Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

designing posters/dvds covers/booklets

Options
  • 26-07-2010 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭

Whats the best software for designing dvd covers, posters and maybe booklets? Fireworks? illustrater? i already can use photoshop so would illustrater be the easiest?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭peejay1986

The best solution is a combination of Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign. Don't mean to be vague but are made for specific purposes that can enhance print design. Personally I use InDesign for most print designs as they involve a lot of layout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Budget Marketing

Fireworks for web based graphics.
    Indesign for general print and brochure design.
    Illustrator for vector or scalable graphics.

i.e Each tool has a different use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Quark Xpress is great for making booklets/posters etc. Very handy software.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

Quark and InDesign are both intended for publishing and creating layouts but their not really intended for creating artwork from scratch. Usually the artwork is created in Photoshop or Illustrator then imported.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Noodleworm wrote: »
    Quark and InDesign are both intended for publishing and creating layouts but their not really intended for creating artwork from scratch. Usually the artwork is created in Photoshop or Illustrator then imported.

Which is the best between Quark and InDesign?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

Edit: I looked into it, price is similar, I think Quark might be more, but I think it is easier personally.
    It has won awards and things. But then again In Design in advanced, and often used as its nice and compatible with all the other adobe products.

go look it up, theres whole sites on the subject

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

You're going to get a different opinion on Quark / InDesign depending on who you talk to, and what they use and why.

I personally find InDesign more user friendly / intuitive, and I use it exclusively for layout / print design (along with Illy & PS etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Unsinnig

Quark is old and dead, much as it saddens me. It's also way more finicky than InDesign!

Photoshop for editing images (Illustrator if you're building 'em from scratch), pop it all in InDesign and bake for 30minutes at gas mark 7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 bodger

Hey Guys,

A friend of mine is a printer. He produces booklets, posters, memorial cards and so on.
    He swears by Quark.

I'm not a printer but I use Photoshop, Fireworks and illustrator. I would be surprised to learn of a task for print or the web that photoshop could not perform with ease.

Trial the programs and go with the most comfortable.

Regards

Shane

bodger wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

A friend of mine is a printer. He produces booklets, posters, memorial cards and so on.
    He swears by Quark.

I'm not a printer but I use Photoshop, Fireworks and illustrator. I would be surprised to learn of a task for print or the web that photoshop could not perform with ease.

Trial the programs and go with the most comfortable.

Regards

Shane

Layout a brochure / magazine / booklet, advanced text formatting etc etc

PS is NOT the way to go sending stuff to print. You really should be using a page layout program, such as InDesign.

Workflow should/could include editing / creating images/artwork in PS and embedding in an ID document for export to print.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 bodger

I see that Dublin-Gunner is a Graphic Designer,
    thus his advice is more valid than mine.

I think I would go with Indesign on that basis.

Is this a once off job?

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bette

You should look at some free stuff which would amply do for your designs. If you deal with a commercial printer you simply output your stuff to Adobe Acrobat.

bette wrote: »
    You should look at some free stuff which would amply do for your designs. If you deal with a commercial printer you simply output your stuff to Adobe Acrobat.

I've used pageplus myself before, and to be honest it can do a job. Its fairly simplistic, but can out put to perfectly printable files, and is reasonably user friendly once you now the basics.

I've used pageplus myself before, and to be honest it can do a job. Its fairly simplistic, but can out put to perfectly printable files, and is reasonably user friendly once you now the basics.

What version were you using/ They are up to X4 now.

bette wrote: »
    What version were you using/ They are up to X4 now.

Ah I don't remember, was about 2/3 years ago. Had a full l icense for it, only cost a tenner!

Might have been PagePlus 9 iirc

Ah I don't remember, was about 2/3 years ago. Had a full l icense for it, only cost a tenner!

Might have been PagePlus 9 iirc

PPX4 is streets ahead of PP9. Output to Acrobat PDF/X-1a works fine for the printer.

Advertisement