Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm typing this through gritted teeth.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Daisy Steiner

Three weeks done today!

You quit 2 weeks, 6 days, 21 hours, 16 minutes & 48 seconds ago. You have *not* smoked 313 cigs, saved EUR 134 and added 1.09 days to your life.

\:)/

Ooops, put the wrong date in earlier so had to go back and fix it :)

Bit of a tough day today, weird gack taste in my mouth and coughing a bit but still holding up.

Walked six miles altogether, had more cravings than usual though which was a bit strange as it was a lovely sunny day and I always hated smoking on hot days, the cigs always tasted weird! But crave I did so had to stay busy. I find I'm still thinking about them quite a bit :(

On a sunnier note, I met someone I haven't seen in a good few weeks and they told me that the weight is dropping off me :cool:

It can be kinda hard to see it yourself as it's a gradual process and I don't use a weighing scales. Am back in my jeans that didn't fit a few months ago so yay!

:( I think I've worked out the reason behind the gack taste in my mouth yesterday.

Feeling rough today, sneezing and coughing and zero appetite. Drinking tea with honey in it but reckon I'll have to hit the chemist for some cold and flu tabs. I have an exam next week and this is the last thing I need. (especially seeing as I took yesterday off completely to enjoy the sunshine)

In some ways it's great because my lungs are clearing themselves, the timing could have been better but am just counting myself lucky that this didn't land the morning of the exam.

Feeling verrrry sorry for myself but a cigarette is one thing that I do NOT want. Every cloud and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

I feel for you Daisy. This all happened to me. I was convinced I had swine flu at one stage. It probably is all the crap getting out of your system. Hope you feel better later!

This is awful :(. I went to the chemist and she recommended a bottle of Exputex (:eek:) Rotten stuff but hopefully it'll shift the gack quicker.

In dreadful form all day, hanging for a smoke even while coughing and coping with the most manky taste in my mouth. Listerine helps for around half an hour then it's back.

Not sure if I have an actual illness or if it's side-affects to quitting smoking after so many years, I'm thrun down with tiredness and feeling terrible.

Hopefully I'll feel better tomorrow, I just puked though so perhaps there's something else brewing :(.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Yag reuoY

Jesus, grow a pair will you. :rolleyes:

Imagine getting all emotional over a few cigs. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Yag eruoy banned for abuse!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Hang in there OP. If it was easy to give up there'd be very few smokers. Seven months off them myself this weekend and it's still a struggle.

I wonder what it is Yag reuoY would like me to grow a pair of?

Back on topic I'm feeling a lot better today; almost back to normal again. Trying to concentrate on the upcoming exam. I'm confident I'll get through it without a cig.

I'd just like to say thanks to those reading who give me support. I wouldn't be posting here if I didn't need it and I'm trying to be as truthful as I can be in the hope it will encourage people to stick with their quit :).

Aw boo!

I'm in the library in college and man; I really associate this place with smoking :(

Finding it really hard to get going with the study, keep wanting to go out and have a smoke

:mad::(:mad::(:mad::(:mad::(:mad::(:mad::(:mad:

• Advertisement

Yag reuoY wrote: »
    Jesus, grow a pair will you. :rolleyes:

Imagine getting all emotional over a few cigs. :rolleyes:

lol!
    Aw boo!

I'm in the library in college and man; I really associate this place with smoking :(

Finding it really hard to get going with the study, keep wanting to go out and have a smoke

Hope you got through that moment Daisy.

You're almost at one month!! :)

Bet you never thought you'd see that day!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭last name ever. first name greatest

I wonder what it is Yag reuoY would like me to grow a pair of?

Back on topic I'm feeling a lot better today; almost back to normal again. Trying to concentrate on the upcoming exam. I'm confident I'll get through it without a cig.

I'd just like to say thanks to those reading who give me support. I wouldn't be posting here if I didn't need it and I'm trying to be as truthful as I can be in the hope it will encourage people to stick with their quit :).

As Yag reouY is Youre Gay backwards I wouldn't pay much attention Daisy.

Well done you though. Really enjoyed reading your story so far, as a long term smoker here it gives me hope.

I'm gonna try theose e cigs to start to help ease the pain though :o

Keep up the fight.

As Yag reouY is Youre Gay backwards I wouldn't pay much attention Daisy.

Well done you though. Really enjoyed reading your story so far, as a long term smoker here it gives me hope.

I'm gonna try theose e cigs to start to help ease the pain though :o

Keep up the fight.

It's not even Youre Gay backwards, he can't even get that much right :) (Youer Gay)

Well done on deciding to quit! I strongly considered going down the e-cig route as I have a couple of friends who swear by them. However, once I had done some reading about nicotine and its effects I decided cold turkey was the route for me.

You will be so happy when you are an ex-smoker.

You quit 4 weeks, 5 hours, 41 minutes & 43 seconds ago. You have *not* smoked 423 cigs, saved EUR 181 and added 1.47 days to your life.

\0/

no-smoking-right.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Yag reuoY

You quit 4 weeks, 5 hours, 41 minutes & 43 seconds ago. You have *not* smoked 423 cigs, saved EUR 181 and added 1.47 days to your life.

\0/

no-smoking-right.gif

Only 1.47 days for a whole month of not smoking? It hardly seems worth giving up the cigs for that lousy return.

For a whole fag free year you only glean 22.05 days -- not even one month added.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Optimus485

Yag reuoY wrote: »
    Only 1.47 days for a whole month of not smoking? It hardly seems worth giving up the cigs for that lousy return.

For a whole fag free year you only glean 22.05 days -- not even one month added.

Honestly man, I think you've completely missed the point of this particular forum, the charter for this forum is at the top of the page.

I don't find your posts amusing or helpful, please don't post here again, this thread is a tangible record of my progress and I'd prefer not to have posts like yours involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭optogirl

Hi all, Gave up at about 6pm yesterday. Used the Allen Carr book before and went off them for a few months but went on that slippery slope of 'just one' and here I am again.

Nearly 24 hours now - felt a bit down and like my mouth was actually watering for a smoke today but resisted. Pretty hard in work because there's a group of us who always go at certain times but I managed it and it can only get easier ...I hope. About to go home from work and nervous I'll cave and go to the shop but I know I'll be disgusted with myself if I do. Might just go for a long walk instead and try to tire myself out for another early night!

Good luck and well done to all my fellow giver uppers and as Allen Carr says, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain by giving up. (If that made you vomit a little in your mouth, sorry)

Does anyone who has given up and stayed off them have any kind of timescale as to when they actually stopped thinking about it? That's what's driving me mad

Honestly man, I think you've completely missed the point of this particular forum, the charter for this forum is at the top of the page.

I don't find your posts amusing or helpful, please don't post here again, this thread is a tangible record of my progress and I'd prefer not to have posts like yours involved.

Great response Daisy!!!

You're doing so well!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭NavanEPS

Hi Optogirl
    I am off the cigs 7 1/2 weeks and it is much much easier now - but all days are different. Satuday I could have killed for a cigarette, but since then I have hardly thought of them - I mean AT ALL, not when I got up, had a cup of tea, lunch time etc etc. It is actually strange that now it seems I don't have that "something to do" after each usual trigger time.
    I was quite a heavy smoker and smoked for 25 years, so hopefully I am the worse case scenario replying to you and it will be much easier for you.

It is FANTASTIC to be off the cigarettes and now not needing them in my life or "thinking" about them. The thinking will drive you mad for a short while but it does ease over time. I can't give you a timeline though as we are all different. Just try and think of something else when you think of cigs, like how much they smell OR do you remember that last chest infection?? YUK :(

PLease please please stay off them and release yourself. Good Luck :)

• Advertisement

NavanEPS wrote: »
    Hi Optogirl
    I am off the cigs 7 1/2 weeks and it is much much easier now - but all days are different. Satuday I could have killed for a cigarette, but since then I have hardly thought of them - I mean AT ALL, not when I got up, had a cup of tea, lunch time etc etc. It is actually strange that now it seems I don't have that "something to do" after each usual trigger time.
    I was quite a heavy smoker and smoked for 25 years, so hopefully I am the worse case scenario replying to you and it will be much easier for you.

It is FANTASTIC to be off the cigarettes and now not needing them in my life or "thinking" about them. The thinking will drive you mad for a short while but it does ease over time. I can't give you a timeline though as we are all different. Just try and think of something else when you think of cigs, like how much they smell OR do you remember that last chest infection?? YUK :(

PLease please please stay off them and release yourself. Good Luck :)

Well done Navan. Thats fighting talk for sure! :)

Optogirl. I'm off them almost 9 months now and I honestly can't remember when it was that I stopped thinking about them. It just sort of happens without you noticing and then suddenly you think 'hey I got through that situation and I didn't think about cigarettes at all!' Then you know you're winning over the addiction thing and its a great feeling! It took me around 3 months to get to that stage. Since then I've probably craved a cigarette about three times but nothing serious. And the last time was probably two months ago.

Keep it up . Like Navan said the pain at the beginning really is worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭optogirl

thanks so much everyone - today seems a little easier - just a matter of distracting myself every time it pops into my head. Thanks again for the support

So the exam didn't phase me at all, no need for a smoke, in fact the smell of all the stressed out smokers almost made me hurl!

However, I must admit that today was a massive test and I'm still gumming for a fag.

The day started off well, It was my first free day in a long time and the sun was splitting the rocks so I took off in the car on a wee adventure. I hit charity shops in 3 different towns and got some real bargains :)

As I got near home I copped a rotten smell coming from the engine, got home and was really lucky the engine hadn't seized, not a drop of water despite me topping up the water and dipping for oil on Sunday. I just wanted a smoke so badly, but I thought about it and realised it was gonna pass so I let it go and tried to relax.

Got in home and put the kettle on for tea, massive bang from the bathroom, go in and there is water cascading down the wall of the shower, coming from the unit itself, not the shower head!

Dramarama, had to ring my brother to come down as the water was still pumping out despite me having turned the main switch off.

The stop cock for my house is located in the gap of a field in the pitch dark, however he managed to turn it off.

Now I'm sitting here, my car is ucked, my shower is ucked, I'm skint and I don't even know if I passed that exam or not,

Tough times ladies and gents, tough times. Thank christ there's no cigs in the gaff, I'd nearly smoke one just to feel bad about it . . . .

That is so unlucky...you poor thing. I hope it all gets sorted for you asap. Insurance will cover everything. At least you're ok!

But in the meantime you're doing so so well not having a smoke.

I'm feeling stressed for you!

This time next week everything will be fixed. You'll have forgotten about it all and still be a non smoker at Christmas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Brandon111

Tips to stop smoking:

Begin an exercise program. Exercise is simply incompatible
    with smoking. Exercise relieves stress and helps your body
    recover from years of damage from cigarettes. If necessary,
    start slow, with a short walk once or twice per day. Build up to
    30 to 40 minutes of rigorous activity, 3 or 4 times per week.
    Consult your physician before beginning any exercise program.

Do some deep breathing each day for 3 to 5 minutes. Breathe
    in through your nose very slowly, hold the breath for a few
    seconds, and exhale very slowly through your mouth. Try doing
    your breathing with your eyes closed.

Visualize your way to becoming a non-smoker. While doing your
    deep breathing in step 8, you can close your eyes and begin to
    imagine yourself as a non-smoker. See yourself enjoying your
    exercise in step 7. See yourself turning down a cigarette that
    someone offers you. See yourself throwing all your cigarettes
    away, and winning a gold medal for doing so. Develop your own
    creative visualizations. Visualization works.

<snip mod edit>

Brandon111 wrote: »
    Tips to stop smoking:

Have you even read my thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Have you even read my thread?

Ignore it, it's just a spammer.

A pretty bad spammer at that, cheek of him! I'm at 5 weeks and counting :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 sarahmeen22

Well done i really hope you stay off them!!i really need to give up but find it hard and i get really cranky when i dont smoke but il have to get over that and think about my health and the money il save best of luck with it i hope u stay off them:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

A pretty bad spammer at that, cheek of him! I'm at 5 weeks and counting :)

Just hit week 8 (I think) myself, this time next week it will be two months. How do you find it in general? I find that most of the cravings have stopped now, the only time I really get it bad is when really stressed, but that's more wanting to smoke out of spite than anything else I think =) Like you said, just to feel bad about it. The shower and the car troubles suck, but life still has some good points. You have a few hundred euro extra to put towords repairs thanks to not smoking, and you can probably skip a shower for a day because you don't stink of fags. :P

Advertisement