Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

August 2010 Boards forecast contest

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,515 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

As of 0500h (04z) it has become a four-horse race with Gurteen, Casement, Dublin A and Claremorris all reporting 3 C.

All depends on the decimals from 0400h I guess, but time left for a sunrise minimum.

As of 0600h Gurteen has reported 1 C ... the other stations stayed at 3 or rose to 4.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Casement fell to 2c at 0700 while Gurteen remained at 1c.

Tullow (an unofficial station) fell to -0.1c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Gurteen got down to 0.6c this morning according to Ogimet. Whether it got down lower after 0600 utc I canny say; should be revealed once it is updated after 12.

An impressive temp, but is it an actual record breaker for the station? I have no idea how long this station has been operating for but I would imagine, given its location, that it would regulary record lower temperatures-if only by tenths- under similar conditions that those of the former Birr station.

I may well be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Sligo was 6.0c but does everyone now get zero for the min temp since wer all way off and didnt THINK we lived in the NORTH POLE!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Gurteen got down to 0.6c this morning I have no idea how long this station has been operating for

It's not been around that long - that's an awfully low temp for August in any case:eek:
    'An Automatic Weather Station (AWS) was opened at Gurteen on the 12th April 2008.'
    http://www.met.ie/about/weatherobservingstations/gurteen.asp

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

There was a light frost on the grass this morning to back up the cold temperatures. Didn't last long with the strong sun, but a reminder that the nights are lengthening noticeably now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

I'd say I've had a disaster of a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Fionagus wrote: »
    It's not been around that long - that's an awfully low temp for August in any case:eek:
    'An Automatic Weather Station (AWS) was opened at Gurteen on the 12th April 2008.'
    http://www.met.ie/about/weatherobservingstations/gurteen.asp

Wouldn't you think I would have even made an attempt to find that out before I posted! :o. Anyway, dosen't seem to have gotten any lower than the 0.6c on the Ogimet 12z reports .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Wouldn't you think I would have even made an attempt to find that out before I posted! :o
    LOL Happens to the best of us! Chalk it down to thunder deprivation ;):D

Ladies and gentlemen (are there any ladies here?) ...

(are there any gentlemen?) ...

And now the final results for August.

IMT 14.2 C
    max temp 24.2 (Oak Park 15th)
    min temp 0.6 (Gurteen 30th) :eek:

rainfall 52% (mean of 11 stations)
    sunshine 133% (mean of 6 stations)

bonus question already discussed

I will be scoring the month in the next hour or so, and posting the results in the usual place, the annual scoring thread. :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

hcp31031.jpg

Oh what a disasterous month!!!:(
    Lots of big fat zeros all round.

Is that the Greek finance minister by any chance?

Advertisement