Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem Housemate

Options
  • 26-07-2010 6:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi All

I have some problems with my housemate, in that he's refusing to pay his share of the TV license - he just simply doesn't agree with paying it, which would be fair enough if it was just him living there.

But there are 3 of us altogether in the house. Myself and the other person are happy to pay it - so it's 2 against 1. AFter some arguing, I told him a couple days ago, that he can pay his share of it or he can move out, to which he hasn't given me a response. I'm generally not getting along with this guy anymore anyway, so I'm half-hoping he decides not to pay so I can get rid of him.

My question is, from a legal point of view - whose responsibility is it to pay the rent if there's a time lapse before we get a new tenant?

Is it the landlord or the other tenants?

I presume that there's a notification period?

Does it matter that he's being evicted by fellow tenants?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

You rent the house together, or per room? If per room, the landlord. If all together, you each pay money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 tommo111

well, we all moved in together, but we make our payments separately

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Does he watch tv?

Bob Z wrote: »
    Does he watch tv?

yes, and probably more than anyone in the house

He doesn't think anyone should pay it at all, coz he just thinks it's overpriced. He expects us to agree with him - he's a very very opinionated guy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

he's not opioninated he's a lazy bully, turn the tv off when he's watching and say he will have to pay to watch or he can leave, dont take any bs off the scrounger

• Advertisement

allanb49 wrote: »
    he's not opioninated he's a lazy bully, turn the tv off when he's watching and say he will have to pay to watch or he can leave, dont take any bs off the scrounger

well, tbh, i want the guy out. I simply don't get on with him, the TV license thing is just a classic example of his general behaviour

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

tommo111 wrote: »
    well, tbh, i want the guy out. I simply don't get on with him, the TV license thing is just a classic example of his general behaviour

So the TV license is just a distraction from the main problem here. It's completely up to your housemate if he wants to move out or stay. He could be evicted if he was selling drugs from the apartment, or carrying out illegal activity. Until then, you'll just have to suck up one of the perils of living in dingy rented accommodation sharing with strangers.

sesna wrote: »
    So the TV license is just a distraction from the main problem here. It's completely up to your housemate if he wants to move out or stay. He could be evicted if he was selling drugs from the apartment, or carrying out illegal activity. Until then, you'll just have to suck up one of the perils of living in dingy rented accommodation sharing with strangers.

ok, but what if he agrees to move out? is he obliged to pay rent for a minimum period after he moves out?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

tommo111 wrote: »
    ok, but what if he agrees to move out? is he obliged to pay rent for a minimum period after he moves out?

He's not obliged to pay rent when hes not living there. Depends on the terms of his lease etc, if there is even one in place. And also, even if there was one in place, the cost of pursuing him through court is a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭variety

It doesn't matter if you each pay the rent separately, what matters is the lease you signed.

Are all tenants named on that lease? If so, then you are all jointly and severally liable for the rent (ie. if one tenant stops paying, all other tenants must still ensure that the full monthly rent is paid).

If you're all named, *you* can't kick anyone out, only the LL can. And the LL cannot normally evict one tenant - you all must be evicted.

I would mention the issues to the LL and see if you can come to some arrangement. I wouldn't hold your breath, though, especially if you haven't been in the property for longer than the original lease term.

• Advertisement
Advertisement