Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In two places at once?

Options
  • 26-07-2010 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

Hi, thought I'd describe husband's experience to see if anyone had possible explanations. About 2 months ago he was at home in the afternoon. He went into the hallway and saw his brother (who lives with us) locking the front door as we always do on entering. He asked his brother why he's home so early from college. His borther didn't respond. Then my husband went back into the kitchen because he thought he smelled his cooking burning. After turning off the gas he went back into the hall to talk to his brother but he wasn't there. He looked all over the house but couldn't find him. Assuming he had gone out again but puzzled as to why, he called him on his mobile. His brother answered the phone but said he was in lectures at that moment, and had never returned to the house let alone just a minute before.
    Now, my husband's brother left the house that morning before my husband got up so he would not have seen what his brother was wearing that morning but when he described what the figure he saw was wearing, it was the same as what his brother put on that morning, blue jeans, trainers, brown hooded fleece and carrying laptop bag. Husband was shocked. Just to rule out the possibility he went upstairs and asked our lodger if it was him who had come in but he said it wasn't, but that he had heard my husband talking to someone. Also, our daughter, 3and 1/2 was watching TV in sitting room in full view of front door and whenever her uncle comes in she immediatly jumps up and runs to him but on this occasion she made no move leading me to assume that whatever my husband saw was not visible to her.
    This event really spooked my husband and brother in law.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭a-k-47

is it the buddist monks that say the world is an illusion or something crazy?... spooky experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Possible explanations?

Your husband was sleepwalking?
    Your husband had a mini-stroke?
    Your husband had taken some medication?

Who knows, really not enough information to make any sort of judgement

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

ive heard of things like this happening in times of stress. was your borther in law doing exams or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭skepticalone

sounds bizzare alright , ill go one better , apparently I have been known to be in two places at once also , one occasion that comes to mind was on holiday in tunisia with friends , we were starved, spotted a nice looking italian and decided on a spot of dinner , went in was sitting at the table all of 5 mins when this waiter bounded over asked how i was attempted to hug me , was acting all familiar etc , we presumed he was a weirdo , anyway half way thru dinner he comes back , asks how ive been etc, at that point my friend is pissed off , thinks the guy is hitting on me, he proceeds to tell her that he knows me , im a good customer of the place , i ALWAYS sit at this very table and also always choose the same dish and drink , he even knew my silly quirk for eating dessert as a starter....the mind boggles , never met him before in my life.

another time comes to mind , i was working in a shop , a good customer comes in , i smile, ask how he is ... he glares at me and tells me im some bitch , excuse me??? apparently he recounted to me that he was in spar in raheny yesterday 8 am ish in the queue and i came in to pay for petrol, he said hello etc , i ignored him COMPLETELY he was taken aback as it didnt seem like my usual behaviour , I said , no, your mistaken , i was nowhere near raheny yesterday at that time , in fact i not even in dublin at the time , he said I know you long enough to know it most definately was you ....judging by the reaction he gave me I believe him , I have no explanation for this.indeed i was working shift work i know for sure i was fast asleep at that time , as would have been the usual scenario , another pal almost pissed herself at the idea i would be even awake at that hour of the morning , anyone who knows me would know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭razzler

maccored wrote: »
    ive heard of things like this happening in times of stress. was your borther in law doing exams or anything?

I've tried doing bit of research to find explanations and came accross some cases of projection of ones image when they have a strong desire to be somewhere else. Asked brother in law if he really really wanted to be in the house at that time and he said no, he was quite happy in lecture, no exams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭razzler

sounds bizzare alright , ill go one better , apparently I have been known to be in two places at once also , one occasion that comes to mind was on holiday in tunisia with friends , we were starved, spotted a nice looking italian and decided on a spot of dinner , went in was sitting at the table all of 5 mins when this waiter bounded over asked how i was attempted to hug me , was acting all familiar etc , we presumed he was a weirdo , anyway half way thru dinner he comes back , asks how ive been etc, at that point my friend is pissed off , thinks the guy is hitting on me, he proceeds to tell her that he knows me , im a good customer of the place , i ALWAYS sit at this very table and also always choose the same dish and drink , he even knew my silly quirk for eating dessert as a starter....the mind boggles , never met him before in my life.

another time comes to mind , i was working in a shop , a good customer comes in , i smile, ask how he is ... he glares at me and tells me im some bitch , excuse me??? apparently he recounted to me that he was in spar in raheny yesterday 8 am ish in the queue and i came in to pay for petrol, he said hello etc , i ignored him COMPLETELY he was taken aback as it didnt seem like my usual behaviour , I said , no, your mistaken , i was nowhere near raheny yesterday at that time , in fact i not even in dublin at the time , he said I know you long enough to know it most definately was you ....judging by the reaction he gave me I believe him , I have no explanation for this.

Your experiences brings to mind what I've read about dopplegangers, a person's double. They usually seem to be unresponsive as if they don't hear you which led me to look into another explanation. Maybe my husband saw a glimpse of a past or future event where a point in time overlapped with the present, a kind of replay of his brother coming into the house at another time.
    But your experiences are a lot more detailed and harder to explain with my above explanation. Your 'double' in the restaurant seems to have interacted with the waiter on many occasions.

Also, husband not on meds(and never did drugs) or crazy(no mental conditions) or sleepwalking, was daytime and he was up and dressed and has never hallucinated before.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭ballinue

My experience of people being in two different places at once, four members of our family
    were sitting watching TV in the sitting room just inside the door of our house when the heard the front door open and myself and my partner come into the hall, we have two dogs
    who will not allow any stranger into the house, they could hear the dogs greeting us as we
    came in and us telling the dogs to be quite and sit down, it seems we then continued to our room down the hall and they heard us close the door. they thought no more of it after that until next day and discovered we were not in the house at all.
    We had not returned to the house we stayed with friends on that particular night and did not return until next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

thats odd..
    ive always read and heard odd stories like this..

but not once have dogs greeted the 'person'

theyre usually the ones that dont even see anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

Happened upon this thread accidently and brought to mind similar experience - went shopping with husband and sister, husband went to toilet agreed to meet at the car in 10 minutes. Sister and me walking back to car see husband (bout 20/30 metres away) go to car look in see we weren`t there return into the shopping centre. I was cursing him cause I assumed he`d gone for a sneaky burger. He came out to the car I said "was de burger nice?" he said he didn`t have time to get one and I was like "saw you at the car before you went back in" took me ages to believe him but he was right he wouldn`t really have had time. I know my husband it was him - his clothes, walk, glasses on his head etc. Sister saw it too so I know I`m not mad.

Advertisement