Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinion needed ... Long ethernet cable or long telephone cable?

Options
  • 26-07-2010 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

Ok, so I have a telephone wall socket in my bedroom. My Eircom Broadband router is at this location also. Its located in the opposite corner of the room from where my laptop and a server are.

I want to have wired network access to the router from my PC and Server.

My question is, should I:

1. Keep the Router where it is, and cable ethernet around the edge of the room.

OR

2. Get a long telephone lead, and cable it around the edge of the room, and move my Eircom router beside my PC and Server.

I want opinions on which would be less detrimental to the speeds and pings over the network?

and before anyone suggests them ..i'm not too keen on Homeplugs

Thanks lads!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

I would imagine you would be better off running ethernet cable as it is made up of twisted pairs and would withstand any interference or noise that may occur

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

Dacelonid wrote: »
    I would imagine you would be better off running ethernet cable as it is made up of twisted pairs and would withstand any interference or noise that may occur

+1 go with option 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

If your ethernet run will be morw than 10mtrs extend your phone line. Ethernet over a patch cord in excess of 10mtrs will have signal degradation.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

thegen wrote: »
    If your ethernet run will be morw than 10mtrs extend your phone line. Ethernet over a patch cord in excess of 10mtrs will have signal degradation.
    I think it's against the standard alright but as for degradation unless it's poorly terminated or routed with power cable for the duration you should be fine with 10m! If you have free sockets I'd go for powerline adaptors I use them all over the house I even stream movies to the PS3 and it works fine on a 85Mbps set

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

people are getting carried away here:D the OP is talking about having the router at opposite side of same room (bedroom) no need to worry about attenuation in cat5 run and no need to use ethernet over power devices..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

Ah yes but he asked for options & I always like to over do it :D plus he has a server of some description in the bedroom if its a media server with powerlines that server could be available anywhere in the house

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I'd go with the phone extension. It's neater and will work fine. I did that across my house before and noticed no difference from being plugged in directly to the phone incoming socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'd go with the phone extension. It's neater and will work fine. I did that across my house before and noticed no difference from being plugged in directly to the phone incoming socket.
    I agree .. the phone line from exchange to his house is already a number of kilometres long, another few metres to cross a room isn't going to make any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Option 2 for me too, I've done it many times and it's much neater with no drop in speeds. I mean it is only the other side of a standard room?

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭smartblaa

Thanks everyone for the replies.
    Using the long phone cable would be the neatest and most practical solution.
    It would be my preferred option, as the router is then beside my equipment.

I suppose, I just wanted to see if it would cause any noticeable degradation of the quality of the link.

Just to clarify, the total distance of cabling needed is about 6-7 metres total
    This shouldn't cause issues? Should it?

Thanks again..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

No it won't cause any issues.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Advertisement