Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fallow Deer Fawn

Options
  • 26-07-2010 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

We have been looking after a fallow fawn for 10 days now, he is injured, lost a hindfoot and the other hindleg have the skin damaged by the silage/grass cutting machine. He was hidden in the grass. Bought to the vet for stiches.
    I have been feeding him on lukewarm goat milk.
    He have not eaten yet. he seem very well despite his injuries and he is standing and attempting to walk every now and then.
    Can you suggest anything else I should feed him on to put on weight as he is very thin and is there a suitable santuary for injured wildlife?
    Look forward to your reply.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Bearpup

Hi mylittlepony,

Unfortunately I cant offer any advice on this but I just wanted to say best of luck and keep us updated on this progress!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

We have been looking after a fallow fawn for 10 days now, he is injured, lost a hindfoot and the other hindleg have the skin damaged by the silage/grass cutting machine. He was hidden in the grass. Bought to the vet for stiches.
    I have been feeding him on lukewarm goat milk.
    He have not eaten yet. he seem very well despite his injuries and he is standing and attempting to walk every now and then.
    Can you suggest anything else I should feed him on to put on weight as he is very thin and is there a suitable santuary for injured wildlife?
    Look forward to your reply.
    Post this on the shooting forum, they would have a lot of knowledge about deer and might be able to give good advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Well done for making the effort. Look/phone here as they are the experts:

http://www.sttiggywinkles.org.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭mylittlepony

Here a pic of fawn:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Please contact someone here, this site is an excellent resource

http://www.irishwildlifematters.ie/animals/deer.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Bearpup

Here a pic of fawn:

WOW, he is a little beauty :-) have you named him? he looks like a bambi / bambino :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

Here a pic of fawn:

I want one!!!!!!!!

Adorable, thanks for the pic :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24fao-yo0hk

best of luck with bambi:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

He would probably be best at a wildlife sanctuary it is possible for deer live happily perhaps with a small group of other deer at a sanctuary or a responsibly run pet farm..a lot of dodgy pet farms out there so be careful where you go.

Do check out the wildlifematters site as mentioned as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

In your original post, you said he's lost one of his back feet. How much loss is this? A total stump? Has the vet treated this amputation?

I'm concerned that he's trying to stand. If the leg is left too long, without a prosthesis he may damage the stump by managing to put weight on it. The flip side is that until he has a life plan - e.g. if they're going to put him in a herd at a sanctuary - there should be no further treatment of that leg because it may be possible to fit a prosthetic foot, or a vet may decide to amputate further so the deer has better balance on just three legs. It may be that the stump should be bandaged until then to protect it.

It's all a bit up in the air, but if he seriously has only three viable remaining feet, he'll never survive in the wild and will need a longer term plan quickly so his walking is sorted out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement