Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamster has 2 growths

Options
  • 26-07-2010 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭

My Syrian hamster has 2 small growths on either side of him, dark grey/green in colour, noticed it yesterday when i was cleaning his cage, it looked like just a dark patch of fur but on looking closer I can see a little lump, anyone know what it might be? Will prob have to take him to the vet, what kinds of costs am I looking at for a checkup? never had to take a pet to the vet before :( He doesnt seem sick or acting in any way differently, still comes running when he hears the bag I keep his food in being rustled and hes running in his wheel and all that.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I don't mean to scare you but I think cancer is common in hamsters. I know someone who lost a lot of hamsters to cancer, but not syrian hamsters, so not sure about them.

For a dog or cat, a vet consultation might be €40-50 but they might charge less for a hamster, some vets do. Then any medication or procedures would cost more.

I hope he'll be ok and that it isn't cancer. Oh and what age is he?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

What age is your hamster? and where exactly are these lumps? Ive had someone bring a hamster to me with 2 lumps and they were his testicles:D

Hamsters are prone to cancer though especially hamsters over 2 years, and mostly there is not much anyone can do except make them comfortable.

The best thing to do for him if you are not sure is to get him checked out by a vet. The costs really vary a lot and it depends where you are, In Dublin for example there are moile blue cross clinics who would see your pet for a donation.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Fitzg

you are a very good owner to be keeping an eye on the little guy :) I love hamsters - they have such personality...
    Maybe the two growths are hip-spots?
    www.hammysworld.com/index.php?p=hipspots
    if not def go to the vet...
    here is the link to the blue cross mobile clinic
    http://www.bluecross.ie/areas.html
    and there is also the wonderful team at the Animal Welfare Hospital at Charlemont St.
    best of luck and sending cuddles to your little dude ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Fitzg wrote: »
    you are a very good owner to be keeping an eye on the little guy :) I love hamsters - they have such personality...
    Maybe the two growths are hip-spots?
    www.hammysworld.com/index.php?p=hipspots
    if not def go to the vet...
    here is the link to the blue cross mobile clinic
    http://www.bluecross.ie/areas.html
    and there is also the wonderful team at the Animal Welfare Hospital at Charlemont St.
    best of luck and sending cuddles to your little dude ;)

Oh, thats exactly where they are, they look identical to whats in the hip spots pics theres one on either side so thats probably what it is :) I've actually no idea how old he is, he was bought for me. His cage has smelled a bit different lately as well wonder would that have anything to do with it? if he's secreting something?

phew! what a relief - we had this scare too a few times when we started keeping hamsters so I thought it might be the same when I read your thread. I'm glad he is ok :) yes they use the scent glands for marking the territory - sometimes you see them rubbing themselves along the side of the cage or along the skirting board if you let him out for a walk. Maybe that is what you are smelling... glad he is ok

• Advertisement

ea2khs.jpg

Thats one of them, the pic isnt great quality as its on a crappy camera phone and, well have you ever tried to get a hamster to sit still :D

and this is the little dude in question :)

2d92o78.jpg

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAW he is SO CUTE :) He looks young too, I think he may be at the age when he is maturing and that is why you are noticing the hip spots now... I can't see in the other photo though but if the spots are symmetrically placed and you think it looks the same as in the photo you are probably safe enough - but trust your judgement and if you are worried defo talk to the vets. He is a real little beauty!

yeah they're in the exact same place on either side of him, you can just see a small indent in his fur on the bottom pic of him on his lower left side, thats where they are, I might ring the vet anyway but I checked a few sites and the more pics I see the more it looks the same as what he has.

thanks btw :)

Advertisement