 wrote: »
    wow that happened me today and they said they were looking for my younger brother who has done his leaving cert to change his account to a graduate account so he can still quailfy for day to day banking. luckily he wasn't here as I thought it was legit!

That probably was real.

North Dublin accent?

how do you know she didnt call you from ballyfermot, clondondalkin or ballybrack?

Or Bulgaria... Accents can be faked believe me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,524 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

alex73 wrote: »
    I love these calls, Usually there is no number displayed so I always play along.

They will ask to confirm sort code and account number I always give the following

Nope, and I presume most companies wouldn't either........

TheDriver wrote: »
    Nope, and I presume most companies wouldn't either........

of course not, and this drives them around the bend, Sir, I think the sort code you gave is not a Bank of Ireland one... I keep them on the line for about 15mins and annoy them as much as possible... I mean come on, as if MY bank would ring me looking for my account number..

Degag wrote: »

€127.61, and the only reason I was overdrawn was because I paid a bill which had already been paid by DD, though they said it hadn't.:rolleyes:

alex73 wrote: »

What is the cryptic meaning?

The account number looks like it could be "bastard" in predictive text and the pin is s hit I think. Dunno about the sort code. Actually 3825 is f uck I think, my phone is broken so can't check the 69.
    EDIT: "fuck my bastards shit"? :S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

amacachi wrote: »
    The account number looks like it could be "bastard" in predictive text and the pin is s hit I think. Dunno about the sort code. Actually 3825 is f uck I think, my phone is broken so can't check the 69.
    EDIT: "fuck my bastards shit"? :S

Except that he fcuked up the account number and it should be 2737

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Sounds like phishing nearly except with a landline. And how come they always call when your sitting down for the tea?

Advertisement