Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walk-in/tiered greenhouses

Options
  • 26-07-2010 6:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭

I've contemplated getting one, having seen them in Argos and Atlantic Homecare etc. Are they worth it or pointless in your experience? I am interested in growing herbs and veg in particular, but on a relatively small scale so one of those "walk-in" greenhouses would be perfect if they actually worked (anywhere from 20-45 euro I've seen)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

I picked one up from Argos a couple of weeks ago. Like this one, only half the depth...
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7201998/Trail/searchtext%3EGREENHOUSE.htm
    I think it is discontinued now as it was on special (36 euro) and not on the site now. For what it is I'm very happy. There is no base so it's never going to be a true hothouse. I'll put a base together from pallets at some stage to try and enclose it but in summer I don't think it's needed. My needs are simple and small-scale too.
    I selected a few veggies and plants I have in containers and put them inside and there is a marked improvement compared to how the others are doing outside. At the very least it offers shelter from wind, too much rain, bugs and temperature drops. It builds and holds heat very well, I have to open the flap to ventilate and relieve the humidity.
    Should be the job as a nursery next year.
    So look, it's basic and cheap but for my needs it does the job. At those prices it's worth a punt I think.

Should say that while it is sturdy, it is light-weight and can take off in wind :-) I put a couple of bricks on the frame at the bottom sides. Held firm in high winds so problem easily solved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Thanks for such a comprehensive reply Redster! Can I ask does yours have zips - I'd be worried they would break over time

No worries. Yes it has zips down both sides of the door and tie-ups to keep it open. It is exactly the same as the one at the link, only half the depth. The zips look strong, but what can I say? If they are treated with respect I see no reason why they wouldn't last. The cover is reinforced throughout with 'ribbing' so I can't see it ripping due to weather or wind.
    There's one in lidl from Thursday which looks superior, the Argos model doesn't have windows or vents and I'm not sure that the cover is UV resistent ...
    http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20100729.p.WalkinGreenhouse

• Registered Users Posts: 14 owensomers

I bought one in Aldi last year. Really good for starting off seeds and forcing bedding plants. Tried tomatoes in it but they just grew and grew and very little tomatoes

• Advertisement
Advertisement