Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VHI premium very expensive- alternatives?

Options
  • 26-07-2010 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭

Hi i'm with VHI for a few years and my premium has been steadily rising every year.
    I've got First Plan Plus and it's 840 this year.

I always just pay the thing, but this year i'm wondering to myself- jaysus is there a better, cheaper alternative out there- that's nearly a grand for (typically) a couple of GP and dental visits a year.

I know- you never know when you need it.
    But still.
    Shouldn't there be some kinda no claims bonus for the years i've been with them :p
    Just seems to rise inexorably every year

TBH i'll probably just pay it but just wondering what the alternatives are.
    And are others paying similar rates for private health insurance.
    Any help appreciated. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭rameire

Aviva and Quinn
    Check their websites,

everybody is cheaper than the Vhi.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

Just looked at the HIA site's comparison tool there comparing (supposedly) similar Aviva and Quinn plans there and tbh none of them are grabbing me.

A lot of them have higher excesses than VHI in the areas i'm interested in.
    And those are plans that shave (at most) maybe 50-100 quid off.
    And (although an irrational fear) i'm a bit wary of Quinn anyway (what with their recent trouble).

I'll probably just pay it tbh.
    For the sake of 50-100 quid.
    If it was car insurance i'd want to strip the policy to the bare bones, but health insurance is a bit different (again possibly an irrational fear :)).

Unless anyone has any other suggestions (Aviva preferably).

BTW are corporate/business plans something i can equally avail of (as an individual) or can they only be availed of through your work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Just looked at the HIA site's comparison tool there comparing (supposedly) similar Aviva and Quinn plans there and tbh none of them are grabbing me.

A lot of them have higher excesses than VHI in the areas i'm interested in.
    And those are plans that shave (at most) maybe 50-100 quid off.
    And (although an irrational fear) i'm a bit wary of Quinn anyway (what with their recent trouble).

I'll probably just pay it tbh.
    For the sake of 50-100 quid.
    If it was car insurance i'd want to strip the policy to the bare bones, but health insurance is a bit different (again possibly an irrational fear :)).

Unless anyone has any other suggestions (Aviva preferably).

BTW are corporate/business plans something i can equally avail of (as an individual) or can they only be availed of through your work.

For what it's worth, I just renewed with Quinn for motor insurance despite their trouble - but was able to haggle €140+ off the renewal quote (€965->€825). Try doing the same.

Also, Quinn will give you 10% discount if you have two policies so if you have motor with them it's a no brainer (although I'm with VHI, but then I don't pay it, the 'rents do :P )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Have a look through the policies on the HIA website.

If you're male, you don't need any maternity cover. Also, do you really need beacon / blackrock cover.

Also, ALL published plans are available to everyone including the various An Post Plans, Credit Union plans etc etc.

As for being wary of quinn - I'd prefer Quinn for the exact same reason - their books have been independently trawled over with a fine tooth comb and the regulator is happy with all the current systems in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Also, ALL published plans are available to everyone including the various An Post Plans, Credit Union plans etc etc.

Aye, I heard it mentioned on the radio recently that these 'Corporate Packages' can work out as better value. Worth investigating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Aye, I heard it mentioned on the radio recently that these 'Corporate Packages' can work out as better value. Worth investigating.

Defo go for the corporate package. You'll need to know which one you want to move to. I don't think they advertise them.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Black Dog

Get quotations from other companies for the level of cover you want and then go back to VHI and ask them to reconsider their quotation for you. My son did this and had 200Euro taken from his annual payments.

While health insurance is a bother there are moments when it comes in handy. I had a stay in hospital recently and the "maintenance" part of the bill - the cost of bed and meals, so to speak - came to over 1,300Euro per day. Surgery, procedures, tests etc were all extra to that. By coincidence, my wife was looking at the cost of a trip on the Orient Express: the cost of one day in hospital is about the same as a trip from London to Venice.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I found VHI actually cheaper so I moved from Aviva this year to company plan from VHI, especially when the day to day is taken into account

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Black Dog wrote: »
    While health insurance is a bother there are moments when it comes in handy. I had a stay in hospital recently and the "maintenance" part of the bill - the cost of bed and meals, so to speak - came to over 1,300Euro per day. Surgery, procedures, tests etc were all extra to that. By coincidence, my wife was looking at the cost of a trip on the Orient Express: the cost of one day in hospital is about the same as a trip from London to Venice.

I've seen time and time again where a patient who has never had private health insurance decides to go private when going into hospital. They feel that works out cheaper than paying VHI for 15 years before using it. That's all well and good when procedures go smoothly, BUT if complications occur it's difficult to go back to being a public patient and your bill can mount up into thousands!

I agree with the poster who advises you to talk to VHi, they may have a cheaper plan which will suit you and your family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

Black Dog wrote: »
    Get quotations from other companies for the level of cover you want and then go back to VHI and ask them to reconsider their quotation for you. My son did this and had 200Euro taken from his annual payments.

QUOTE]

The price on hia website is the price. Max discount that can be given is 10% so they couldn't have taken 200 euro off unless they were not offering the 10% discount in the first place or it was a different plan. There is no haggling maybe the waiving of a waiting period here and there.

Advertisement