Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to protect basil, parsley and mint from bugs?

Options
  • 26-07-2010 6:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭

Hey all, just planted these (bought them in Lidl of all places and transplanted them into pots), they are only doing so-so. How do I protect them from various bugs without drowning them in insecticides? I put them out when the weather is fair to sunny, and inside at night/poor outside weather.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

I'd keep basil inside to protect it.

Mint, you can put outside, but keep it in a pot. It'll take over the garden. It's incredibly hardy.

With parsley, it'll be much happier outside. It can take over so keep an eye on it, it may need culling. My parsley has already seeded so it may not do that well at this stage but I stand to be corrected on this.

Most herbs don't like their feet wet so good drainage by a warm, summy wall will keep them happy. As for pests, you might get the odd few bug but nothing that'll kill them (in my limited experience).

Advertisement