Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stubborn pedal! Help please...

• 26-07-2010 9:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

Evening all,

Am having a bit of trouble removing an old spd pedal. It's the right side one. The chainring has already bitten my once and it was quite bloody :(

Any tips on removing this or should I just drop it into my LBS?

Thanks in advance.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭SubLuminal

Lefty loosey righty tighty?

Its the right hand side so "normal" threaded..

I was taking some pedals off today and it drove me nuts, kept getting confused which way to turn!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Get a rag, drench it in WD40, tie it around the pedal/crank joint. Leave it for 48h'rs, reapplying WD40 morning & evening. Try to remove it on Wed night. If it doesn't come off the you've to bring it to a LBS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

To protect your hand, wear a glove or wrap your hand in a tea towel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Taking pedals off is the annoying way. You turn the spanner the same way as the freewheel turns so it becomes awkward to loosen them...

It might help to stand on the pedal with one foot and on the end of the spanner with the other to get it started.

Be sure to grease the threads before you refit them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

Thanks lads, will give it another crack this eve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Raam wrote: »
    To protect your hand, wear a glove or wrap your hand in a tea towel.

Or use another boardsie to take the pain for you, eh Raam? :)

Volunteers welcome!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Hey, I gave you my glove :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Raam wrote: »
    Hey, I gave you my glove :)

And all you asked for in return was some skin off my knuckles :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

On a mountainbike I wouldn't be afraid to use extra leverage - put 3 feet of pipe over the spanner (make sure the spanner is a good fit!).

Maybe on lightweight road gear I'd soak it a bit longer in WD40 and use the softly softly approach

I usually smear a small bit of copper grease on pedals when installing to avoid steel axles cold-welding onto alloy cranks...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I'd use leverage on a road bike too, there is no major difference in strength between the cranks.

On the chainring thing it is always advised to have your chain on the big ring when removing pedals; much less damage will be done if you then slip onto it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭SubLuminal

blorg wrote: »

On the chainring thing it is always advised to have your chain on the big ring when removing pedals; much less damage will be done if you then slip onto it.

Good tip, never thought of that.

blorg wrote: »

Must remember that!

Advertisement