Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hazel

Options
  • 26-07-2010 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

Hi I have a hazel tree which has shot up in the wilds of my back garden which I would like to keep. I have a guy coming in the next few weeks to dig up the back garden and seed it as a lawn. Does anyone know if I can transplant the hazel without damaging it? all help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Foleyart wrote: »
    Hi I have a hazel tree which has shot up in the wilds of my back garden which I would like to keep. I have a guy coming in the next few weeks to dig up the back garden and seed it as a lawn. Does anyone know if I can transplant the hazel without damaging it? all help appreciated.

Transplanting is best done during dormant season, ie Nov-Mar.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭TheFatMan

Hi Sonnenbleum is right ... however an old timer once told me the best time to move anything in a garden is when you have your boots and gloves on, if you have time to do it then do it now. If you have to move it, dig out as much of the root ball as you can and dont leave it out of the ground for any length of time. I know the trees in Monart were moved and some of them were 100s of years old. The gardener there is a bit of a hippy and a Chelsea Gold medal winner and she fed them Rescue Remedy for the time they were out of the ground. Didnt loose a single 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

As Fatman has said, get the biggest rootball possible and put into a plastic sack (the roots) in a shade place, keep it watered and replace it as soon as possible. Water well after you replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Foleyart

Thanks a million guys will transplant immediately.
    :D

Advertisement