Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good pizza dough recipe

Options
  • 26-07-2010 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

I'm going to make pizza, but the recipe I have used in the past is always still soft. I have tried cooking the base before adding the tomato and cheese but it doesn't help, and cooking it without a tin makes it really hard. Cooking it on a tin for the first while when putting the pizza on the oven shelf doesn't help either.
    Does anyone have a really really nice recipe for pizza? Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

This week's cooking club recipe is pizza, you could try it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Lucy, if I want to crisp up the underneath of my pizza when I take it out of the oven I put the tin onto the hob on a medium heat for a few minutes and that does the trick.
    You have to watch it carefully so it doesn't burn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

OP, you need to get either a proper pizza oven, or (more realistically) a pizza stone. The stone goes into the cold oven and is heated with it.

Otherwise, your oven temp may not be high enough.

Pizza dough is very basic: Flour, yeast, water, salt, sugar, olive oil.

In Naples they use honey instead of sugar often, and like their pizza moist in the middle!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Lucyxxx wrote: »
    I'm going to make pizza, but the recipe I have used in the past is always still soft. I have tried cooking the base before adding the tomato and cheese but it doesn't help, and cooking it without a tin makes it really hard. Cooking it on a tin for the first while when putting the pizza on the oven shelf doesn't help either.
    Does anyone have a really really nice recipe for pizza? Thanks.

I find the best way to do it is to crank the oven up as high as it will go when you start preparing the pizza, then make the dough, the tomatoe base, chop the toppings and grate the cheese.
    By the time I've got the pizza ready and assembled (usually around 40 minutes after I started, what with letting the dough rise and all), the oven is as hot as it will get.
    Leave the pizza in for about 15 minutes, it'll be lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭hargo

I have 2 pizza stones which i put in the oven for at least an hour at 250C. Pizza is cooked in 5 minutes. Basically you want the oven as hot as possible and thats why i'm in the process of building a wood fired oven. In relation to the dough try and get your hands on some fresh yeast. You can freeze it in 1oz pieces and it is good for a few months. Do a starter mix first and you will have loads of air bubbles with light crispy springy crust.
    This works for me :
    Dissolve 1oz of fresh yeast in 6 fl oz warm water and add to 5 oz of strong flour, mix with spoon and leave for 3 hours.
    Add 6 more fl oz of warm water, 2 table spoons of olive oil, 2 teaspoons of salt to 16 oz of flour and kneed. Leave to prove and divide in 4 and let them rise again. Good for four 12" pizzas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭hargo

Ps
    If you can get a piece of 3 mm plywood, cut it to size and sharpen the front edge you have the perfect paddle for putting in and taking out of the oven. Throw a good sprinkle of semolina on the paddle before putting on the dough and it will slide easily.

Advertisement