Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RESULTS 2010

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Grace16

Irish (H): C1
    English (H): B2
    Maths (O): B2
    Accounting (H): B2
    German (H): B2
    Geography (H): B1
    History (H): A1

Got 495 and was delighted!! Wasn't expecting it at all and hopefully will get my place doing Primary school teaching. Honestly never thought i could get enough points for my first choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭lctake2

Honours irish, german, chemistry, biology and ag science a1s
    honours music and english a2
    pass maths a1
    so 590 overall! i'm a repeat that missed medicine by 10 points last year. i worked my ass off and am so glad that it's finally paid off

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭steescribbles

Irish O B3
    English H D1
    Maths O C3
    French O C1
    Physics O C2
    Business H D2
    Music H C2
    LCVP Pass

Got 265 points :D
    so happyyy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

English (H) C1
    Irish (H) B1
    French (H) B3
    Maths (H) C1
    Business (H) A2
    Geography (H) B2
    Biology (H) A2
    Accounting (H) A1

I am delighted that brings it up to a total of 520! I was delighted with the Accounting, Biology, and Business, but I was kinda expecting it :D. I am slightly dissapointed with the English, my English teacher had told me to expect at least a B1, but what can you do? :p

I only need 475 to do Accounting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 ilikesunshine

ok well I don't want to sound ridiculous or pityful right cause I got my 1st choise and 540 but every1 was expecting I would get 600 and it annoyed me they were like ooooooh 540!?! .... well that's really good .... =[

I know it is but I still want to repeat and i feel soo weird

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Scatterbrain

Irish O B3
    English H C1
    Maths O B2
    French H C3
    Art H B3
    Music H C2
    Religion H C2
    DCG H B2

That brings me up to 415! Was not expecting that, as I didn't do a tap!
    The merriment's not as good as it ought to be, though, as most of my friends were unhappy with their results. :(
    Oh well, COLLEGE! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 46 MyHair

ok well I don't want to sound ridiculous or pityful right cause I got my 1st choise and 540 but every1 was expecting I would get 600 and it annoyed me they were like ooooooh 540!?! .... well that's really good .... =[

You have your first choice and want to repeat?
    That doesn't make sense:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

life is about moving forward. Noone will care/ask about your leaving cert in a few weeks. Your life, no ones life, is defined by leaving cert points. Move on and tackle something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Anyone else absolutely hammered now? You can still spell when you are drunk!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

Just in home now. Got 390, delighted. Well enough for what I want :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Anyone else absolutely hammered now? You can still spell when you are drunk!

Just in now tonight sucked for the fact I was a good few people who will most likely get their first choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭felic

not trying to be mean, but thats the most ignorant thing anyone has said in a long time. I hope your first choice course jumps to 545 after u saying that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Lorrrrraine

felic wrote: »
    not trying to be mean, but thats the most ignorant thing anyone has said in a long time. I hope your first choice course jumps to 545 after u saying that!

If he/she put in the effort for 600 and had their heart set on it then I can understand the dissapointment. Also if people expected it of him/her it would be awkward telling them.
    540 is actually amazing though, I'd get that tattood across my forehead and tell everybody I meet for the next few decades if I were you..but of course, nobody will be asking what you got in a few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Yag reuoY

If he/she put in the effort for 600 and had their heart set on it then I can understand the dissapointment. Also if people expected it of him/her it would be awkward telling them.
    540 is actually amazing though, I'd get that tattood across my forehead and tell everybody I meet for the next few decades if I were you..but of course, nobody will be asking what you got in a few weeks.

Some of us aspire to better things. :pac:

Yag reuoY wrote: »
    Some of us aspire to better things. :pac:

Exactly! To me, saying he wants to repeat just so everyone can say he got 600 points is very small minded, petty, and immature! Doesnt sound like hes mature enough for college yet if others peoples opinions of what he got in the Leaving are such a concern to him. And as I said, lets hope his course jumps to 545 so at least he has a reason then to repeat!
    600 points my arse! 540 is an incredible result! And I bet he only wants to do some course that needs about 350! Its always the same!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Why would you hope his course would jump up and he doesn't get it? It sounds like jealousy to me. 540 is an excellent result, but it's understandable if he thinks that this final result isn't on par with the the level of work he has been putting in throughout the years.

Oh come off it. Im a bit long in the tooth to be jealous over what someone got in their Leaving Cert. 540 as I said.. is an incredible result and something to feel proud about. He assumes hes getting his first choice for college yet considering repeating cos he didnt get 600! Thats just asking for a good kick up the you know what! Reminds me of someone I knew who got 590 and had the paper they got the A2 in rechecked!!!! Its just really annoying to hear such idiotic behavior from people who are meant to be the cream of the crop of Leaving Cert graduates!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭!?!

when you're re-checking papers is it likely that the results can go down? i'd like to have english and maths corrected again and was thinking of having my teachers look at them, how do i go about doing this do i have to contact the school?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭LutherBlissett

What you're feeling is completely understandable.

Lots of factors can contribute to lead to the expectation of high points. Doing well in the mocks, excelling in class tests, a good relationship with your subject teachers...all of these things can cause you and those around you to anticipate something close to 600.

Sometimes it doesn't work out - the mocks/ class tests were too easy, or you had bad day(s) in the Leaving Cert. Anything like those scenarios can occur.

The feeling of flatness that something like that can leave (whether in the LC or college exams etc.) can be incredibly powerful at first. It can take a while to adjust to your points total. Don't listen to the begrudgers - don't wallow, but take your time. Share your disappointment with a teacher/parent/friend. You will find some or all of the above can be very understanding.

My advice after that would be to start looking at your college course, which by the sounds of things, you should be safe with points wise. It will move you on. In terms of the importance of the LC results - they're really not. They're a means to an end (your desired course), not an end in themself. To put it in perspective, after you get your first college results, it would no longer be the status quo put LC results on your academic CV. They are generally not put on Masters' applications. They define very little really once you're into college!

To posters like Felic: in the points system, it's all about relativity. For example, 300 points might be a course achieving high for one student, whereas it might be an unprecedented let down for somebody else. Different people have vastly different levels of potential, and build their expectations accordingly. I think it's unfair to criticise somebody you don't know because they have failed to reach their perceived potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

I repeated the year and got 470. Absolutely delighted, well worth going back for the year.

• Advertisement

Congrats Moneyman. Great to see posts like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

felic wrote: »
    Congrats Moneyman. Great to see posts like that.

Cheers :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 MadRush

does anyone know if you can take a leaving cert subject on your own while in college and just do that one subject in june?

in my case, i didn't get a C3 in maths, but i only had UCD and TCD down :(

i was wondering if i could accept a course but do maths with the notes i have and then take the exam?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 samehere

i am thinking to apply for recheck .......my first choice is dentistry i got 530 and i was sure that i got 570 ...........if i become eligible to a place due to an up-grade, will i entitled to take it up.
    like dentistry has limited seats so .......................

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

MadRush wrote: »
    does anyone know if you can take a leaving cert subject on your own while in college and just do that one subject in june?

in my case, i didn't get a C3 in maths, but i only had UCD and TCD down :(

i was wondering if i could accept a course but do maths with the notes i have and then take the exam?

doesnt matter if ur in college with a full time job u can repeat maths or the whole leaving as an external candidate

samehere wrote: »
    i am thinking to apply for recheck .......my first choice is dentistry i got 530 and i was sure that i got 570 ...........if i become eligible to a place due to an up-grade, will i entitled to take it up.
    like dentistry has limited seats so .......................

Not absolutely positive on this but what I think happens in that case if you were upgraded and get the require points post the rechecks, what they would do is offer you a deferral entry for next year. Thats very tough if that happens as it really highlights the problem with the current system. But if you are sure you got more than what you were given, have it checked. You will forever be wondering 'what if' if you dont. 530 is brilliant by the way! but if dentistry is 570, and considering the 14% increase in dentistry applicants this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭kmhenry

HOBO123 wrote: »
    i got 495 today which im not to sure im happy with as i really wanted veterinary .. i am seriously considering repeating but does anyone else think that a jump from 495 to 555 or 560 is just too far-fetched and slightly ambitious?
    the subjects i picked this year were not my favourite and i would not consider repeating some of my worst ones but im still not to sure if i should just take a different course or repeat?? i think im just too worried ill not reach my goal 2nd time round :(

p.s dont get me wrong i realise that i got a fair amount of points and i did work hard all year so i am happy with what i got .. just not happy being anything else but a vet :)

it is ambitious but not impossible and certainly not far fetched...giv it a go if dats wat u rally want...i know someone who got 400 pts in d lc, den repeatd and got 560!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 james5001

TowlieMcD wrote: »
    I got 555 and 158 in the HPAT so 709...so close yet so far....
    Ah well.. secondary teaching is an easier life! :):pac:

I was in the exact same position as you last year, I got 152 in the Hpat and 540 in the leaving cert. But instead of doing another course, I decided to give the Hpat another shot. <spamsnip>

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

English (H) - B3
    Maths (O) - A2
    Irish (O) - C3
    German (O) - C3
    Accounting (H) - B2
    Biology (H) - B2
    Economics (H) - C1
    LCVP - Merit

405 points, was absolutely delighted with myself, was expecting about 300 :)

A friend of mine got 600 points, was so happy for him, and he was modest about it, didn't tell anyone unless they asked, although the word did spread fast!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭The___________

Geography-A1
    Economics-A2
    Accounting-A2
    English-B1
    Maths-B1
    French-B2
    Irish-B3
    LCVP-Merit

All at honors apart from Irish so it added up to 530, was a bit annoyed at missing out on A1's in Eco and Acc felt I did enough work to get them but in the end I didn't need the points:D

Advertisement