Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to do something exciting for a year.

Options
  • 26-07-2010 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭

Right so basically Im just turned 23 ive had the last year off just having the craic, and decided today that its getting boring. So i applied for a job today that im 90% sure ill get that. I have an ordinary degree in accounting i applied today to go back and do the final year add on.

So i want to do any intership at all in america or to a lesser extent canada. Just looking for people that done this, and to hear about their experience.

Also do people think ill have trouble getting a visa ive already had a resident card and ive also had a j-1?

Has anyone got useful sites to look for interships?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

I'm sorry but you sound like a bit of a wastrel and if I was an employee there's not a hope I would hire you. Why did you apply for a job when you know that you'll be leaving it very soon for an internship? It's internnnnnship, not intership btw.

You sound very immature - what did you do during this year off? How did you live? Were you on the dole? How do you expect a prospective employer to view this and do you have any explanation other than to have the 'craic'?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Kimia wrote: »
    I'm sorry but you sound like a bit of a wastrel and if I was an employee there's not a hope I would hire you. Why did you apply for a job when you know that you'll be leaving it very soon for an internship? It's internnnnnship, not intership btw.

You sound very immature - what did you do during this year off? How did you live? Were you on the dole? How do you expect a prospective employer to view this and do you have any explanation other than to have the 'craic'?

Good thing im not applying to your company. What did i do in my year off? Not that its any of your business but i took up a few new hobbies, spent alot of time with my nanny. Stuff that money cant buy, and for money i did a couple of days a week with my dad and whatever else came up. This was on top of savings. Thanks for absolutely no help whats so ever.

I applied for a job because ill need about $10,000 on top of whatever salary i get in america.

I'm just asking the questions that any employer would so in fact it's very good advice indeed, of course it's your perogative if you don't want to take it. I'm merely pointing out that you don't really have anything (that you've posted) to make yourself appear as a worthy candidate for a job or an internship, and maybe you should think about how you're going to present yourself because you're coming across as an arrogant little rich boy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    Right so basically Im just turned 23 ive had the last year off just having the craic, and decided today that its getting boring. So i applied for a job today that im 90% sure ill get that. I have an ordinary degree in accounting i applied today to go back and do the final year add on.

So i want to do any intership at all in america or to a lesser extent canada. Just looking for people that done this, and to hear about their experience.

Also do people think ill have trouble getting a visa ive already had a resident card and ive also had a j-1?

Has anyone got useful sites to look for interships?

Thanks

No idea how internships work in America. You would be eligible for either the U35 (or maybe student/graduate programme) if you were going to Canada.

I'm not too clear on what you want to do next.. you mention a job (I assume in Ireland), an internship in the US and a one-year addon to your degree :confused: you can't do all three at once.

Also you can't be 90% sure of getting a job you just applied for unless you are in the know with the employer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Having past visas never hurts your chances to get another visa. In fact, unless you overstayed a visa or had any convictions while there, previous visas can help.

I'm unclear about your situation. Are you looking to go on an internship next year after finishing your last year of college? If so, this is fine. You have 12 months from your date of graduation to take up a visa.

There are three visas available to people just graduating: IWT, internship visa and trainee visa. The internship and trainee visa require you to have employment sorted before going out while the IWT is a bit more flexible.

The following companies are the most popular who provide these visas: SAYIT and USIT. Then there is GO4LESS and IIC. These two may not necessarily have all three visas available.

You can check out their websites for requirements and fees.

• Advertisement

lil_lisa wrote: »
    Having past visas never hurts your chances to get another visa. In fact, unless you overstayed a visa or had any convictions while there, previous visas can help.

I'm unclear about your situation. Are you looking to go on an internship next year after finishing your last year of college? If so, this is fine. You have 12 months from your date of graduation to take up a visa.

There are three visas available to people just graduating: IWT, internship visa and trainee visa. The internship and trainee visa require you to have employment sorted before going out while the IWT is a bit more flexible.

The following companies are the most popular who provide these visas: SAYIT and USIT. Then there is GO4LESS and IIC. These two may not necessarily have all three visas available.

You can check out their websites for requirements and fees.

Thank you very much for being helpful, i wasnt very clear. I intened to work full time till around this time next year and go to college in the evenings. Preferable id like to have a job sorted before i left here.

Thanks i just thought the fact i lived there legally for a couple of years and moved back might rule me out. I intended on entering the draw for a green card as well.

I'm just asking the questions that any employer would so in fact it's very good advice indeed, of course it's your perogative if you don't want to take it. I'm merely pointing out that you don't really have anything (that you've posted) to make yourself appear as a worthy candidate for a job or an internship, and maybe you should think about how you're going to present yourself because you're coming across as an arrogant little rich boy.

How am i arrogant?

To me you seem like someone that is jealous, that you couldnt didnt do what i intend on doing.

If i was a rich boy, why would i be working for a year before im going?

Ive an ordinary degree in accountancy and will have a honours degree before i go. I think that might make me a "worthy candidate"

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    No idea how internships work in America. You would be eligible for either the U35 (or maybe student/graduate programme) if you were going to Canada.

I'm not too clear on what you want to do next.. you mention a job (I assume in Ireland), an internship in the US and a one-year addon to your degree :confused: you can't do all three at once.

Also you can't be 90% sure of getting a job you just applied for unless you are in the know with the employer

Your right i wasnt clear. I intend on working full time and finishing my degree in the evening. Then doing the year away. im 90% sure because i worked there before and the hr manager personally emailed to apply for a position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

sounds like a plan. good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Thanks i just thought the fact i lived there legally for a couple of years and moved back might rule me out. I intended on entering the draw for a green card as well.

Did you formally renounce your green card? If not it's probably a good idea to do so to keep the paperwork tidy (by moving back to Ireland you've abandonded your LPR status anyway). The fact that you had a green card before shouldn't be a problem for geting a visa.

However, the IRS has some issues with those who have not oficially given up their status.

• Advertisement

How am i arrogant?

To me you seem like someone that is jealous, that you couldnt didnt do what i intend on doing.

If i was a rich boy, why would i be working for a year before im going?

Ive an ordinary degree in accountancy and will have a honours degree before i go. I think that might make me a "worthy candidate"

Don't flatter yourself, I've lived in the US twice and have also lived in Canada, which is why I took the time to reply to your thread. Perhaps I was harsh but I was asking realistic questions that employers would ask, so by making you think about that I've actually helped you. You'll realise soon enough.

Did you formally renounce your green card? If not it's probably a good idea to do so to keep the paperwork tidy (by moving back to Ireland you've abandonded your LPR status anyway). The fact that you had a green card before shouldn't be a problem for geting a visa.

However, the IRS has some issues with those who have not oficially given up their status.

Yeah I'm pretty sure I renounced it. I got pulled into an office by immigration when I was going through, I was only 15 and they wouldn't let my aunt in to be with me. He just asked did I want to go before a judge and explain who I hadn't lived there for the required days per year. I said no.

So I signed alot of forms and he cut my green card in two :(

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    sounds like a plan. good luck!

Thanks very much.

Don't flatter yourself, I've lived in the US twice and have also lived in Canada, which is why I took the time to reply to your thread. Perhaps I was harsh but I was asking realistic questions that employers would ask, so by making you think about that I've actually helped you. You'll realise soon enough.

Well thanks for replying. I know it'll be hard but I won't mind doing any paid internship at all so I'll aim low. Once I find a job here I'll get straight on to that, hopefully it'll help emailing them 6mths or so in advance.

Advertisement