Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor Access Point

Options
  • 26-07-2010 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

Hi

Can anyone recommend a decent 2.4ghz outdoor access point.

I am currently using a stella doradus unit I bought off wi-pipe.com, but its currently on its last legs. It did the job for several years, but now its loosing signal strength, and I cant log into its web server, and have to physically reset every now and then.

I think its 12 dbi, so would like similar.

Its for a domestic point to point link of about 1km through trees.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

http://www.wi-pipe.com/nanostation2-p-313.html?antenna=070d15545ad10ee13ba820ccf5eec49a

Can't predict how well it will go through trees though, as with any device.
    Nanostations are compact and easy to use, while powerfull. 10dbi gain. 26dbm max power.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

For a point-to-point link like that I'd prefer something with a slightly higher gain antenna. I'd probably use one of the the Mikrotik-based units here

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭marathont

bhickey wrote: »
    For a point-to-point link like that I'd prefer something with a slightly higher gain antenna. I'd probably use one of the the Mikrotik-based units here

Yes, I would like something like that, although I would like to keep the cost down. The nanostation is less than half the price, so I dont know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Well what sort of spec is the Stella Doradus unit that you're currently using then? As long as you get an equivalent or better unit then you should be okay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

I say go for the nanostation, it's more compact and easier to setup.

• Advertisement
Advertisement