Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSU in United States

Options
  • 26-07-2010 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭

I'm moving to america for a year in a couple of days and thinking about taking my computer with me, just wondering if anyone knows if My PSU will be ok over there or will I need to buy a new one and put it in there or get a power converter?!

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Julez wrote: »
    I'm moving to america for a year in a couple of days and thinking about taking my computer with me, just wondering if anyone knows if My PSU will be ok over there or will I need to buy a new one and put it in there or get a power converter?!

99% of modern PSUs are automatically able to switch between 110V and 240v so there should be no problems except to get a plug, very rarely there may be a small voltage selector switch on the back.

Do you have is the make and model just to be 100% sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Julez

I don't have the exact model number but its Thermaltake Toughpower 750w, its fairly new, only about a year or so old.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Didn't doubt for a second that it had, but just checked anyway to be 1000% sure.

It does have Auto switching circuitry for universal AC input from 90-264V so you are sorted.

http://www.thermaltake.com/product_info.aspx?PARENT_CID=C_00001561&id=C_00001562&name=+Toughpower+Grand+750W&ovid=n

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Julez

Well if your 1000% sure now, ha ;)

Yeah, it was a pricy enough PSU and once you mentioned that it excisted, I thought it might have it alright. Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,259 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Any electronic device you want to use will have a label on or near the plug that says what it's input and output is. For example on the power supply it will usually tell you an input of between 110-240V is acceptable. The PSU automatically adjusts. Laptop Power Cables also do this; but not all of your electronics may, like phone chargers.

Older PSU's required you to flip a switch to go from 110 to 220 but those are relics at this point.

• Advertisement
Advertisement