Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oz - Will I Get In?

Options
  • 26-07-2010 1:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭

I'm planning a trip in October for a month or so. The thing is, I've been unemployed for 2 years :eek: . I've no intention of working in Australia or staying longer then a month. I am genuinely just going for a holiday.

Would I be likely to be refused entry? I'll be in SE Asia for a while before hand, but to fly all the way to Australia and be refused entry would kill me!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Why would you be refused entry for a holiday? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Why would you be refused entry for a holiday? :confused:

I'm just thinking along the lines of America where they might refuse me, thinking I'm not genuine in my Visa application. The fact that I'm unemployed, might make them think I am going there to work.

Is Australia similar to the US regarding Visa's etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

ozzy jr wrote: »
    I'm just thinking along the lines of America where they might refuse me, thinking I'm not genuine in my Visa application. The fact that I'm unemployed, might make them think I am going there to work.

Is Australia similar to the US regarding Visa's etc?

I get what you're saying alright, though I doubt it's a good enough reason for a refusal.

Maybe someone hear knows about what exactly you need to fill out on the forms. I've never had to get a visa myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭Polar101

I think they're more interested in finding out if you have enough money to support you during the trip. If you don't, then they might assume you are there to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

If you're genuinely just going for a holiday then you have nothing to worry about.

• Advertisement

Shzm wrote: »
    If you're genuinely just going for a holiday then you have nothing to worry about.

I hope you're right.

I'll have enough money to support myself during my stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

I hope you're right.

I'll have enough money to support myself during my stay.

Unemployed for 2 years???

You must be planning on getting a heap of tuktuk driver work on the way over :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I'm planning a trip in October for a month or so. The thing is, I've been unemployed for 2 years :eek: . I've no intention of working in Australia or staying longer then a month. I am genuinely just going for a holiday.

Would I be likely to be refused entry? I'll be in SE Asia for a while before hand, but to fly all the way to Australia and be refused entry would kill me!

Dude are you a drug mule ? You can tell us were open minded ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Zambia232 wrote: »
    Dude are you a drug mule ? You can tell us were open minded ;)

Zam you been watching to many episodes of Border Security mate, have to say that unemployment and holiday does seem to raise their suspicions.

Had a well paid job, saved very hard.

See what I mean though, all you lot are suspicious. Imagine what immigration people in Australia will think.

I mightn't mention the 2 years bit, mayve just a few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Had a well paid job, saved very hard.

See what I mean though, all you lot are suspicious. Imagine what immigration people in Australia will think.

I mightn't mention the 2 years bit, mayve just a few months.

You won’t get asked anything so don’t worry and If you do you don’t have to say your unemployed you say that you have been traveling. If you have money to support yourself and can prove it you will be allowed in.

If you’re worried because of that boarder security show you have to remember that thousands of people go through there every day and they are a lot more diligent when the camera is rolling then normal. The actual numbers of people stopped and interviewed are relatively minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭NBTD

If you have enough money to support you for your stay, and a ticket to leave the country, they wont ask any further questions

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Zam you been watching to many episodes of Border Security mate, have to say that unemployment and holiday does seem to raise their suspicions.

Na UK customs is way better. But to the OP dont stress you will have no issues as long as you have funds:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

NBTD wrote: »
    If you have enough money to support you for your stay, and a ticket to leave the country, they wont ask any further questions

simple as that.

i think you need to get your holiday visa online before you land here now though.

Thanks for the replys folks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Will you travelling on your own or with a group of friends? If you are going with a group of friends then you will have no problems at all in either Australia or the US. Travelling solo will complicate it and make them more likely to query your intentions.

I travelled into the USA in 2008 on the VWP for a holiday and with a lot of cash (Vegas) and was interrogated and damn nearly refused entry as according to the the immigration officer I was a likely suspect to be an illegal immigrant but I was still left in after answering everything truthfully and keeping calm.

The immigration officers in the US can actually deny whoever they like and they admit people at their discretion was what one told me yesterday when I flew into LAX having since got a B1/B2 Tourist visa to make easier when travelling to the US, as yesterday was my first time using the visa since the 2008 nightmare interrogation they gave me at Shannon airport.

Travelling together is fine but if travelling solo to somewhere like the US and Australia then you'd want to have your paperwork together and have something to show your ties to Ireland, like a job, returning to college or a bank loan.

I actually got a bank loan of €3k and a letter from the bank to show to any immigration authorities that I have financial obligations in Ireland and have to return home to pay it off. This helps proves ties to Ireland and allay any suspicions that immigration officers have about a person. I actually got the loan first before I got the B1/B2 visa incase I'd also be refused that, so it was handy for that also.

The biggest factor in the whole thing is that foreign countries don't realise is that in Ireland being unemployed is not some life-wrecking disaster like it is in the US and that actually over here you can be better off to be unemployed (depending on your situation) & on the dole, unless you can earn anywhere above €12/hr in quality of life terms. Between taxes and medical expenses etc, being unemployed in Ireland can as I say depending on the situation lead to a person having a higher quality of life than the drone in sector 7g working minimum wage,commuting miles away to pay off a 40 year mortgage in an overpriced negative equity ridden shoebox house or flat.

I have spent the last month travelling in Singapore, Australia and am now in LA before returning to Ireland next week. (I saved up for this trip over the last two years).

This is my insight into the whole "unemployed & travelling" thing having first hand experience of it and being unemployed for the last while.

Good post Stinicker

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Just remember to carry a loaded gun in your hand when going through immigration. No ones gonna fukk with a gangsta packing heat right? and a warning shot should put everyones mind at ease.

I think honesty is probably the best policy, so I'll probably lie through my teeth anyway!

I'll bring a photo of my Aquarium and tell them it's been a life long dream to see the Barrier Reef (thats true). If they don't let me in so be it, not really much I can do about it!

Just remember to carry a loaded gun in your hand when going through immigration. No ones gonna fukk with a gangsta packing heat right? and a warning shot should put everyones mind at ease.

:D

Look out for me on those Border control programmes!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 kaggie

icon11.gifshannon preclearance
    I need to know what airlines use the preclearance at shannon. Also what is involved there? Do you get all your fingerprints scanned or just your two forefingers as in recent years?
    Thanks. I need to know the finer details due to my drunk arrest in LA two years ago b4 I book a flight cos with ten that will show up I think.

kaggie wrote: »
    icon11.gifshannon preclearance
    I need to know what airlines use the preclearance at shannon. Also what is involved there? Do you get all your fingerprints scanned or just your two forefingers as in recent years?
    Thanks. I need to know the finer details due to my drunk arrest in LA two years ago b4 I book a flight cos with ten that will show up I think.

Are you talking about the US or Oz:confused:

whats this fingerprint craic

If you are going to US your fingerprints gets scanned... I got mine done going through Dublin to US in January. All fingers and Thumb I think.

Cant comment on Shannon though

Advertisement