Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless Speakers?

• 26-07-2010 5:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭

Just wondering here if anyone knows anything about wireless speakers.

I have my amp, cd player turntable and main speakers in one room, but i'd like to get some sounds into the kitchen, which is right beside it.

Dont want the hassle of wires, so i was thinking about a pair of wireless speakers, are they expensive? and more importantly are they any use?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

giftgrub wrote: »
    Just wondering here if anyone knows anything about wireless speakers.

I have my amp, cd player turntable and main speakers in one room, but i'd like to get some sounds into the kitchen, which is right beside it.

Dont want the hassle of wires, so i was thinking about a pair of wireless speakers, are they expensive? and more importantly are they any use?

They are generally rubbish. Actually thery are always rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Colour me unconvinced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭M00lers

Surely a bit of speaker cable is less hassle and expense than some dodgy "wireless" monstrosity that needs to be plugged in to a power source.:rolleyes:

Surely a bit of speaker cable is less hassle and expense than some dodgy "wireless" monstrosity that needs to be plugged in to a power source.:rolleyes:

particularly if this is going to be a permanant kitchen setup. Kitchens are the easiest to wire up, loads of presses/cupboards to hide wires on.

• Advertisement

So you'd be willing to bet some money on WiFi just being a passing fad that will soon die off, when people realise the error of their ways, and we'll all soon get back to good old ethernet cables ? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭M00lers

Huh?
    What are you on about?

cnocbui wrote: »
    So you'd be willing to bet some money on WiFi just being a passing fad that will soon die off, when people realise the error of their ways, and we'll all soon get back to good old ethernet cables ? :rolleyes:

it doesn't work for speakers or headphones... not with any degree of quality anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

Heres a rough plan of the room layout.

The problem is we only have new floorboards down about a year...don't think the missus would be too impressed if i started pulling them up.

Suggestions are welcome!!

pub?id=1U97bPYC-6ipIf3NzZsJq1kg2uI7w_KXm0otSu7CcF5o&w=480&h=360

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    it doesn't work for speakers or headphones... not with any degree of quality anyway.

You can stream audio to active speakers and headphones using lossless digital streaming. That constitutes an adequate degree of quality.

• Advertisement

Heres a rough plan of the room layout.

The problem is we only have new floorboards down about a year...don't think the missus would be too impressed if i started pulling them up.

Do you have a roof space you can run wires through?

cnocbui wrote: »
    That constitutes an adequate degree of quality.

That would be an opinion, and not one I share.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Open the door to the kitchen and turn up the volume?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭andy1249

The problem with wireless speakers ....

The vast majority of speakers take an analog signal.
    Amps are designed to get the best possible reproduction of that analog signal to the speakers given the design budget.

Good amps do this extremely well.

What wireless speakers then do , is take this "best effort" signal , modulate it onto a carrier , send it through the air , possibly picking up all sorts of noise on the way depending what else you have in the house that works at that frequency , de-modulate it , and feed it to the speakers.

There is simply no way to do this without affecting the quality.
    This is why most quality speaker manufacturers dont do them , high end equipment makes dont go near them , and probably never will.

Wireless speakers that you see on all in one boxes are almost always confined to the rear speakers , where the content is mostly sound effects and not as critical , and even in those systems the results are poor at best.

Wires are always better.

Streaming units such as Squeezbox and Sonos use wireless , but this is for Data prior to processing with a D/A converter.
    Data can be sent over the air with no loss at all , then the unit uses either its own dac or an external one to convert the material to analog before feeding it to speakers.
    Using a lossless codec like Flac can deliver a bit for bit "identical to the CD" data file to the unit.
    While this could be a very good solution , they are far from cheap, especially if you go the quality route and have an external DAC , a decent amp , and something better than the dreadful Bose like speakers that usually come with such units.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭TheRedDevil10

sorry for this, but have wireless speakers improved since this thread was last used and How much would they cost ?

Advertisement