Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Friend Replied with Strange Subject line

• 26-07-2010 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I was just emailing a friend, as I do often, and they replied with a fairly normal, "Ok! See you then", but the subject line had changed. Instead of "Re: Saturday", it said, "please hold all non-urgent email Re: Saturday". Now, they use their gmail account in a semi-business sense, so I'm wondering - is there any feature or mechanism by which this could have accidentally found its way into the subject line? Or would they actually have to type it, and be fully aware of it? Seemed a bit weird to me!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭RogerThis

He has an "Out of Office AutoReply" that is found in Settings and General tab.

You can add what you want to the subject line.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Blong!hahaha

I don't think so... Firstly, my friend read, understood and actually replied with a message, so it was not automatic. Secondly, the subject line had been added-to, not changed. Do you see what I mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Yeah but if he has an out of office on for whatever reason it will always reply like that - he can still respond to mails.

If he replied to the mail properly then I doubt its spam or whatever.

Edit: Yep just tested it and it adds the out of office to the subject you already had.

I didn't know that! Ok I'll try to duplicate it now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭RogerThis

There a lot of extra features in gmail labs. I could possibly come from there.

If the person is using the web based gmail, the subject can't be altered without clicking the "Edit Subject" link.

It would have been easer to type it in the email.

Is the gmail account a normal @gmail.com account, or a google apps @whatever.com domain?

• Advertisement

Nope, I couldn't replicate it. Instead I got 2 messages, one blank with amended subject, and one with the reply, subject intact. I just thought it was unusual - why would someone choose a subject for an autoresponder that spoke only of 'urgent' emails? Surely if you're gone you're gone!

RogerThis wrote: »
    There a lot of extra features in gmail labs. I could possibly come from there.

If the person is using the web based gmail, the subject can't be altered without clicking the "Edit Subject" link.

It would have been easer to type it in the email.

Is the gmail account a normal @gmail.com account, or a google apps @whatever.com domain?

Ordinary gmail account. Yeah...I will have to figure this one out. I have my reasons for being curious about this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Nope, I couldn't replicate it. Instead I got 2 messages, one blank with amended subject, and one with the reply, subject intact. I just thought it was unusual - why would someone choose a subject for an autoresponder that spoke only of 'urgent' emails? Surely if you're gone you're gone!

Thats really weird - I got the reply with the amended subject and the blank with just the out of office.

He might not be gone but just working on something important and is just letting people know he's busy?

Advertisement