Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst website design

Options
  • 26-07-2010 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭

So, I've been coming across way too many designs lately. It seems a few others here are too. I came across this one and couldn't not show everyone: yvettesbridalformal.com

CAUTION: may temporarily distort your vision.

I love how this site has a visitor counter at the bottom that goes up a few hundred every time the page is refreshed.

Anybody else found anything dangerous to the eyes?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

What's wrong with it....
    Jesus I've been brain washed... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

My browser crashed while it was loading..

Second time it loaded fine.....

What a piece of crap :D (Not surprising @ all)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

What the hell.....

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Podman

ow, my eyes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭RINO87

..ze goggles do nothing!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭lalee17

/gauges eyes out

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭fergalfrog

lil_lisa wrote: »
    I love how this site has a visitor counter at the bottom that goes up a few hundred every time the page is refreshed.

This is the third time now I have came across this site. I am starting to think it has been deliberatley made bad so that it spreads virally.

Looking at the site, while a mess has been created a lot of effort has been put in to create this mess. At the end of the day did the client sign off on it? It has been around for quite a while too. See:
    http://digg.com/design/No_THIS_is_the_Worst_Designed_Site_on_the_Web

Maybe I am just paranoid but I am starting to think all this has been done on purpose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

You could be right there fergalfrog as the website has a page rank of 4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

fergalfrog wrote: »
    Maybe I am just paranoid but I am starting to think all this has been done on purpose.

Exactly what crossed my mind....a half-decent budget site wouldn't have gotten anywhere near this level of discussion and inward links.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭fergalfrog

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Exactly what crossed my mind....a half-decent budget site wouldn't have gotten anywhere near this level of discussion and inward links.

Yes let's stop talking about it as we are only adding fuel to the fire. :D

Anyone can make a bad site and there are lots but a huge amount of effort has gone into this one to make it as bad as it is.

It's like a reality talent show - you only get on tv if you are really good or really, really bad and this site I think has set out to be in the latter category.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

I think you're spot on fergal, too much effort has gone into make it like this, definitely not an accident. It reminds me of your one Ling from dragons den, perhaps her site was even an inspiration because somehow it works for her, http://www.lingscars.com, it's just a big ball of 'AHHHH where do I start'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Tim M-U

look here.. http://www.worstwebsiteoftheday.com/ ..
    nough said!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Ah yes, Lings Cars. Reckoned someone might mention that.

On the face of it Lings Cars looks like a POS and in many ways is. However, that's just limiting opinion to the visual aspects of the site which is a mistake, there's actually a helluva lot to it than meets the eye. A few months ago this thread was started:

website

What follows is a lesson in branding, no frills business models, very quirky personal touch and in your face humour, innovation (the sounds in the office when certain events are triggered) and customer service. So much so that that forum rightly saw fit to put her 'in the well'.

Ling is in the well! Q&A with Ling from lingscars.

Recommended reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

There's a difference between a bad business strategy and a bad website design. Her strategy is clearly working, I won't refute that but I still feel the website is a bad design.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I think it's a fantastic design. More sites should be more creative like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

I vote for this site:
    http://www.pfa.com/
    It's an actual business in San Francisco.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

mhge wrote: »
    I vote for this site:
    http://www.pfa.com/
    It's an actual business in San Francisco.

I think the following tag says enough about the design (or lack of) for that site
    <meta name="GENERATOR" content="Microsoft FrontPage 4.0">

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Zonua

yvettesbridalformal.com

CAUTION: may temporarily distort your vision.
    Omg my eyes vomited a little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 vitaminG

Came across a website a while ago (can't remember the name at the moment, maybe a good thing) for a company which traded in VERY high end exclusive lifestyle products such as designer clothing, sporty cars, etc. Anyway, they obviously considered that they were so exclusive they didn't need to follow what other websites for mere mortals do.

The company name was in a very stylish font but an incerdibly small font size for a homepage (white, of course) and a brief (about 20 words or less) description of, basically, how they could enrich your life while emptying your wallet. The link buttons were dotted about the page but, cleverly, contained no text and were coloured white on a white background. Users had to blindly scroll about until they happened to stumble across one.

Wonder how much trade it generated for them and whether the designer and his guide dog ever worked again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭lucideer

Worst website design...
    ... yvettesbridalformal.com

I'm fairly surprised a lot of people here seem to think this is a serious attempt at web design - it's clearly a (brilliantly executed) piss take. Looks like a huge amount of work went into it (yes it was made with Yahoo SiteBuilder, but even still - it takes effort to make something that messed up no matter what you're using).

Perhaps it was designed by that guy wrapped up in the bed-sheet and surrounded by skulls on the "death letter" page.

It reminded me of the old borat.tv site, although I must say this one is far more accomplished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

That could actually be genuine as the site is listed on so many 'bad design' indexes.

Loads more here... www.sitefail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

Check out this one!

http://www.hosanna1.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Dude111 wrote: »
    Check out this one!

http://www.hosanna1.com

:eek:

http://www.hosanna1.com/AAAWWW/why/index.html
    NO ONE CAN DESIGN ANY WEBSITE AT MULTIPLE SCREEN RESOLUTIONS, WITHOUT DESIGNING MULTIPLE PAGES, WHICH WOULD BE COST PROHIBITIVE FOR MOST OF US. I do not have the time, nor the server space to create and host multiple copies of our fairly extensive (over 200 megabytes as of January, 2005) website at all possible screen settings. I 'could' do it, but I will not. I can not afford to. So all those who do not use 800x600 will not see any of our pages correctly.

200MB ? Is 100MB of that the chronic Christmas tune playing in September ?
    All comments herein are the responsibility of Lynda R. Farley, BAS/CS. Lynda has a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science from Florida Atlantic University, and was a Computer Programmer at IBM Corp. for almost 10 years, before 'retiring' to be a full time mother.

I can guess why "retiring" is in quotes! No-one wiht a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science (e.g. me!!!) would spout the ****e that she has listed on that page!

Advertisement