Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Am I developing a problem?

• 26-07-2010 10:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

How long does it take to develop a dependency on a substance, be it psychological or physical?

I'm asking because since April, I have been taking a medication for a mental health condition. I'm prescribed 200mg per day at the moment.

When I first started it, it REALLY helped.

Then **** hit the fan in my life and I stopped taking it, apart from the odd 50mg tablet here and there. About a month ago, I realized I needed to start taking it again, I was being silly.

Thing is, on "bad" days, 200mg wasn't enough to stop my anxiety from making me completely freak out and panic. So I started taking an extra 50mg. I figured I had plenty spare from my period of not taking them. Then, on bad days I'd need more so I'd take 300mg total.

Now it's gotten to a point where when I have a bad day, I take anywhere between 300mg - 800mg. And it doesn't work much anymore. It makes me feel very drunk, but doesn't actually help the reason I was prescribed it. It's only in the last 2 weeks that it's gotten very bad (800mg) though. Before that, I was able to stick to an extra 50-100mg.

I haven't taken any today and I only allowed myself 200mg yesterday, but I also drank yesterday so felt woozy anyway.

At the moment, for reasons I don't want to divulge, I can't speak to my doctor about this.

I don't think I'm dependent, I really don't. But, I had only been awake for 2 hours and already was stressing out and getting panicky because I wouldn't allow myself to take any yet. They might not help the problem anymore, but they make me feel high, which makes me numb, which is what I want. It's gotten so weird that I've even taken to smoking weed occasionally when out and I was VERY anti-drugs for quite some time.

I don't think I'm dependent but I really need your opinions because I have asked friends for opinions (some of whom had drug abuse and addiction problems in the past, and got half saying it's not a problem and half saying it is becoming a problem). It's scaring me a little now because the day after something really bad happened, I took about 850mg, didn't eat for that whole day or the day prior to that, and washed it down with about 3 litres of Red Bull plus 2 Red Bull shots, because I thought it might make the stress go away.

How long does it take to become dependent? I've only ever seen dependency in other people, and in those cases it crept up over a year or 6 months. I don't think I'm dependent because I can manage without it some days - although it does be on my mind all day. I took 2 and a half day's dosage just an hour ago. Some people are telling me I'm on the road to addiction, but I was told these tablets aren't addictive. And while I know addicts all say "I can stop when I want" but I really can. I could stop now, but I simply don't want to. I had a psychological addiction to something in the past and I never claimed that I could stop that whenever I wanted, because I knew damn well that I couldn't. But I'm really not in denial right now. I know I'm able to stop if I want to. Sure, I'll get a bit panicked and might stress like crazy, but I could do it. I simply don't want to.

Comments

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

At the moment, for reasons I don't want to divulge, I can't speak to my doctor about this.

well you have to. and if you cant go to your usual gp, go to another to discuss it properly.

i cant advise you on medication, but what i will say is that any variation of that dosage must be discussed with your doctor. and that includes stopping them all of a sudden. with some meds its really important to gradually reduce the dosage.

why are you messing around with these meds? your mental health is waayy to important to mess with.

discuss your concerns of addition/dependance with your doctor, they will be able to answer all your questions

good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Have been here before. This is not a medical forum and you should not be having this discussion with us here. This is a conversation you should be having with you GP. and I know what you are going through.

When I was on med I would happily take the dosage if it would stabilise my life.

You are not supposed to be drinking alcohol with your meds as destorys them and brings you back to square one.

If you cant speak to your doctor you either need to man up to it or get a new one.
    Stop self medicating this is Dangerous. Doubling your medication will not make the medication work faster/better as the body has an absorption rate.

Hanging around with Addicts or former addicts isnt the best company for some one in recovery.

Stop what you are doing and go to your GP first thing in the Morning. You have to be able to trust your GP.
    I hope you feel better soon and you have good friends to look after you. Once you get into a pattern of taking your meds and getting some rhythm cycles into your life thing will resemble some normality. Take care cos I know what you are going through.

Mods, please close this thread

tbh you do seem dependant on them. It looks like you know it yourself. I have friends who were properly addicted to weed and one who was even addicted to caffeine pills. I'm addicted to cigarettes so i know what its like when you think about going cold turkey. I would talk to your doctor about all this varying of dosages and discuss going off them.

I'm really against drugs and medication for anxiety. It only masks the problem and makes lots of money for the doctor and drug company. I wouldn't be surprised if the doctor is against taking you off them. I know all this because my dad is a doctor and he is always under pressure to prescribe prescribe prescribe. No matter what the problem theres a drug company cashing in on it.

I'm sure it really does help sometimes but overall it cant be healthy to be thinking about pills all the time. There are other ways to deal with anxiety. The above poster is right, dont mess around with your mind. Hope this helps and hope you can cut down on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43 Dave_24irl

Dude, seriously. You are taking FOUR TIMES the prescribed amount just as a reaction to however stressed you feel. This isn't what medication for anxiety is prescribed for and by sporadically taking it, not taking it and then making an issue out of it by denying yourself ANY of it you're wreaking havoc with your mental health - the reason you started taking it was to help you, not, create more problems.

You need to go see a doctor. If you are posting about it, you clearly suspect you have a problem. Also, when it comes to substance abuse it is advisable not to be banking on a 'grace' period of say 3-6 months where you can do and take what you like without becoming dependent. It is affecting you right now regardless of a physical addiction and although I am not a doctor, from what you describe there definitely seems to be a pre-occupation with the medication if not a psychological dependence.

Also, red bull, alcohol and weed are the worst things you can take for anxiety, you should consider cutting them out, especially on medication (not good for anxity AT ALL)

Bottom line though - see a GP and discuss the above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Kevo

You need to talk to your GP. Many medications have a maximum dose which you should not exceed as recommended by the manufacturer.

Also, if the meds you are on are anti depressants you need to maintain your prescribed dosage for a few weeks in order to benefit from them. Then go back to your GP and get an increased dose if needed. Just taking a few here and there will not work though I'm guessing your not on anti depressants.

Just go to your GP and be completely honest. They can answer your questions.
    Kevin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

You are self-medicating. You don't seem to realise how dangerous this is. Regardless of not being able to see your GP for reasons only known to yourself (might I add that I find this very strange) then you need to get yourself to other medical professional as a matter of urgency.

Hey, thanks for the responses.

k, wanna clear a few things up. I don't hang around with addicts anymore, I cut them all out of my life completely. I was just saying that I have been around them so I can see the affect it has on lives.

I'm not on anti-depressants. I don't want to say what I'm on, I don't want anyone who knows me to guess who I am because I'm very ashamed of this.

I was told specifically by my doctor that I CAN drink on these tablets. My doctor knows that I'm a social drinker who goes clubbing on a fairy regular basis and she said I can drink on them. That said, I try not to for the most part because the leaflet that came with them says I shouldn't. I only drink on them once in a blue moon now. When I go clubbing, I don't drink anymore.

I can't see my GP about this because it is not my GP who is treating me. I have a psychiatric illness and as such I need to see a psychiatrist to get my prescriptions. I am able to talk to my psychiatrist perfectly fine, but I cannot afford to see her for at least a month because I'm seeing her privately (the waiting lists for free ones were too long) and I pay a lot to see her, which I can't afford for a while. I MAY be getting a lend of the money from my mother though, because I can't pay all of my rent if I have to see the psychiatrist this week, I usually save up to see her. I've asked my mother for a lend of the money, just told her I need to see her because I'm having difficulties. I'll know within a few days whether or not I can get the lend.

Thanks for the input, everyone. I really appreciate it. I've taken less than my prescribed dose today and am hoping to stick to my prescribed dose as much as possible until I see my psychiatrist and can talk to her about it.

hi

just to say i visit a psychiatrist, and every visit my GP gets a letter updating them on my condition. My GP can prescribe anything my psychiatrist can.

You can visit your GP on any issue you have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Blackdrag

If you cant talk to your doc go sign your self in to the local hospital. The psycs will have a better chat with you and help you discover whats causing your issues.

Aunt had same problem, worked for her!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Companero

and yet you dont mention what drug it is that you're taking. Thats the most important thing.

Is it a Benzodiazapene of some kind ? e.g. Valium, Librium, and so on?

If so, then you can very definitely get addicted to them, and it's one of the hardest addictions to break.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

You need to discuss this with your doctor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

OP you need to talk to your Go or whoever is prescribing your medication

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement