Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Investing in Foreclosures in the US

Options
  • 26-07-2010 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

Hi guys,

What are your thoughts on investing in foreclosure properties in the US? I found a few properties like this:

http://www.property2.americandreaminvestments.net/

€22k including purchasing fees for a 5 bed house in Syracuse (granted not the best neighbourhood in New York). Currently being let for €340 per month (after bills/taxes/expenses such as letting agency). At 340 a month, you'd have a 20k loan paid off in 5 years.

As with all things "if it seems to good to be true, then it is", but I'm curious on people's thoughts here.

Is it really that much of a "dodgy" thing to buy into for 20k?

EDIT: Sorry, its actually not a foreclosure house - its just that price.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

if its too good to be true it usually is.

14% return annually ? If that were good an investment. it would have been gone 5 mins after it went for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

How much are the property taxes? Property taxes are a big issue in down-at-heel neighbourhoods in the US. The law of 'eminent domain' also adds some spice for the non-local.

You need to know quite a lot to get involved in this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

Hi guys,

What are your thoughts on investing in foreclosure properties in the US? I found a few properties like this:

http://www.property2.americandreaminvestments.net/

€22k including purchasing fees for a 5 bed house in Syracuse (granted not the best neighbourhood in New York). Currently being let for €340 per month (after bills/taxes/expenses such as letting agency). At 340 a month, you'd have a 20k loan paid off in 5 years.

As with all things "if it seems to good to be true, then it is", but I'm curious on people's thoughts here.

Is it really that much of a "dodgy" thing to buy into for 20k?

EDIT: Sorry, its actually not a foreclosure house - its just that price.

you have not factored in the $800 per month you will have to pay the two heavys to collect the rent ?, their is good value in foreclosures at the moment but something about this just does not smell right

Advertisement