Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotel Cancellation

Options
  • 26-07-2010 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

I booked a room in a hotel for next Saturday night but have to cancel the booking so I rang the hotel tonight and the duty manager tells me they have a one week cancellation policy. Is this legal and would I be able to challenge if they tried to charge my credit card I booked the room with? Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Yes its legal, as long as its in their terms and conditions then theres nothing you can do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

200pc fine as long as you booked the room more than a week ago. The distance selling regulation contains a statutory "xooling-off" period if you book online or by phone, or buy from a catalogue etc...but once you go past 7 days, all legal entitlement is gone.

You could cancel the Credit Card but you'd find they'd probably invoice you then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

I booked a room in a hotel for next Saturday night but have to cancel the booking so I rang the hotel tonight and the duty manager tells me they have a one week cancellation policy. Is this legal and would I be able to challenge if they tried to charge my credit card I booked the room with? Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Most hotels sell rooms at different prices depending on conditions attached.

Normal everyday rack rate = cancel anytime up to day of arrival at no cost. But this is the most expensive rate.

Discounted advance booked rooms, can have various conditions from zero cancellation though to 48hour cancellation. Depends on rate & T&Cs on the booking.

Distance selling rules don't apply to hotel rooms / travel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

sdonn wrote: »
    200pc fine as long as you booked the room more than a week ago. The distance selling regulation contains a statutory "xooling-off" period if you book online or by phone, or buy from a catalogue etc...but once you go past 7 days, all legal entitlement is gone.

You could cancel the Credit Card but you'd find they'd probably invoice you then.

Cooling off period doesn't apply to certain services and I'm fairly sure hotel rooms is one of those services that it doesn't apply to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

91011 wrote: »
    Most hotels sell rooms at different prices depending on conditions attached.

Normal everyday rack rate = cancel anytime up to day of arrival at no cost. But this is the most expensive rate.

Discounted advance booked rooms, can have various conditions from zero cancellation though to 48hour cancellation. Depends on rate & T&Cs on the booking.

Distance selling rules don't apply to hotel rooms / travel.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If the Hotel has a website, check out their T&Cs to see what the cancellation policy is. If it says it's 7 days, then that's that.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The booking you made should have Terms & Conditions attached. Review the section on cancellation policies.

If they don't clearly display their cancellation policy, then you may have some comeback.

I learned this lesson the hard way many years ago when I was a student and now I NEVER EVER book a hotel without reviewing the cancellation policy and making sure that it has no nasty surprises for me.

Advertisement