Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best baby bottles...

Options
  • 26-07-2010 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

Hiya im just wondering can anyone recommend the best type of baby bottles? i dont know if this should be in the parent section or not just wondering has anyone any suggestions.. im planning on breastfeeding for the first few weeks but want to have the bottles side sorted beforehand aswell.. iv heard tommee tippee are good? Thanks! :)

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Hi, I'm planning on breast feeding and I asked the chemist which bottles are best to have on standby and she recommended the Tommee Tippee 'Closer to Nature' range..

http://www.tommeetippee.co.uk/department/bottle_feeding/

I've started stocking up on them :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Definitely the tommee tippee anti colic plus bottles.

http://www.tommeetippee.co.uk/product/health_check_anti-colic_bottles_-twin_pack/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

What are the Phillips avent range like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

I use the Avent bottles and find them fine! I breast fed exclusively for the first month and then combined feeding until 4 months and never had any problems with feeding from either the breast or bottle.

I don't know about the tommee tippee but I know the Avent stuff is great for expressing into the Via tubs and these fit into the Avent bottle warmer. The tubs are now coming in great for storing dinners and although I don't really use the bottle warmer, it can be used to heat baby food in the Via tubs from either room temp, chilled or frozen.

The microwave sterilizer is nice and easy to use too.

I also have handle attachment things so that my little lady is learning to hold the bottles herself.

My only complaint would be that if you get milk powder around the rim, the bottles can leak when shaken.

Like I say, I don't know much about other brands but I just think the Avent range is great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Cat, to stop the avent bottles leaking, if you twist anti clockwise first until you hear the click, the tighten as normal, no more leaks.;) This applies to the tt bottles as well.

i think for breast feeding, the tommee tippee ones are recommended, as the teat resemble the shape of the nipple. But beware, the old tommee tippee bottles measurements are clear in colour and nearly impossible to read when you have boiling water in them, its only in the last few months that they have changed this to a black colour, but most places are still holding stock of the old bottles including tesco and mothercare.Check before you buy. Found this a nightmare and also found the tt sterliser drowned everything in sight and thus changed everything to avent. in hindsight it was probably first time mam struggles, but cannot fault avent in any way. The accessories for avent are second to none, everything is interchangable and no need for training cups with the handles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Also +1 on the microwave sterliser, dont know why anyone uses the electric ones, ours is always in the microwave, out of sight and it sterlises the same ammount as the electric ones, but is half the size and price.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

There's a small problem with the Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature bottles but it's easily fixed. The anti colic valves need to be pinched open each time or the teats collapse. However if you put the business end of a chopstick into the valve and stretch it out it seems to solve the issue for once and for all.

I find them great and did when I was breastfeeding too, he had no problem going over and back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Hope this thread isn't too old to revive :o

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the Dr. Brown bottles. Like others I am planning on breastfeeding predominantly however I would like good bottles on standby just in case and I liked the look of the Dr. Brown's Natural Flow bottles.

http://www.handi-craft.com/

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Das Kitty wrote: »
    There's a small problem with the Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature bottles but it's easily fixed. The anti colic valves need to be pinched open each time or the teats collapse. However if you put the business end of a chopstick into the valve and stretch it out it seems to solve the issue for once and for all.

I find them great and did when I was breastfeeding too, he had no problem going over and back.

We have never had this issue with either child...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Moonbeam wrote: »
    We have never had this issue with either child...

I had it with every single bottle. We didnt have the anticolic ones though. It wore off though, still using them in the morning and night. Couple of friends of mine gave up on the bottles over the issue too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

I breastfed for over a year and used Avent bottles for expressed milk from 3-4 weeks. I chose Avent simply because I had given him an Avent soother when he was 4 days old and figured it would be easiest to use a bottle with the same teat shape. We never had a bother with them. Some babies have difficulties with various types of bottle, it's really just trial and error until you find what works for your baby. You might be grand with the first one that comes along or you might have to go through a pile before you find the right one. I would only recommend leaving off introducing the bottle until you've been breastfeeding for at least 3 weeks - both for establishing your supply (there'll have been at least one growth spurt by then) and giving baby a chance to become comfortable enough about feeding that s/he won't mind switching to a different dispenser.

Das Kitty wrote: »

It might be the level of teats, we used vari flow and now the #3 ones and vari flow. I think I know what you mean though they suck in the teat and you have to let air in to it to go back in shape? It has happened a couple of times with the anti colic plus ones but not regularly.

It just proves everything is different for everyone. We most likely use different formulas too.

My 1st would drink from anything my 2nd won't touch the advent bottles or anything with the smaller teats.

#2 also split nearly all of the brand new teats that I got her and mastered the art of the 20 second bottle!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

We've always used Tommee Tippee and never had a problem with the teat....at least not anything I knew about :D The only problem I found with them was because they're small and fat, trying to fit them all in the steamer was a bit of a struggle. But other than that we had no probs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

I'm reluctant to get a microwave steriliser as for some reason I don't like the idea of using them on stuff for the baby. In the same vein, I wouldn't be keen on microwaving bottles for baby. Does anyone feel the same as me or am I just mad. My sister in law wants to get us the steriliser & was amazed when I said I didn't want a microwave one. I do use a microwave, but for some reason, don't want to use it so early for the baby stuff. Must get it from my mam, she's phobic about microwaves from the day they came out!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I have a Milton cold water sterilizer and I find it great.. simple and easy to use.. I seem to be the only Mother I know using it though.. everyone else I know who's had a baby recently got microwave one.. They just look a bit finicky and complicated for my liking :o

I've never had any problems with the cold water one and I'll be keeping it by for any future babies..

Mine was handed down to me by my Sister who had her last baby 5 years go.. They actually sell it in the gift shop in the Rotunda but I haven't really seen them anywhere else..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I don't use a microwave steriliser either, I got one of those steam ones that you plug in to the wall. They're great, but as I say I do remember a bit of difficulty fitting them all in. I'm like you Oral Slang, I just have a thing about the microwave ones.

I have to say though, try and have a re-think about the microwaving the bottles. i know they don't recommend it and you should always be careful that there are no hotspots in it...but once you get the timing right it's a god send. Especially when it comes to that 3am feed and you've to wait for the kettle to boil, but the bottle in and wait for it to heat up, it is tough! :D

I'm a but dubious about those Milton ones Xzanti, I always feel, because the milton is left on them that the chemicals get into the baby's system. Silly I know. My sis in law swears by it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Currently using the Tommee Tippee and find them great, using the Variflow teats.

Think they have the Steriliser for them on sale in Mothercare at the moment, and Argos are good for the 6 pack bottles from time to time as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

I have to say though, try and have a re-think about the microwaving the bottles. i know they don't recommend it and you should always be careful that there are no hotspots in it...but once you get the timing right it's a god send. Especially when it comes to that 3am feed and you've to wait for the kettle to boil, but the bottle in and wait for it to heat up, it is tough! :D
    I'm planning on breastfeeding anyway and when I move onto formula I'll be going with room temperature bottles so hopefully won't need to bother heating them either way.
    I know it's probably mad, as I do use the microwave at home for certain things (cooking rice, baking potatoes etc), but I just think the baby will be so tiny, so don't want to risk anything when I don't need to. My mam has always been convinced that there's radiation risk from it, so I guess my worries stem from her saying it when we were kids. She has always refused to use one & my brother won't get one either.

Advertisement