Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is anyone worried about Manchester City?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Uefa
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    And Tevez with his 30 odd goals in a team that wasn't top four isn't?

Not many United fans can be convinced otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Uefa
    token56 wrote: »
    City have amast quite an amazing squad but they are not a unified team, not yet anyway, which only get them so far, probably champions league given the debt of talent at this stage, especially attacking wise. Unfortunately they will only remain a squad and not a team until they settle down and stop buying 4 or 5+ players every transfer window and probably off loading just as many (may be an exageration but you get the point). They have a good squad the moment, defense maybe a bit shakey in some areas, but at some point you have to stop and just work with the players you have a build a team with them.

I'm not buying it. I was full sure this would be the case with Chelsea when Abramovich came along, but oh how wrong I was! I know there's a big difference in that Chelsea had Champions League football, but City will soon and when they do, they'll be buying even more players. When you have money, you buy capable players for positions you need to strengthen in initially to bring short term success, then you can plan for the future!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭token56

Uefa
    L'prof wrote: »
    I'm not buying it. I was full sure this would be the case with Chelsea when Abramovich came along, but oh how wrong I was! I know there's a big difference in that Chelsea had Champions League football, but City will soon and when they do, they'll be buying even more players. When you have money, you buy capable players for positions you need to strengthen in initially to bring short term success, then you can plan for the future!

I'm not saying they wont be excellent in the future, or good right now. But I still think there is too much tinkering going on with the squad before they will settle down into a championship winning team. Giving the number of new players they are bringing in to the team who have never even played in the league and would likely be regular starters, such as Silva, Toure, Kolarov etc. People normally say it can take foriegn players, a season, half a season at least to settle into a new league, let alone a team which is still forming itself. I think its safe to assume not all the players will make the transition that easily. I just think its a bit too early for them to win the title yet. But in years to come, I definitely think they can and probably will. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe they will gel together quicker, but I think its unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Is anyone not worried is the question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Uefa

Not a fair comparison, but Darren Bent scored a lot of goals and who'd put him at Rooney and others level.Tevez is a very good player, unfortunately for United fans, but imo, he isn't at the same level as a Rooney,Drogba or Torres

Uefa
    I dont like the idea of whats going on at all over there.In fairness it probably deserves its own threat and I will admit there is envy fueling this but I would feel that at least Chelsea were near the top when Roman bought them and he didnt take it anywhere near this far.

City are a vehicle with which the Abi Dhabi family or whatever can show the world their wealth and their percieved superiority over the rest of the world.
    They are buying players for the sake of it and its a bloody freak show at this stage.Look at the attacking options:

Adabayor,Tevez,Bellamy,Ballotelli,Torres (potentially),Robinho,Silva,Jo,Johnson,Wright Philips,Santa Cruz.
    Who will be left out of the squad?

Thats a fcking farce and they are destroying football.I am sure if I was a city fan I would be laughing but I am sure many of them feel this isnt their club any more and is essentially a middle east propaganda machine.

I await Xavi6's response ripping my post to shreds :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

L'prof wrote: »
    Not many United fans can be convinced otherwise.

United fan here, and i think Tevez is a fantastic player and if you did a poll i reckon about 90% would say they wish he never left, now that he has left a lot of United fans say he only left for money which is a part of the reason they say he isn't a world class/fantastic player imo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

Uefa
    We wern't a unified "team" last year and missed out on Champs League by 3 points!

I believe it'll be a struggle and it wont be pretty (we played some horrible football at times last year) but i can see us top 4 for sure.

Teams around us havent strenghtend significantly enough for me! I'll be as optimistic as i can and hope we can push a bit further but i don't think Mancini has the ability to bring us there IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭mormank

Uefa
    Well I think fans of other teams should all be very thankful that teams ca nonly field 11 players each!! My god, city have an unreal B team dont they. Would probably get Uefa cup football itself. It is hard to see them not attaining champions league football this year but anything is possible and I'm just gonna hope that if they do it is not at the expense of Liverpool. Top 4 how i see it this year in no paticular order...Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham, Man utd, Liverpool and Man city...oh wait a secon..... :eek:

Best season in a long time coming up I reckon folks, hold onto your hats!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Uefa
    I'm more worried about whats happening to the transfer market, it finally settled down after the Chelski spending spree; Madrdid and city have managed to make it mad again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Relegation

And Marcus Bent by that logic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Uefa
    RasTa wrote: »
    And Marcus Bent by that logic.

Well the stats don't lie so....

But seriously, Tevez is more than good enough to be mentioned in the same breath as Rooney, Torres and Drogba imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Uefa
    I'd be worried about City finishing ahead of us this year. Don't think they'll win the league (I threw a cheeky fiver on them e/w a few weeks back though for the craic) but they definitely have the players to make Top 4 a real probability.

Tactics wise though I'm not so sure, they have plenty of great attacking players but there's every chance you could see a midfield of De Jong/Barry/Vieira which is just silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Relegation
    Well the stats don't lie so....

But seriously, Tevez is more than good enough to be mentioned in the same breath as Rooney, Torres and Drogba imo.

Not based on one good season, obviously you thought the same when he was a United player?

Anyway what is City's full squad at this time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Uefa
    RasTa wrote: »
    Not based on one good season, obviously you thought the same when he was a United player?

Absolutely. He was great there as well, hence City fans being chuffed with the signing.

He's been given a more regular platform with us to prove his true value.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Uefa
    Cant see them winning it just yet.

Id say 3rd or 4th, with arsenal taking the other CL spot.

The OP asked are we worried about city, tbh id be more worried about liverpool this season, of any of the big 4 teams they seem to have regressed big time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Relegation
    I see them finishing 5th but more due to the quality of the manager than the players, I do not rate Mancini as a manager that can propel City into the top 4. All will depend on how they deal with their first dip in form and their ability to recover from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

Uefa
    Absolutely. He was great there as well, hence City fans being chuffed with the signing.

He's been given a more regular platform with us to prove his true value.

He is the star man at City. Great player.

The problem for City is that they can only play 11 players at once. Finding a system to get the best out of your starting 11 is their biggest problem. No wait picking a starting 11 is their biggest problem. :pac: Also will some of the star players want to sit it out for a few games?

In terms of a squad they are unreal. Top 4 should be a a given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Champions League
    History suggests money buy's titles so i've gone for champions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Relegation
    Mister men wrote: »
    History suggests money buy's titles so i've gone for champions.

Takes time though. Chelsea did not win in the first Abramovich year and they had the benefit of already having a team good enough to finish in the top 4. Blackburn won it in a different era in which Arsenal and Liverpool were weaker than normal. They also needed a couple of seasons to get the title. So I think it is way too soon for City to win the league. Getting into the top 4 should be their priority. Then worry about the league the season after.

Also Liverpool have spent an awful lot in the Premiership era, has hardly brought an avalanche of titles. Spurs have spent a lot too without success.

Edit: Here is a table outlining the fees paid by clubs since the Premiership began in 1992. Negligible difference in fees paid out by United and Liverpool.

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/data/teams/team-1.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Champions League
    I've gone for Champions cos dammit, that's a fierce list of players we've got:D:D:D
    Now, just need to add Milner, Dzeko and Balotelli to it and away we go!!:p;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Uefa
    City are a joke... let them play in a league amongst themselves. Im sure theyd buy enough players to do so:rolleyes:

Champions League
    Fowler87 wrote: »
    City are a joke... let them play in a league amongst themselves. Im sure theyd buy enough players to do so:rolleyes:

Da da, I'm lovin' it!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Uefa
    Im sure you are :pac: But when you look at poor auld Pompey 1st team squad this year, after all the money they spent (to a lesser degree obviously) ul see how it can change very very quickly.. but sure Man City are not gonna worry bout that... yet;)

Champions League
    Im sure you are :pac: But when you look at poor auld Pompey 1st team squad this year, after all the money they spent (to a lesser degree obviously) ul see how it can change very very quickly.. but sure Man City are not gonna worry bout that... yet;)

See, that was a much nicer way to make an observation than starting your post with "City are a joke";)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Champions League
    Yes they are a joke. It's their fault they where bought by a multi billionaire.:rolleyes:

Champions League
    Mister men wrote: »
    Yes they are a joke. It's their fault they where bought by a multi billionaire.:rolleyes:

I know, it was soooooo unfair what happened to us:pac:

Champions League
    I'm more worried about whats happening to the transfer market, it finally settled down after the Chelski spending spree; Madrdid and city have managed to make it mad again.

To reiterate my point again!!!

City can only pay what is asked of them and naturally other teams are demanding payment in excess of the players valuation....
    We are damned if we do as we're accused of over inflating the market and we're damned if we don't as we don't get the player we want!!!

Apart from refusing to pay, what would you propose City do??
    Genuine question to ya btw:)

Edit: Realising that this is way off topic so please feel free to respond in the MCFC thread.....Thanks....
    Apolpgies to the mods

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

Champions League
    IMO I think City could win the league, I'm seriously worried about them...
    first half of last season they didn't halve a top class manager, then mancini came in and did well and finished 5th..

now they have even more top players, although unlike hughes, i think not buying top players that have played in the premier league could come back to haunt them, the experience of them playing in the PL is vital..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

They definally will be contenders for the league, but who knows. After last season its gonna be hard to call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Uefa
    mink_man wrote: »
    IMO I think City could win the league, I'm seriously worried about them...
    first half of last season they didn't halve a top class manager, then mancini came in and did well and finished 5th..

now they have even more top players, although unlike hughes, i think not buying top players that have played in the premier league could come back to haunt them, the experience of them playing in the PL is vital..

I'm a City supporter but do you really think Mancini did that good of a job? I think he held back a lot of the games and thats what ultimately cost them in the end. Especially the Arsenal away game, I think Arsenal were there for the taking that day but it was clear from the first minute City could of done them, and from what I recall Spurs had beaten Chelsea earlier on that day so a win was badly needed.

I fear there will be more frustrating football ahead next year too. Love to be proved wrong but he seems overly cautious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

Champions League
    niallo24 wrote: »
    I'm a City supporter but do you really think Mancini did that good of a job? I think he held back a lot of the games and thats what ultimately cost them in the end. Especially the Arsenal away game, I think Arsenal were there for the taking that day but it was clear from the first minute City could of done them, and from what I recall Spurs had beaten Chelsea earlier on that day so a win was badly needed.

I fear there will be more frustrating football ahead next year too. Love to be proved wrong but he seems overly cautious.

yes I do think that he did a good job...hughes wasn't the manager to handle the big name players and ye had him for half a season and still finished 5th...remember chelsea, pre abra times, they were top 4 team, when they had the money they finished top 3+ if i remember and they had ranieri as manager so I think City will finish top 3..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

mink_man wrote: »
    yes I do think that he did a good job...hughes wasn't the manager to handle the big name players and ye had him for half a season and still finished 5th...remember chelsea, pre abra times, they were top 4 team, when they had the money they finished top 3+ if i remember and they had ranieri as manager so I think City will finish top 3..
    Good post. As a lifelong City fan, I would hope to have a good push at the title this season. However, a lot of these players we're buying in don't have prem experience. With that in mind, I think a CL place is a more reasonable expectation. The press will no doubt rip us to pieces for not winning it after spending 3 trillion pounds, but hey-ho, whatever!

Advertisement