Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary school teaching as mature student

Options
  • 26-07-2010 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I hope it doesnt seem as though I'm being lazy and coming here for the easy answer, but I have spent ages looking at websites and financial advise sites and my head is currently in a tizzy!

I want to return to college to study for Primary teaching.
    I live in Dublin so St Pats would be ideal.
    I believe my Leaving cert (2001) results are sufficient to qualify for the course.
    I have a 2:2 degree in Psychology (2004)

I am currently working full time and getting married next March so my hope would be to apply for beginning in September 2011. The financial aspect is the biggest concern, I just cant begin to imagine how I could support myself without working, and if I had to pay fees the problems multiply!

Could anyone please advise me where to start and how to go about checking my eligability for free fees, grants etc?

I really want to do this but my head is in a spin- any advise gladly recieved!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭smilerxxx

Hi ya,

Right Im sorry to be the bearer of bad news but unfortunately because you already have a degree you do not qualify for free fee's. The government only pays for one I'm afraid. And if you obtained your degree in a private college they still won't pay. The fee's would be about 7.5k a year

Your income in 2010 will determine your eligiblity for a grant in 2011. So they will take both you and your future husbands p60's for this year, and if you exceed a combined income of about 52k you don't qualify for the grant either.

Maybe take a look at this site www.studentfinance.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

If it is a higher level course then you can qualify for free fee's I think but considering you done psychology I would presume that is a level 8 and teaching might also be a level 8 honours degree. Check that out anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭smilerxxx

yeah sorry I didn't make that clear, but since you mentioned a 2.2 I presumed your degree was level 8.

If your degree is level 7 you may qualify as you are continuing your education. B.Ed is a level 8

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

You might be financially better off to check your eligibility for the Grad Diploma in Primary Teaching OP. This is an 18 month course to train people with pre-existing degrees as primary teachers. Its offered through the Colleges of Education. Have a look here for St Pats, Drumcondra,
    http://www.spd.dcu.ie/main/courses/postgraduate/grad_ed_info.shtml

The downside is that it doesnt run every year and this years intake has been completed. The next intake, if it goes ahead might not be till the end of 2010, with the course starting in Feb 2011. Also I'm not sure if its part of the free fees scheme but the current economic cost of this course over the three semesters is about €9,000. From the Dept of Education website it does look as if its covered by some form of financial support but you need to talk to your local authority or County Council grants office for specifics. DES: http://www.education.ie/home/home.jsp?maincat=&pcategory=10900&ecategory=19312&sectionpage=12251&language=EN&link=link001&page=1&doc=42679

As regards the B.Ed three year degree you would be liable for fees for this course as its at the same level as your existing psych degree and for the same reason you would not be eligible for the grant. The B.Ed fees in 2009/2010 in St Pats were just over €4000 per year not including the materials charge of €250 and the registration charge of €1500.

From a money pov it does look as if the Grad Dip would be a cheaper, quicker and equally valid option.

Best of luck whatever you decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

Hi All,

Thanks for the advise. It was the 18 month diploma I was thinking of doing, as you said the quickest and easiest way. :)

I would probably not be looking to do it until the intake of 2012 (which I know isnt guaranteed to happen) so the timing isnt so bad.

I'm not sure at all what's meant by the level 7 or level 8 degrees. Mine is called BSC Hons Psychology, level 8 so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Thumpette wrote: »
    Hi All,

Thanks for the advise. It was the 18 month diploma I was thinking of doing, as you said the quickest and easiest way. :)

I would probably not be looking to do it until the intake of 2012 (which I know isnt guaranteed to happen) so the timing isnt so bad.

I'm not sure at all what's meant by the level 7 or level 8 degrees. Mine is called BSC Hons Psychology, level 8 so?

Level 7 is an ordinary level degree

Level 8 is an honours level degree

http://www.nfq.ie/nfq/en/FanDiagram/nqai_nfq_08.html

Advertisement