Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is anyone worried about Manchester City?

• 26-07-2010 6:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I'm in work now and thought I'd start up this debate. Quick review would be with so many new players and the new squad of 25 that they will struggle to adapt to the Premiership.

Overall position, 6th.

I'll put a poll up later.

City will finish... 157 votes

Champions
    0%
    Champions League
    8%
    folan20 Times 20 TimesapplehuntertolosencMelionJesus WeptThat_GuybUILDERtHEbOBKittyeeTrixmink_manbamboozlingDB10MickShamrockMister men 14 votes
    Uefa
    64%
    SickBoyPHBVokesDont be at yourselfBounty HunterPepe LeFritsPalefaceRuu_OldDempseyloyatemuyom 1Juan PabloBrando_ieMr.Nice GuyvestanpanceNecronomicon~Rebel~homerjay2005me-skywalkersweetie 101 votes
    Relegation
    26%
    RasTapickarooneyT-b0n3IagocruiserweightChardee MacDennisntlbellmicksxabimikemacAtlas_IRLJulezMonkeyTennisironictoasterDouble Cthe_one_&_onlyBlackhorse SlimQwerty27GonzovisionIRISHSPORTSGUY 42 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

I can 100% safely say I am not at all worried about any potential problems for Man City!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Uefa
    I'm worried....worried we'll do fuck all :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Uefa
    I would be worried if i supported one of the regular title challengers. Not so much that they will win the league as I think they might need a bit of stability at the club before they achieve that but I do seriously expect them to take a Champions league birth this season unless things really go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

Champions League
    I think they'll win the league, though this is based on the relative success of Chelsea in Abramovic's first year and City have no Champions League to distract them.

I'm not 'worried' about them though, because Liverpool won't be anywhere near them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Uefa
    I went Champion's League although I do think they will be in contention for the title tbh.

I think the purchases made this summer have all been excellent. I don't know that much about Boateng but he was impressive playing out of position in the World Cup but everybody else they bought seems an improvement to me.

Silva never got the credit he deserved at Valencia due to Villa being there. He will shine and I think Tevez will score even more this year with him in the side. Personally I don't think they need to sign anybody else. I think Lescott is a class act that had a bad year and I'd expect him to bounce back this season.

Hart
    Boateng----Toure----Lescott----Kolarov
    Kompany
    Yaya Toure
    Johnson
    Ireland
    Sliva
    Tevez

Given, Onuoho, Zabaleta, Viera, Barry, Bellamy, Adebayor

Thats what I'd expect to see but I could be way wrong of course. Its frightening to look at though from an opposition standpoint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Champions League
    I'd be more worried for them if they don't win a trophy next year.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Relegation
    City will finish 5th

Uefa
    eagle eye wrote: »

Hart
    Boateng----Toure----Lescott----Kolarov
    Kompany
    Yaya Toure
    Johnson
    Ireland
    Sliva
    Tevez

Given, Onuoho, Zabaleta, Viera, Barry, Bellamy, Adebayor

Ireland will be gone I feel, and possibly Bellamy and Onuoha too.

You've left out Richards, Wright-Phillips and De Jong completely (Bridge also to a lesser extent) who will all feature in some shape or form.

If Kompany plays I doubt it will be in midfield at the expense of De Jong or Barry, and Ade should start most games as part of a front two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Uefa
    well if they finished 5th, of course they have a huge chance of finishing 4th, its a no brainer.

how high they finish will depend on the remainder of the transfer window, who will leave and who will come in. they could get rid of some proven players which may cost them, as the other lads could take time to settle into the new regieme and some time on the bench may not suit them. they still also IMO are weak in defence and a poor season from tevez which i expect, could see them struggle up top unless they sign somebody new.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Champions League
    I went for Champions, too strong in every area. It will take something special from another team for them not to win it.

• Advertisement

Uefa
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    Ireland will be gone I feel, and possibly Bellamy and Onuoha too.

You've left out Richards, Wright-Phillips and De Jong completely (Bridge also to a lesser extent) who will all feature in some shape or form.

If Kompany plays I doubt it will be in midfield at the expense of De Jong or Barry, and Ade should start most games as part of a front two.
    As I said I could be way out, I did it quickly without even looking at the squad.

De Jong will be there instead of Kompany but for me Bridge and SWP would be gone. Ireland may go but there is nobody else to play that central attacking role if they use that system. There is always the possibility that they go with one defensive mid but then you have a fight between Yaya Toure, De Jong, Viera and Kompany for that role and Zabaleta is pretty handy there too.

You still don't have anybody that can do what Ireland does from what I can see. Silva maybe can play there.

If Bellamy goes its a very silly decision imo, after Tevez he was the best player at City for me last season.

I don't know what system Mancini will use this season but for me you have to have room in the team for Yaya Toure and De Jong and they are both deep lying defensive mids so the one up top makes sense to me with an attacking mid. As I said I could be totally off the mark, he may use 2 up top or even 3 with Tevez, Adebayor and Silva.

No matter what way you look at it there is going to a top notch team and bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Uefa
    I reckon third pushing spurs out although I think they will jump ahead of Arsenal as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Relegation
    I think that City will have to work hard to even get 6th. An FA Cup is a strong possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

Hart

Richards--Kompany--onohua
    Bridge

Viera
    De Jong/Barry

Bellamy
    Ireland
    SWP----

Santa Cruz

Gonzales
    Zabelata
    Weiss
    Cunningham
    Jo

Handy enough for a B team,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Uefa
    Defence is way too dodgy, imo.
    Midfield is strong with Yaya and De Jong, and an attack of Silva, Adebayor, Tevez and SWP/Johnson could be lethal if they gel together, that's a big if, though.

3rd or 4th, depending on how Arsenal fare this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

CL qualfiication easily for City methinks, however i think their weakest link now is Mancini. With the squad he has been given he should be pushing Chelsea & Man Utd for top spot but despite his glittering CV i don't really rate him.

Obviously i'll have pie on my face if he takes City to the league but i imagine next summer the only thing City will need to be spending cash on is a top notch manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

I really hope Mancini has been honest with Given and told him where he sees him, is he the first choice or not. I wouldn't agree with it but if he intends to start Hart then so be it as long as Given can leave. He is far too good to be on the bench.
    Whatever about outfield players, they all get a chance at some stage or another to stake a claim to start, but Keepers can go through the season on the bench bar a few Carling Cup outings
    With regards the OP, I reckon they'll get 3rd, but it will be a tight contest with Arsenal and Spurs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Thepones

Uefa
    went for Champions League but think this will be 3rd or 4th.

why is everyone having Hart starting on goal. He had a good season at Birmingham but Shay is still the better keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Uefa
    Not to finish in the top 4 would be a huge fail for City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Relegation
    They may make it into the top 4, but there's no way they win the league this year.

Anybody who thinks they will is off their rocker imo. The best price for them at the moment is 5/1, I'd be willing to offer 6/1 to anyone who wants to take them on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Champions League
    I think they will be serious contenders for the title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

I can feel it in my water Mancini will be sacked by Christmas:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Uefa
    Top 4.

As an Arsenal fan, I am worried that we may (someday soon) miss out on Champions League qualification. It has to be frustrating for the likes of Villa, Spurs & Everton who have been continually improving and have started to knock on that champions league qualifier door. I'm sure Liverpool fans are worried that it'll now be (more than likely) more difficult to qualify for the champions league.

Uefa
    If Torres has signed for them I think they will win the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Champions League
    Thepones wrote: »
    went for Champions League but think this will be 3rd or 4th.

why is everyone having Hart starting on goal. He had a good season at Birmingham but Shay is still the better keeper.

To be fair, Given's injured at the moment so most likely Hart will start until such time Given is fit enough to play.

Uefa
    Iago wrote: »
    They may make it into the top 4, but there's no way they win the league this year.

Anybody who thinks they will is off their rocker imo. The best price for them at the moment is 5/1, I'd be willing to offer 6/1 to anyone who wants to take them on.

Each way @ 1/3 odds? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Uefa
    I think that this is going to start a trend of all the top teams loosing more games a season like last season and you could see the points total getting knocked down again by 3/4 more points

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

Relegation
    I can feel it in my water Mancini will be sacked by Christmas:pac:

Agree with this. Not sure about the timing of the acking but I think Mancini had it easy at Inter Milan. AC Milan had been in decline for a while and Juventus were sent down a league due to the scandals and so the league title was simply handed to Inter.

I think that Man City won't handle the pressure of being around the top of the table and maintain being there until the end of the season and I think he will have to deal with players ego's because they are not playing.

Anyway, a top 6 finish is what I think. Certainly not winning the league until they get a different manager who brings stability to the team and gets them to gel together nicely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Uefa
    Mancinis defensive tactics will cost them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Uefa
    Since when did Chelsea win the league in Ambrovomich's first season?

I expect them to just pip into 4th place. I think they are signing some good players, and are being much more reserved than I expected. How well I think they'll do greatly depends on the players that they shift rather than who they sign. They squad is good enough to get 4th I would say, but the desire for silverware maybe in the UEFA cup might hurt them in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭Trampas

Ireland is out of there.

Defence is the weak spot.

I see them like Liverpool under Rafa with their tactics.

Uefa
    Trampas wrote: »
    Ireland is out of there.

Defence is the weak spot.

I see them like Liverpool under Rafa with their tactics.

I don't think he's an important part of that team any more though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Uefa
    If City don't finish 4th at the very least, their season has to be considered a failure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Uefa
    I think they'll come 3rd or fourth.

They're still lacking in real top quality at centre back and Mancini's over defensiveness will keep them from being genuine title contenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Relegation
    I reckon that the title will still be between United and Chelsea, with 3rd and 4th fought out between Arsenal, Spurs, City and probably one of Everton/Villa/Liverpool.

City still don't have that Drogba/Rooney/Torres level of superstar striker which keeps them out of the title picture for me. That defence is still fairly dodgy, plus they have the added problem of keeping a huge squad happy. Another 5th place finish I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I don't see City winning a title, and as a consequence I don't see the owners sticking with the project any longer than two or three more years.

Hence I voted relegation... eventually....

Uefa
    Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    I reckon that the title will still be between United and Chelsea, with 3rd and 4th fought out between Arsenal, Spurs, City and probably one of Everton/Villa/Liverpool.

City still don't have that Drogba/Rooney/Torres level of superstar striker which keeps them out of the title picture for me. That defence is still fairly dodgy, plus they have the added problem of keeping a huge squad happy. Another 5th place finish I think.
    Tevez was up there last year in terms of goals and he is a superstar striker and more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Top 4 at least , they have got some good signings this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Uefa
    eagle eye wrote: »
    Tevez was up there last year in terms of goals and he is a superstar striker and more.

He's not really at the level of Drogba,Rooney,Torres or Fabregas at the other sides tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Uefa
    titan18 wrote: »
    He's not really at the level of Drogba,Rooney,Torres or Fabregas at the other sides tbh.

Since when is Fabregas a striker?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Is Rooney world class again ? :P

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Is Rooney world class again ? :P

And Torres, for that matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Uefa
    Will Hart be chosen before Given?
    It'd be a shame for him, all those years staying faithful to the missus,then to leave her and find out the mistress is a hooker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Uefa
    baz2009 wrote: »
    Since when is Fabregas a striker?:confused:

Sorry,I was just on about probably the best players at some of the clubs they'd be challenging.

Tbf, despite,poor WCs, I doubt people can say that Rooney or Torres aren't fantastic players

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Relegation
    I think they will struggle defensively. Another fear for them is having too many players who think they should be playing. That is likely to cause trouble. A troubled camp is never a good thing.

I'd say they will finish either 4th or 5th. Spurs may struggle if they get into the group stages of the European Cup and that will help City. Liverpool are not to be discounted either if Torres stays or if they got a top replacement in.

Edit: I don't think they have signed real, top-drawer players either so that means the top teams will still have an edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Sorry,I was just on about probably the best players at some of the clubs they'd be challenging.

Tbf, despite,poor WCs, I doubt people can say that Rooney or Torres aren't fantastic players

Surrounded by good players, well that seemed to be the opinion during the world cup, think it might be different now ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Uefa
    You have to consider them as title contenders.

From a neutral's (don't support an epl team) point of view when you look at the players and strength and depth that they have they have a great chance.

People say that they don't have a rooney/drogba/torres

But what if any of them get injured?

City have more quality in reserve than united and arsenal anyway.

I think that yaya is a great signing.

They might not win it but they have to be seriously considered.

I wouldn't worry about players becoming discontent at not playing, particularly the cohort that went to City since the Dubai group took over and thus are on massive contracts. It's amazing what a large lump of sandy cash being deposited in your bank account each week does to morale.

In fact, I'd almost go as far as to say it would be more dangerous for Mancini to employ Ranieri-like tinkering with his team on a weekly basis, than to nail down his first team XI and risk pissing off the rest.

Uefa

And Tevez with his 30 odd goals in a team that wasn't top four isn't?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭token56

Uefa
    City have amast quite an amazing squad but they are not a unified team, not yet anyway, which only get them so far, probably champions league given the debt of talent at this stage, especially attacking wise. Unfortunately they will only remain a squad and not a team until they settle down and stop buying 4 or 5+ players every transfer window and probably off loading just as many (may be an exageration but you get the point). They have a good squad the moment, defense maybe a bit shakey in some areas, but at some point you have to stop and just work with the players you have a build a team with them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement