Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The European Bank Stress Tests

• 26-07-2010 2:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭

Quick query regarding capital ratios:

Am I correct in saying the 6% required to pass the CEBS could be made up of almost anything whereas the 4% required (after a shock) under our domestic PCAR had to be mostly equity and retained earnings?

Comments

I'm guessing the first requirement is the Tier 1 core capital as set out by the Basle rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

According to Wolfgang Manchau the 6% could be anything.

Hybrid capital instruments are normally excluded from tier 1 capital.
    The test done in Ireland by the Financial Regulator specifically excluded as per 'normal' guidelines.
    If they were being used, and I would not take an FT report as gospel given the level of errors that the media have been reporting over these, then that is very odd.

I won't take the hybrid instruments as gospel itself (although I don't really understand what they are other than simply a loan from a Gov that doesn't warrant a shareholding) but the 6% has been said as simply core tier 1.

But the FR, whenever he or anyone gets a chance to mention that the PCAR had 8% (although before the adverse scenario) the fact 7% of it has to be equity is always mentioned.

Really, its a problem for Europe more than us for once though if it is the case.

PCAR was done to kick the Irish banks into shape. Simply put, we can't afford to be as lax as some other jurisdictions can. PCAR required a 7% equity rate as then liquidity was guaranteed. The remaining 1% was comprised of assets which were effectively liquid.

Hybrids can be anything really, convertible bonds would be an example - as you can see that is not very liquid and there are strict rules under Basle about inclusion/exclusion with the marjority being stuck in Tier 2.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't say lax but I don't know what the internal regulatory examinations in other euro countries or PIIGS were but I certainly hope they were more stringent than the CEBS.

Pouring over the results today and hard to disagree with Lenihan's previous comments that the PCAR was far, far more stringent.

Advertisement