Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ksyrium Elite 2008 Vs. Xero Lite XR-1

• 26-07-2010 6:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭

Howdy,

I bought a set of 2008 Ksyrium Elites a couple of months back for a bike build. I haven't done anything with them since as I've yet to get all of the components for the build (almost there though).

Apparently they come in at 770g front and 920g rear so 1690g combined. I've come across Xero Lite XR-1 which are priced very well and come in at 650g and 870g so combined weight saving would be 170g.

I bought the Ksyriums at a good price and they are unused so, judging by the reaction to a recent secondhand pair sold here, I should be able to get my money back without much fuss and might even get the Xero Lites for less.

Has anyone here had an experience with Xero wheels? Anyone know why I shouldn't sell the Ksyriums to buy the Xeros? I'm only about 65 kgs so flex shouldn't be as apparent when riding them as it would for a much heavier rider.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Just bumping to see if any of the morning crew have any light to shed on the above.

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Don't have the Ksyriums so can't really comment on them, got the Xero's as the price was so good.

The wheels are very good, taking into account the price you pay for them. As with all wheels pick 2 from Light, Strong and cheap.

The Xeros are light (well relatively light) and they are well priced, but not that strong. I have had Xeros for the last couple of years on Irish roads with no major problems, but then I am <70kg so it would be less of an issue for me than many others. (just reread that your 65kg so I guess that it is not a major problem)

Even for me, they do flex when under strain (hard out of saddle efforts climbs etc) not sure about when sprinting, as a) I never get that fast, b) too busy dying to notice. I know a few of the guys I cycle with notice the flex under strain.

For the price they are grand, by no means world beaters and I would love to splash out on a better wheelset but for me that have more than done the job

Cheers for the response Leroy42
    Leroy42 wrote: »
    As with all wheels pick 2 from Light, Strong and cheap.

I posted this up on the 'Weight Weenies' forum and my sole responder quoted Keith Bontrager as having said the same thing. Funny.

Another set of wheels to catch my eye were the American Classic Sprint 350 but, from what I've read, the hubs tend to crumble pretty easily.

Merlin have the Dura Ace 7850 SL going for £425. A good bit above my budget but I might be tempted to take the plunge. No wife and kids to support ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Lemag wrote: »
    No wife and kids to support ;-)

Do you want mine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

I have a set of Xero Lites on one of my older bikes and they are grand, very light. Though I have seen quite a few with splits in the rims at the spoke nipples. This type is getting on a bit so I don't know how the newe ones are. You don't see many people riding them to be honest.

• Advertisement

Do you want mine?

Pics first please ;)

Advertisement