Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Miss Piggys Battle for the Big Plates

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭howtomake

gymfreak wrote: »
    3. I bumped into an old PT from TF that I used to chat to..he started to tell me about a girl that was doing a fitness/physique comp in a few weeks time and how her training and diet is so different to mine (obviously). he then went on to tell me how uber-lean she is now..unlike like me who is 'fat'...:pac: I know I've eaten a lot of chocolate since the closing of IP and knowing that Will wont be checking my bodyfat..but I didn't think my fatness was noticeable already:pac:

Ah slap him! Why bother making a comment like that? I do sympathise for you with IP.:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

It's pretty impressive how much bullsh*t you've had to put up with in one day. Kudos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

You have the patience of a saint. God help anyone who tries that sh1t with me..my bullsh1t tolerance is definitely at an all time low.

Well done today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

Tuesday 19th April-C1
    Another credit to IP is the community spirit that was apparent..was just thinking today that a lot of the MMA guys or sports people in IP have something else to fall back on for the moment..but the lot of us that just 'trained' cos they enjoyed it have felt a bit lost the last few days..only thing is I've received loads of mails from IP people offering suggestions/advice and just basically a few friendly words...It's definitely been appreciated..I knew IP would always have my back :)

AM
    This morning I went out to RAW to have a look...and true to form got incredibly lost for aaaages :) Always happens..as a result I could only get 1 con block done and 2 workblocks cos I had to be somewhere :(..I hate cutting things short.

Con Block
    Row

150m x 10 w/ 30 sec rest
    All efforts were 36sec and under.
    Was wishing I'd listened more carefully to Damien when he talked about rowing..I did remember a good few pointers..but DAMN:)

Work Block 1-15mins
    Lunges with 10kg each hand
    10 DB Floor press 15kg
    10 e/s Unsupported rows 15kg
    7 rounds in 15mins-same

Work Block 2-15mins

5 Turkish Get up e/s 8kg
    5 KB row e/s 16kg
    10 Potatoe sack squat 24kg
    6 rounds in 15.30
    A minute quicker

Had to go :(

PM-went back to the bodybuilding-esque gym to finish the conditioning from earlier..I hate leaving things undone.

Con Block-row
    Decided to stick to the same structure for the con blocks as earlier and just do it the way it was intended.
    150m x 10 w/ 30 sec rest
    36sec or less
    My poor ass :( had to keep popping out of the seat during the rests

Work Block 1
    5 reverse lunge e/s with 10kg
    10 pushups
    3 Chin ups
    12 rounds in 15.30mins
    I always wanted to be able to do pullups/chinups as part of conditioning unassisted..hopefully I'll get decent reps if I keep at it:)

Con Block-row
    150m x 10 w/ 45sec rest
    Ouchies still, a lot of jumping out of the seat..and hard to keep the pace sub 36sec

Work Block
    5 windmills e/s 8kg
    10 Flat DB Bench Press 12kg
    10 DB row e/s 15kg
    9 rounds in 15.50mins

Con Block-row
    150m x 10 w/ 1min rest
    Was really nice to get the minute rest but the rows definitely slowed down..35sec-39sec:(

Tried to attempt the weighted pullups but my arms were too tired:(.

Todays notes:
    1. I was asked by the gym owner 'Are you still here..'...ahh it's good to know some things never change.

2. Gym owner came over again and said 'jaysus your not shy at all..your straight in there taking over the place'..hadn't realised it myself, but yeh..i suppose I do know what I'm doing, kinda, so had no trouble at all wandering around, getting what i needed, hogging equipment and camping out in the weights area:)

3. I have yet to see someone squat or deadlift..which is great for me..they all crowd around the DBs and the benches and they leave the rack alone:)

Taking over the place... love it. 6 months ago you'd probably be messing around on the edge of things.

Those row blocks suck. If at some point you really want to ruin your life, do take 3 minutes between the 30 and 45 second rest blocks, and 5m inutes between the 45 and 60 second blocks and do em all back to back. Horrible.

Was wondering about the chin ups in the Cond Blocks myself... could prob manage 2 or 3 without the bands, but wondering if it'd be better to sub in something else we can get more reps out of?

Might just invest in some bands.

Hanley wrote: »
    Those row blocks suck. If at some point you really want to ruin your life, do take 3 minutes between the 30 and 45 second rest blocks, and 5m inutes between the 45 and 60 second blocks and do em all back to back. Horrible.

I'll definitely try that during the week..keep the ideas coming!
    Was wondering about the chin ups in the Cond Blocks myself... could prob manage 2 or 3 without the bands, but wondering if it'd be better to sub in something else we can get more reps out of?

Might just invest in some bands.

Yeh, Hugh gave me a lend of a blue band but I was just in the humour to give it a shot without the band. Investing in some bands would be good for keeping the volume high..also, inverted rows will be another option for volume.

I've been using the workblocks recently as a way to work on my pullups..super strict..low rep..was using the red band for 5's..so I figure I'll keep that up for the next while (bodyweight) and switch to high/rep volume maybe at the end of the cycle??

Wednesday 20th April-S1
    *Sigh where to start..wasn't as productive as last weekend:(
    Tried using the box but it was far too high, didnt feel like I was near parallel so had to ditch the box squats..:( I always felt safer doing box squats rather than back squats.

Squats
    50kg x 8...should of done a warm up set at 40 and 50 but someone asked to work in and it was just easier to do the same
    60kg x 8
    65kg x 5
    70kg x 5
    70kg x 5
    70kg x 5
    75kg x 4...I chickened out:( Got a fright..was afraid I wouldn't be able to come back up
    *see video..3rd rep definitely a bit too high

75kg x 1...someone stopped me after 1 rep and told me to rerack:(
    Completely lost my confidence as he proceeded to tell me I'd set the pins too low, I shouldn't low bar, I shouldn't squat so low and a heap of other things:(:(
    Left it a few mins and tried again..but a little scared
    75kg x 3

Next session..maybe I'll just try 75kg x 3 (5 sets)??:confused:
    I know I'm just going to have to harden the **** up.

SLDL
    18kg x 8
    20kg x 8
    20kg x 8
    22kg x 8
    Couldn't remember whether is was same hand same foot, or opposite hand opposite foot...went with same hand same foot..anyone shed some light??

Standing Ab Pulldowns
    20 @ 25kg
    20 @ 30kg
    20 @ 30kg
    20 @ 30kg
    Not as fun as doing it with the bands tho:)

Chin ups
    Bodyweight 5 x 5

DB Floor Press
    12kg x 12
    12kg x 12
    14kg x 12
    14kg x 12
    14kg x 12
    14kg x 12
    14kg x 12
    I tried using the 16kg and nearly killed myself in the process..I'll try it again the next day..cos I really should be able to lift 16kg..it's only a smidgen heavier than the 15kg:(

DB Side bends
    20kg x 12
    20kg x 12
    20kg x 12

Overhead Plate Extensions
    10kg
    100 reps..sigh

I'm going to start posting videos of my lifts on my log..feel free to comment and critique:):)

Today:
    1. A bird shat beside me whilst I was squatting..I kid you not..birds live in the roof of the gym..I could see the little fecker.

2. Asking people what they weigh is not normal in non-IP facilities..some lad came over to tell me he was thinking of competing..I asked about his squat, DL and weight..poor lad..he looked so confused and unimpressed..backed away when I told him my deadlift was 115kg too.

3. Some guy asked to work-in with me when I was starting to squat..he left after we got to 70kg..I think he was afraid I'd keep going..although in fairness to him..he had good technique.

4. Two guys tried to Deadlift in front of me..they were using the teeny tiny sized plates, whilst using a belt, with bent arms, bar away from the legs..they too were equally unimpressed when I offered some critique..but it was sooo horrendous I couldn't help myself..right in front of me.

5. I don't like people coming over to me telling me I'm doing everything wrong, I need to use lighter weights and that I should sue Will when I put my back out:( This is why I'm going to video lifts..I'll leave it to you guys to tell me I'm doing it wrong:)
    3rd set at 70kg

75kg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Karla where the fùck are you training!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Da Za

With the SLDL it's same leg same arm.

You're gonna have to ignore the general population for the most part, some will know what they're talking about and most won't!!

With regards to your squatting you're just gonna have to harden up and grow some confidence. After a while you'll be able to read your body and realise when and where to pull the plug.

The same pertains to you Benching the other day. You'll know if your good for the single or not plus doing without a spotter gives the extra incentive not to kill yourself.

Chest up, head up, arch and tuck your elbows!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,282 ✭✭✭COH

Da Za wrote: »
    With regards to your squatting you're just gonna have to harden up and grow some confidence. After a while you'll be able to read your body and realise when and where to pull the plug.

Do what he says... not what he does :pac:

Wednesday 20th April-S1
    *Sigh where to start..wasn't as productive as last weekend:(
    Tried using the box but it was far too high, didnt feel like I was near parallel so had to ditch the box squats..:( I always felt safer doing box squats rather than back squats.

Squats
    50kg x 8...should of done a warm up set at 40 and 50 but someone asked to work in and it was just easier to do the same
    60kg x 8
    65kg x 5
    70kg x 5
    70kg x 5
    70kg x 5
    75kg x 4...I chickened out:( Got a fright..was afraid I wouldn't be able to come back up
    *see video..3rd rep definitely a bit too high

THey looked ok. A bit high by PL standards, but pretty much at parallel. It's the first time you've squatted heavy in a while tho? I'd probably drop back and build up over the course of a few weeks... 60, 65, 70, 75, 80 over the course of a month or so.
    75kg x 1...someone stopped me after 1 rep and told me to rerack:(
    Completely lost my confidence as he proceeded to tell me I'd set the pins too low, I shouldn't low bar, I shouldn't squat so low and a heap of other things:(:(

This person is a f*cking idiot.

Left it a few mins and tried again..but a little scared
    75kg x 3
    Next session..maybe I'll just try 75kg x 3 (5 sets)??:confused:
    I know I'm just going to have to harden the **** up.

Like I said, I'd prolly go 65 or 70, but if you think the 75s were just tough cos you weren't mentally ready then try 75 5x3 next week and see how it goes. You're gonna have to learn how to pick your own weights. Looking back on videos will help a lot, cos it might feel like the bar's not movin when it actually is moving smoothly enough upon review.

Standing Ab Pulldowns
    20 @ 25kg
    20 @ 30kg
    20 @ 30kg
    20 @ 30kg
    Not as fun as doing it with the bands tho:)

;)
    Chin ups
    Bodyweight 5 x 5

Nice!

I'm going to start posting videos of my lifts on my log..feel free to comment and critique:):)

2. Asking people what they weigh is not normal in non-IP facilities..some lad came over to tell me he was thinking of competing..I asked about his squat, DL and weight..poor lad..he looked so confused and unimpressed..backed away when I told him my deadlift was 115kg too.

This is funny!!
    3. Some guy asked to work-in with me when I was starting to squat..he left after we got to 70kg..I think he was afraid I'd keep going..although in fairness to him..he had good technique.

Warm up next time you sap, don't start with 50kg.
    4. Two guys tried to Deadlift in front of me..they were using the teeny tiny sized plates, whilst using a belt, with bent arms, bar away from the legs..they too were equally unimpressed when I offered some critique..but it was sooo horrendous I couldn't help myself..right in front of me.

I wish I was there for that.
    5. I don't like people coming over to me telling me I'm doing everything wrong, I need to use lighter weights and that I should sue Will when I put my back out:( This is why I'm going to video lifts..I'll leave it to you guys to tell me I'm doing it wrong:)

People are morons. You're gonna have to learn to turn your bullsh!t filter on. Or play up to it and act really dumb and just have a laugh at their expense.

With the SLDL it's same leg same arm.
    Thanks for that.
    Da Za wrote:

The same pertains to you Benching the other day. You'll know if your good for the single or not plus doing without a spotter gives the extra incentive not to kill yourself.

Chest up, head up, arch and tuck your elbows!!!!
    Agree
    Hanley wrote:
    THey looked ok. A bit high by PL standards, but pretty much at parallel. It's the first time you've squatted heavy in a while tho? I'd probably drop back and build up over the course of a few weeks... 60, 65, 70, 75, 80 over the course of a month or so.

Yeh..first time back squatting without a box since I joined IP..I was a bit too hyper from the get-go and didn't even think about what weight or reps to use. I'll drop back next time and take my time. Just put up a vid of the 70kg..what ya think of that one? Looks much easier than the 75kg doesn't it?

Tonnes better. 5th rep was a bit dodgecore.... And you're squatting with one foot about 6 inches forwardo f the other on purpose yah? :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

You guys need to pool together and rent a shed or a lock up, buy a rack and a couple of hundred kg and make your own gym. I wouldn't be able to put up with that ****.

• Advertisement

You guys need to pool together and rent a shed or a lock up, buy a rack and a couple of hundred kg and make your own gym. I wouldn't be able to put up with that ****.

A lock up... with racks.... and a few hundred kg worth of weight.... hmmmm.... :D

I was actually searching the Internet high and low looking for a garage or something to that effect to rent. With no such luck......it was a moment of desperation..... I was a whirlwind of emotions on sunday!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

You have to take me to this gym.

I don't even want to train just watch you emasculate all those poor bastards!

COH wrote: »
    Do what he says... not what he does :pac:

I'd thank that twice if i could :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Will Heffernan

I would of sold you IP if you wanted it that badly.

• Advertisement

Tonnes better. 5th rep was a bit dodgecore.... And you're squatting with one foot about 6 inches forwardo f the other on purpose yah? :p
    Whoops...although..watch the vid again..you can actually see the bird **** on the floor just above my right foot :D:D
    Agree....any takers????:)

Worse still.. that wasn't even in a big commercial gym...:(sigh..although watch the 70kg squat vid..I think that's the one where ya can hear 'It's all you bro'..and other similar sentiments
    Da Za wrote:
    I was actually searching the Internet high and low looking for a garage or something to that effect to rent. With no such luck......it was a moment of desperation..... I was a whirlwind of emotions on sunday!!!
    :( I like this idea
    I would of sold you IP if you wanted it that badly.
    :( It wasn't just IP we wanted..it was everything...top notch coaches..top notch people..top notch facility...:)

Thursday 21st April-C2
    Went up to try out Ballymun Gym..but it was closed..:confused: so ended up back at the Bodybuilding-eque gym and was running short on time.

Weighted PullupsThese have turned into a disaster :( I'll keeping trying
    2.5kg x 1
    5kg x 1
    7.5kg x F :(
    5kg x 1 (8 sets)..meant to do 10 but got it 8 and it just wasn't happening.

Con Block
    500m
    2mins off
    500m
    3mins off
    500m
    2mins on the button for each 500m..my legs and ass when actually killing me from the get go..must of been from the squatting the day before.

Work Block
    10 Burpees
    10 DB Pushup 8kg
    10 Sit Up
    9 rounds in 16.35

Con Block
    Didn't want to row again cos my elbow was really sore..I'm guessing it's just because I'm not used to rowing..Going to get Damien to show me how to row properly so if it's an issue with technique he'll hopefully fix it for me:)

Instead, I asked the owner if I could run out on the roof..the emergency door to the gym opens onto a roof...surprisingly...he said yes..I was actually taken aback!!

Lateral Sprints-10mins
    Every 15 secs

Work Block
    Elbow and shoulder were still sore so I changed the last workblock..
    5 Goblet Squat 24kg
    10 pushups
    10 Supported rows e/s 16kg
    9rounds in 15.37
    I was a bit too optimistic choosing the weight for the goblet squat..I haven't done it in ages and it near killed me..lighter next time methinks:)

Have to get my ass back into gear next week feels like I'm slacking.

Friday 22nd April-S2
    I decided to take a trip out to Ironside today and have a look around. Had planned on doing conditioning but was hungover so settled for S2 instead.

Deadlifts
    60kg x 8
    70kg x 8
    90kg x 3
    90kg x 3
    90kg x 3
    100kg x 1
    105kg x 1
    110kg x 1
    110kg x 1
    110kg x 1
    Bar moved pretty quickly for the first two 110s..last one was a bit of a struggle..might try up it to 115kg next time depending on how it feels..maybe go back to 5 triples at 90 then 100, 110, 115??

DB Step Ups
    4 x 8 10kg DBs

Weighted Bridge
    10kg
    5 x 60/60

Bench Press
    20kg x 8
    20kg x 8
    30kg x 5
    40kg x 5
    40kg x 5
    40kg x 5
    40kg x 5
    40kg x 5
    45kg x 1
    47.5kg x F..I soooo nearly had this one, just couldnt lock it out..fairly confident that I'll get it in the near future:)
    47.5kg x F
    45kg x 1
    45kg x 1

Benching was great today, hadnt managed 5's at 40 in a while and the 45's flew up without a struggle..that 47.5kg is definitely on the horizon:D

DB Supported rows
    20kg x 12
    20kg x 12
    25kg x 8
    25kg x 8
    25kg x 8

Weighted Side bridge
    10kg
    3 x 45/15
    upped the weight..and by God did I feel it.

EZ bar Bicep Curls
    There was no lightish DBs so I subbed in the bicep curls instead of the hammer curls
    10kg x 10
    10kg x 10
    10kg x 10
    10kg x 10

Got someone to spot me for the heavy benching and thought..wow he knows how to spot.. he let me take a really good go at the 47.5 before helping...I then found out he was d'Oracle:)So kudos..

Still not settled on a new gym yet:(

BUT, I have decided it's high time to pick something to train for...soooo..Im going to give powerlifting a shot..I'll definitely be needing a lot of help along the way

Benching was great today, hadnt managed 5's at 40 in a while and the 45's flew up without a struggle..that 47.5kg is definitely on the horizon:D

THe plate's in Ironside are probably just a bit lighter.

GPC Nationals July 24th- You've got 3 months.

Maybe do a single at 100kg then straight to 115, it's only just over a 10% jump so you should be fine!!

Are triples not called for on bench and then singles, I wouldn't have tried the 47.5 for a second time unless the miss was due to miss groove or set up problem.

He's kinda right, you need to get more comfortable at making bigger jumps to 1rms.

Are triples not called for on bench and then singles, I wouldn't have tried the 47.5 for a second time unless the miss was due to miss groove or set up problem.

Oh..I though it was 3-5 reps of 3-5 sets, no?

With the 47.5kg, I tried it again because it really was soooo close too lock out, and it didnt ruin me cos I was able to go back and do 45s no bother.

Saturday 23rd April-C1
    Con Block-Rower
    150m x 10 with 30 sec rest
    I had to put a towel on the seat so my ass wouldn't be as sore today:o
    Stupid rower wouldnt display in metres, only calories...I pressed all the buttons, unplugged the lead to the screen and asked people..but nope couldnt figure it out...so just went for about 36sec because the 150s were also under 36sec last time.

Work Block 1
    Lunges 10kg
    10 Unsupported row e/s 16kg
    10 DB Floor Press 16kg
    The floor press was sooo heavy..never managed to use 16s on a strength day..never mind during a con block
    8 rounds in 15.35-surprisingly was up a round

Con Block-Rower
    150m(36 sec) x 10 with 45sec rest
    I was able to keep an eye on the av 500m time..so always kept that under 2mins to make sure I kept at my pace

Work Block
    5 e/s Turkish Get up 8kg
    5 Unsupported row e/s 16kg
    10 Potatoe Sack Squat 24kg
    6 rounds in 16.54min..slower than last time

Con Block-Rower
    150m (36sec)x 10 with 1min rest
    Can't wait to be shown properly how to row

Also, anyone got any suggestions of other con blocks for me..like how to structure them..either on the bike or even the punch bag...actually, preferable the punch bag:)

He's kinda right, you need to get more comfortable at making bigger jumps to 1rms.

Oh...that's interesting

The lads are right about getting used to bigger jumps, but 110 -> 115 is like a 15% jump. That'd been the equivalent of me taking a 35kg jump on my squats when I'm at the top end of things, and imo, that's too much.

85%->92-93%->100% in training, or 90%->95%->100% in competition is what I feel's about right. Anymore and I feel the weight's gonna hit you too hard.

RE: conditioning blocks you could do something like:

3x 3 minute rounds w/ 1 minute break between rounds:
    -plate shifting
    -push ups (you go straight from push up to plank, and at no point do you let your knees hit the ground, pike up if you need a rest)
    -punch outs on the bag (it'll all be very tough on your shoulders)

On the bike... 15 seconds on/45 off x10, increasing cycle time and decreasing rest, pick a distance you can do going all out and try to match it each round. Distances stop you sandbagging.

There's lot of row intervals you could try - 6x 500m w/ 2 minute recovery, 200-400-600-800-1000-800-600-400-200 w/ 2 minute recovery etc etc...

The lads are right about getting used to bigger jumps, but 110 -> 115 is like a 15% jump. That'd been the equivalent of me taking a 35kg jump on my squats when I'm at the top end of things, and imo, that's too much.

That's why i said he was kinda right :)

Taking advice on Daz about jumps in weight is like taking advice about jumps in weight from somebody that's really bad a making jumps in weight. :pac:

i crack myself up sometimes.

• Advertisement

Monday 25th April-S1
    The plan is to get back in training mode this week and to get my diet and training back on the right track..been fairly all over the place the last week or so.

Squats
    40kg x 8
    50kg x 8
    60kg x 5
    70kg x 5
    70kg x 5 * see video
    70kg x 5
    70kg x 5

I'd actually meant to do 60, 65 and depending how they felt go for 70..but the plates aren't colour coded so accidently did 70 without noticing and it felt grand, not really too much of a struggle

I did have a trainer come over to me after the video-ed set and he told me to drop back to 65 cos I was leaning too far forward..thought about it but figured that they felt grand enough and it was never a major problem before so I just stuck with the weight.

SLDL
    22kg x 8
    22kg x 8
    22kg x 8
    22kg x 8

Kneeling Ab Pulldowns
    10/10 @ 5
    10/10 @ 6
    10/10 @ 7

Chin ups
    Bodyweight 5 x 5

DB Floor Press
    12kg x 12
    12kg x 12
    16kg x 12
    16kg x 12
    16kg x 12
    16kg x 12
    16kg x 12

DB Side bends
    20kg x 12
    20kg x 12
    20kg x 12

Overhead Plate Extensions
    10kg
    100 reps..sigh

Was asked today would I consider training for physique/fitness competitions, I answered that I was more interested in powerlifting..then had a group of bodybuilders try to tell me I shouldn't powerlift..that I'd look much better if I trained for a fitness/physique competition.. and why wouldn't I give it a shot...my short answer...I wouldnt want to diet for it!! It got a round of laughter but it also stopped the questions:)

That lad in the background pretending to spot his missus, was not spotting his missus.

That lad in the background pretending to spot his missus, was not spotting his missus.

She's actually a figure competitor competing this weekend and he's her trainer..who happens to be the bloke that commented on the squats today saying I need to use a lighter load to straighten my back

Those squats were fairly savage. Assuming your lower back wasn't rounded, ignore that guy cos he doesn't know what he's talking about.

She's actually a figure competitor competing this weekend and he's her trainer..who happens to be the bloke that commented on the squats today saying I need to use a lighter load to straighten my back
    Tell him to keep his worthless opinions to himself.

You have other problems to work on but unfortunately for you (and him) he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Tell him to keep his worthless opinions to himself.

Will do.
    You have other problems to work on but unfortunately for you (and him) he doesn't know what he's talking about.
    Other problems?..anything I can start working on?

Other problems?..anything I can start working on?
    I will email you.

Tuesday 26th April

Am- Hot yoga-70mins
    I actually really enjoyed this. I thought the heat was going to be a bit much but it wasnt, it was fine. Although. the yoga lady is fairly scary and the class was very fast paced..perfect for my attention span:)

PM-C2
    Trying to keep the weighted pullups up..but my elbow and shoulder are niggling at me a bit:(

Weighted Pullups
    2.5kg x 1
    5kg x 1 Only did 5 sets before i started failing..meant to go back..but forgot

Today was one of those days..was happy going to the gym..then got there and just wanted to go..

Con Block-Rower
    200-49sec
    400- 1.37
    600-2.28
    800-3.22
    1000-4.20
    800-3.28
    600-2.32
    400-1.40
    200-50sec
    with 2min rest in between..I think these are sanity rests:)

This felt grand enough..havent really figured out what I should be aiming for/what I'm capable of with the rowing blocks yet..so it'll prob take me some time before I really start pushing in them..

Work Block
    10 Goblet Squat 20kg
    5 double DB press 12kg
    3 Chinups
    8 rounds in 15.07
    The Goblet squat absolutely killed my lower back

Con Block-rowing
    200-51sec
    400-1.43
    600-2.35
    800-3.28
    1000-4.23
    800-3.32
    600-2.35
    400-1.44
    200-49sec
    with 2min rest in between..
    Times were 1-6 sec slower than the first round

Work Block
    10 Burpees
    10 DB Pushup 8kg
    10 Sit Up
    9 rounds in 17.22
    over a minute slower today:(

PM-C2
    Trying to keep the weighted pullups up..but my elbow and shoulder are niggling at me a bit:(
    So? Your plan is to just ignore it?
    Weighted Pullups
    2.5kg x 1
    5kg x 1 Only did 5 sets before i started failing..meant to go back..but forgot.
    Good...glad you forgot.

Today was one of those days..was happy going to the gym..then got there and just wanted to go..
    Con Block-Rower
    200-49sec
    400- 1.37
    600-2.28
    800-3.22
    1000-4.20
    800-3.28
    600-2.32
    400-1.40
    200-50sec
    with 2min rest in between..I think these are sanity rests:)

This felt grand enough..havent really figured out what I should be aiming for/what I'm capable of with the rowing blocks yet..so it'll prob take me some time before I really start pushing in them..
    You should probably ask someone...because if you asked me I would of told you that you were retarded...that these rowing blocks were way too long and therefore the intensity would be way too low for a steam engine like you and that you needed to be doing much shorter intervals say 150-200m in length and having 30, 45 or 60secs recovery between each and that you should maybe be doing 10 of them.
    Work Block
    10 Goblet Squat 20kg
    5 double DB press 12kg
    3 Chinups
    8 rounds in 15.07
    The Goblet squat absolutely killed my lower back.
    That block looks good....would of preferred to see you doing it having not done the weighted pull ups at the start and the ridiculously long conditioning block before it.
    Con Block-rowing
    200-51sec
    400-1.43
    600-2.35
    800-3.28
    1000-4.23
    800-3.32
    600-2.35
    400-1.44
    200-49sec
    with 2min rest in between..
    Times were 1-6 sec slower than the first round
    Slower? I wonder why?
    Work Block
    10 Burpees
    10 DB Pushup 8kg
    10 Sit Up
    9 rounds in 17.22
    over a minute slower today:(
    5 Burpees would be better.

• Advertisement

So? Your plan is to just ignore it?.
    Well..that's what the plan was to see if it'd disappear..didnt work that way. I know the shoulder pain cos I had that before and know what to do..it's the elbow that's new.
    You should probably ask someone...because if you asked me I would of told you that you were retarded...that these rowing blocks were way too long and therefore the intensity would be way too low for a steam engine like you and that you needed to be doing much shorter intervals say 150-200m in length and having 30, 45 or 60secs recovery between each and that you should maybe be doing 10 of them
    I'm not good at maths..but I did figure it was waaay to long when I was doing it.. I had tried to do 30/30 on the bike..but the bike was overly complicated. Grand so, short intervals it is:)
    That block looks good....would of preferred to see you doing it having not done the weighted pull ups at the start and the ridiculously long conditioning block before it.
    Whoops..but I knew if I tried to do the weighted pullups after they'd be ****..which they were anyway..so...point gladly taken:)
    5 Burpees would be better.
    OK

Thanks for the feedback:D

Wednesday 27th April-S2

Deadlifts
    60kg x 8
    70kg x 8
    90kg x 3
    90kg x 3
    90kg x 3
    100kg x 1
    110kg x 1
    110kg x 1 * see video
    110kg x 1
    110kg x 1
    I had planned to go straight for 115 after 110..but the battery on the camera died during the 1st 110kg so I went again. I thought it felt alright but it was a bit nasty looking when I replayed it so I just stuck to 110kg.

I actually need to pay better attention to the rests in between..was dawdling a bit today.

DB Step Ups
    4 x 8 10kg DBs

Weighted Bridge
    10kg
    5 x 60/60

Bench Press
    20kg x 8
    20kg x 8
    30kg x 5
    42.5kg x 3:)
    42.5kg x 3
    42.5kg x 3
    42.5kg x 3
    42.5kg x 3
    45kg x 1
    47.5kg x F..damn spotter's touch!!
    45kg x 1..ditched the spotter for these
    45kg x 1

It doesn't happy often..but I'm actually happy enough with the benching..never did anything over 40kg for reps before..and the singles at 45kg were flying up again today.

DB Supported rows
    Kept it light enough so as not to hurt my shoulder/elbow
    20kg x 12
    20kg x 12
    20kg x 12
    20kg x 12
    20kg x 12

Weighted Side bridge
    10kg
    3 x 45/15

Seated Hammer Curls
    8kg x 12
    8kg x 12
    8kg x 12
    8kg x 12

8kg x 12

Con Block-10 mins Just to keep Paul happy:)
    Lateral Sprints from the sideline
    Every 20secs

PM-70mins hot yoga
    Even though the yoga lady is really stern and abrupt..I actually find it really relaxing :)

Is that what your deadlift normally looks like?

Lovin the title piglet

Is that what your deadlift normally looks like?

Pretty much, yeh.

Pretty much, yeh.

*Awkward

• Advertisement

Thursday 28th April-C1
    Had a look at Northwood today and I'm thinking I might settle with it as my new home:( In fairness, I did like all the space, I had thought it would be all cramped like TF but it wasn't. Only problem is the squat rack..it doesn't have safety bars...a bit of a neccessity for me..so I'll be squatting elsewhere on heavy days.

Will was talking today about how he's going to structure my training, so I'm much happier and more at ease...I like plans:) Once I have a plan it's easy to just go and do it.

Con Block-Rower
    150m x 10 with 60 sec rest
    I like long rest periods.

Work Block 1
    Lunges 10kg
    10 Unsupported row e/s 15kg
    10 DB Floor Press 15kg
    8 rounds in 14.37-a tad quicker:)

Con Block-Rower
    150m x 10 with 60 sec rest
    34.7- These last two hurt

Work Block
    5 e/s Turkish Get up 7.5kg
    5 Unsupported row e/s 15kg
    10 Potatoe Sack Squat 25kg
    6 rounds in 17mins...slower again:(

Con Block-Rower
    150m x 10 with 60sec rest

PM- Went for a run and about 7km in my knee really really started hurting. Was stretching and stretching but it wasn't helping..had to walk the next 4km home....walking is sooo inefficient...and the knee is my fault..haven't been stretching lately:(

Pretty much, yeh.

In fairness, I've seen you DL with better form, so I wouldn't say you lift like that all the time. Anyways, it's only 5kg off your max, and it didn't look that hard. Hope you're aiming for way higher when you compete.... :)

G86 wrote: »
    In fairness, I've seen you DL with better form, so I wouldn't say you lift like that all the time. Anyways, it's only 5kg off your max, and it didn't look that hard. Hope you're aiming for way higher when you compete.... :)

G you have this idea that everyones form disintegrates within a certain % of max and that's fine and acceptable.

It really isn't.

G you have this idea that everyones form disintegrates within a certain % of max and that's fine and acceptable.

It really isn't.

I knew you'd say that, and I'm not forming any kind of argument here.

I'm simply saying that she doesn't deadlift like that all of the time, end of story.

G86 wrote: »
    I knew you'd say that, and I'm not forming any kind of argument here.

I'm simply saying that she doesn't deadlift like that all of the time, end of story.

She shouldn't be deadlifting like that at all.

That's my point she's not failing lifts because she's not strong enough, she's failing them because her technique isn't as good as it could be.

She needs to get to a stage where her fails look like her warm ups lol.

• Advertisement
Advertisement