Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is safe to walk this route in Dublin 8?

Options
  • 26-07-2010 4:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭HumanAfterAll

Hi,

My company recently moved to another place, so now I'm considering how am I going to get there. I'm a outsider (spaniard), besides a very visible one because my dark skin/hair, I use to walk alone and carrying a big bagpack... and I have had advice from other people about which neighbourhoods I should avoid and how they look... and these looks exactly like them :P

This is the route I should use:

Is it safe? or there is any path I should avoid?

And what about Brigdefoot Street?

What do you think?

This post could sound like silly, but I know lots of people have been attacked without any reason by teens or drunkards or "funny" people that throws bottles or eggs from their cars... at any time. In my personal record, one teen ridding a bicycle tried to give me a punch in the face and other day in Nassau St. a drunkard threw me a plastic bottle full of water and open from a car and from behind and hit me in the back (they failed, they were pointing to my head), even so, I still consider myself a lucky one... and I'd like to follow being so :D

Kind regards.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

What time of day/night?

Also in the second route (Bridgefoot St) if it's at night stick to going down Thomas Court and not that laneway.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

id go with option 1 as they are pretty busy seemingly safe roads (college green to thomas street)
    Bridgefoot looks abit run down when ive been around and some of the streets around it aint too pretty either!

You would be safe on any route in that area. Never hear of any problems in work. Just obviously remember to exercise caution about carrying thing in an obvious way. Like an iPhone around a bunch of people who look dodgy. Same applies all over the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Yeah you'll be fine.. There is generally lots of pedestrian traffic at work times around there anyway, so i dont think you'll be walking down any streets etc alone...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Option 1 all the way; the odds of something happening to you during normal commuter times are almost zero. Just keep your wits about you after you leave Thomas St because there'll be a lot less people around. Is the big backpack really necessary? If you have to bring a laptop with you get a bag that doesn't advertise the fact.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Safe enough route. But as people have said you should always have your wits about you no matter where in the city you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭HumanAfterAll

It would be at daylight, go to work and get back home.

The backpack is a sport bag, nothing valuable inside (towel, tracksuit, gloves, etc...), something like this, but uglier.

The second route (Brigdefoot) is because there is a gym right there (close to the corner with the quay) that I'd like to join... and the classes start at 7pm, so maybe I could cross over there around 6:40pm, I don't know if you consider that time "late".

Thanks for all the comments!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Mara.

You will fit in with that backpack. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

Mara. wrote: »
    You will fit in with that backpack. :rolleyes:

TBH there's lots of tourists in the area because of the Guinness storehouse

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭havana

I walk a very similiar route to and from work everyday at 6.30 am and at 5. Never had any problems and in the winter it can be pretty dark. As said take the usual precautions and you'll be fine

• Advertisement

murrayp4 wrote: »
    TBH there's lots of tourists in the area because of the Guinness storehouse

Ah yeah, but not late at night. Still that backpack should do the job, ive a similar one myself sellin the knock off dvd's and stuff.. ok im going to shut up now. il get myself a rainbow of cards off makikomi.

Ah no but he will be grand. :)

The second route (Brigdefoot) is because there is a gym right there (close to the corner with the quay) that I'd like to join... and the classes start at 7pm, so maybe I could cross over there around 6:40pm, I don't know if you consider that time "late".

Again as said earlier, the general area is fine. Bridgefoot St has good bit of traffic, pedestrian and vehicle at all times of the day. The areas had a reputation in the past but it is gone now. Still get a good number of junkies though.
    Mara. wrote: »
    Ah yeah, but not late at night. Still that backpack should do the job, ive a similar one myself sellin the knock off dvd's and stuff.. ok im going to shut up now. il get myself a rainbow of cards off makikomi.

Ah no but he will be grand. :)

Investigation beginning! :D

i was joking! jeez :p and anyways who buys knock off dvd's nowadays. its all about free download haha.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

Is safe to walk this route in Dublin 8?

Yes and No.

Also in the second route (Bridgefoot St) if it's at night stick to going down Thomas Court and not that laneway.;)

Second route is grand too, but personnally I would go down Thomas Court rather than the lane you have marked on the map.;)

knird evol wrote: »
    Yes and No.

I'm guessing you're saying No because you either don't live in Dublin 8 or you live in Dublin 8 and have a price on your head.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

it's grand. That whole area is teeming with people during work hours. The hospital, Guinness, 151, IAWS, Digital Hub, NCAD for working and two of the most popular tourist destinations in the country in the Storehouse and the Royal Hospital / Kilmainham Gaol.

uberwolf wrote: »
    Royal Hospital / Kilmainham Gaol.

You been drinking? the Royal Hospital is a good aul walk away from school street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭HumanAfterAll

knird evol wrote: »
    Yes and No.

ermm... do you have any special reason? :rolleyes:

About the lane, yes... I didn't realize that Google maps drew the path across the lane, but my intention is use Thomas Court :D

Thanks everybody!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

The hill on Bridgefoot Street can be a bit tiring (I cycle up it every day) but that would be my only complaint about either of those routes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Hi, you will have no problems at all. I live in that area and it's fine. My wife walks home a similar way at 9pm some nights and has never felt threatened and she's only 5 foot tall and from the countryside (not a hard towny)

I'm also a member in that gym. I don't do the classes though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I've lived in the area too for a few years. It's not a particularly nice area, there is a lot of social housing nearby and there is quite a drug problem, but once you keep awareness of your surroundings you should be fine. I wouldn't walk around with obvious jewelery or laptops or the like, although I walk through the area in a suit and have never had any hassle :)

Route A is fine until you turn off Thomas street - then be careful. As was mentioned below, during the day you will have lots of eejit tourists walking around lost with huge cameras dangling out of them and they don't get hassle. Bridgefoot street is fine, it's nice and wide and you can usually spot trouble.

There is a few gangs of teenagers around but I've never seen anything more than vandalism (I wouldn't park a car overnight in the Bridgefoot area). Nevertheless, it isn't an area I would drop my guard in (or walk home drunk through).

At night I would stick to busy streets.

hmmm wrote: »
    I've lived in the area too for a few years. It's not a particularly nice area, there is a lot of social housing nearby and there is quite a drug problem, but once you keep awareness of your surroundings you should be fine. I wouldn't walk around with obvious jewelery or laptops or the like, although I walk through the area in a suit and have never had any hassle :)

Route A is fine until you turn off Thomas street - then be careful. As was mentioned below, during the day you will have lots of eejit tourists walking around lost with huge cameras dangling out of them and they don't get hassle. Bridgefoot street is fine, it's nice and wide and you can usually spot trouble.

There is a few gangs of teenagers around but I've never seen anything more than vandalism (I wouldn't park a car overnight in the Bridgefoot area). Nevertheless, it isn't an area I would drop my guard in (or walk home drunk through).

At night I would stick to busy streets.

Few years, I've lived here 19 years, walked that route numerous times at night between 11pm-2am and only one time have I had any bother and that was some little kid trying to throw an eye at me from a flat which missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

Bridgefoot St. is fine, walk it at nights many a time. only ever got hassle once and that was having snowballs thrown at me "they missed for 10 yards".

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

Few years, I've lived here 19 years, walked that route numerous times at night between 11pm-2am and only one time have I had any bother and that was some little kid trying to throw an eye at me from a flat which missed.

Ye wha?

skregs wrote: »
    Ye wha?

Meant to say egg my good sir!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

This is so shameful. A thread like this would have been posted (should there have been such a forum) way back in deep southern America over 100 years ago.

Here we are today with little knacker types terrorising anyone 'foreign' that comes in their despicable "space". I truly despair.

• Honestly, it's totally different when you're foreign or look foreign. I have Irish friends who've lived in D8 for years and never had any hassle, but I've had loads. Sure, I've also walked around without any bother lots of times, but if I've had trouble, it's generally been in that area, starting on Dame Street. There seems to be a high number of scummers who look down on foreigners, as if they think their Dutch Gold drinking, heroin addicted, scummy selves are better than you. It is generally not a nice place to be for anyone with all the open dealing that goes on. I've had bus drivers refuse to leave me on and around Cork Street. Chances are nothing too serious will happen, but don't be walking around daydreaming. It's a scummy little place and people WILL pick on you for your appearance. As you said, it's already happened, so you have a good idea of what Dublin scum are like. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

I used to live in Dublin 8 a few years ago (yeah, Spanishtown :D), never had any problem walking around the place late at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭seeing_ie

Live in the area and never had any trouble walking around any hour of the day or night. Spend half the time giving directions to tourists.

Just take the same precautions you'd take walking around any city OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

The point is that it is a racist thing - if you look foreign you will be a target by these little thugs -

Advertisement