Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing a window for painting...

• 26-07-2010 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Hi there,

Hope someone can help me here. I have been trying to remove a window for stripping and painting but haven't been able to manage it.

The window is wooden framed, the window in question is a small window over a larger casement window which opens outwards on the left hand side of the main window pane. This larger casement window lifted off easily from it's hinges.

The small window is hung horizontally from the top of the window frame on the same type of lift off hinges as those used on the larger casement window below it. The strange thing is that the lift off hinges oppose each other so the window won't slide off. There is also not enough give on either of the hinges to slide take off one side and then the other.

Has anyone come across this before and do they know how to remove such a window?

Thanks for taking the time to read my post...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Can you not take out the screws on on hinge and remove it so that the window will then slide off the other one? I imagine they are opposed as otherwise the window would slide off in wind when opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭JJDoherty

ART6 wrote: »
    Can you not take out the screws on on hinge and remove it so that the window will then slide off the other one? I imagine they are opposed as otherwise the window would slide off in wind when opened.

Hi, thanks for the reply. Ideally that is what I would do but the hinges seem to be buried into the window frame somehow not screwed to the frame as they do not have flaps.

Thanks again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Ok well what u need to do is get a vice grips or a pliers and turn one of them ginger around so that both hinges face the same direction. Do the opposite then when u reinstall it. Them hinges are screwed into the window frame and the other half into the window if u get what i mean? I cant remember the name of them ginger for the life of me but from what u describe and what you are saying that is what you need to do.

Ok well what u need to do is get a vice grips or a pliers and turn one of them ginger around so that both hinges face the same direction. Do the opposite then when u reinstall it. Them hinges are screwed into the window frame and the other half into the window if u get what i mean? I cant remember the name of them ginger for the life of me but from what u describe and what you are saying that is what you need to do.

Hi galwaydude,

Thanks for the suggestion, sorry for the delay in posting but I've been away. Anyway, not too sure how I can twist one of the hinges around while the window is still attached.

I could force one of the hinges out of the frame or the window which would enable me to slide off the other hinge, removing the window but I'm a bit nervous about doing this until I know I can put it back.

Any other suggestions welcome. Thanks again though...

you should be able to do it with the window attached. Any chance of a pic to see the setup u have?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Im familiar with these hinges. Think they re call quickhinges. Found on internal doors also. Some installers did fit them facing each other to prevent the pane from slipping off. Dont try to take the window off as you will never get it back on and I dont think you can get them anymore.

I got them about 3years ago for a window that needed one of them hinges as it had completly rusted through

you should be able to do it with the window attached. Any chance of a pic to see the setup u have?

Hi Galwaydude,

That's a good idea and when I get a chance, when I'm at the house again, I'll take a pic and post it here. Thanks...

Hi again,

Here are some pictures of the window and hinges in question. To re-cap the small window is on two hinges which appear to oppose each other and so can't slide off. The last picture is of the vertically hung window below the small upper window which does simply lift off its' hinges.

Any suggestion on how I might remove this window would be appreciated.

Thanks again.

picture.php?albumid=1350&pictureid=7112
    1. Small window.

picture.php?albumid=1350&pictureid=7113
    2. Hinge.

picture.php?albumid=1350&pictureid=7114
    3. Lower vertical window, off hinges.

Ya them hinges are exactly what i thought they were. Turn them around wit a pliars or vice grips as I described in my earlier post

• Advertisement

Ya them hinges are exactly what i thought they were. Turn them around wit a pliars or vice grips as I described in my earlier post

Hi GalwayDude, I'm afraid I don't understand how it's possible to turn these hinges around with pilars or vice grips when one side of the hinge is attached to the window and the other side to the window frame. Maybe I'm missing something, any explanation would be appreciated.

see in your third picture the way the ginger comes off?well thats the its installed in top window wit the exception that one hinge gets turned around the opposite direction once the window is installed.the reason that is done is to prevent the window from falling off after its installed hence why you need turn one of the hinges the opposite direction to the way it is now or you will never get the window off. Hope that helps

see in your third picture the way the ginger comes off?well thats the its installed in top window wit the exception that one hinge gets turned around the opposite direction once the window is installed.the reason that is done is to prevent the window from falling off after its installed hence why you need turn one of the hinges the opposite direction to the way it is now or you will never get the window off. Hope that helps

Thanks for your help GalywayDude, it is appreciated, however I still don't see how, with one half of the hinge attached to the window frame and the other attached to the small window itself, that the hinge can be "turned around" to face the other direction. One half of the hinge is at a right angle to the other so cannot pivot on itself while the small window is attached.

Both parts will pivot together.I removed a small window like yours a few years ago the same way as I have described to you in my earlier post

Both parts will pivot together.I removed a small window like yours a few years ago the same way as I have described to you in my earlier post

GalwayDude, thanks for all the input, much appreciated. Will let you know how I get on...

let me know how u get on.im off on hols for the week now so il check your progress when i get back!

Did you get sorted out with this since?

Advertisement