Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby pool seat

Options
  • 26-07-2010 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hiya,

Does anyone know where I could get a baby pool seat, one that little fella can sit in safely and splash about? Didn't find them in Smyths or Boots. He is 17 months but still not walking, only starting coasting now plus he wriggles a lot so would need something he can sit in that's secure almost like a high chair, I suppose. I saw someone with one a few years ago when on hols and thought it was a great idea.

Thanks!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭tscul32

would you consider just using armbands? I used baby seats on my two but only up to about 8 or 9 mths, after that it was armbands. I was in the pool with my friend and her 12 month old was in a seat and he leaned over and ended up upside down in the water, was in armbands for the next visit. I think especially if he's a wriggler there's more chance of him capsizing if he tries to lean out to touch the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

G00469_M.jpg

They have them in Ken blacks and Smyths, go to toys.ie and you can check store availability. They are 14.99. As for capsizing in them, i wouldnt be leaving them unattended in it, so this wouldnt be an issue, i just pull him along in it. The 12-24 month one has a backrest type thing in it also. One pictured is for 6-12 months. Out local pool actually have one or two of these in the store with the armbands so always worth asking if you dont want to buy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I think the seats are more suited to younger kids, we used one when ours was 3 months old, at 1 I wouldnt dream of using it with her.

She capsized in a ring and couldnt get up, her cousin had to pull her out, and I was right beside her, turned my head to wipe my eyes.

The best thing I have ever bought for my kids is a blow up swim suit, the eldest had it and its now been passed onto the younger one, no chance of overturning, she just floats and floats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Whats a blow up swim suit? Is it like the one with the floats in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

gogo wrote: »
    Whats a blow up swim suit? Is it like the one with the floats in it?

Very similar but its actually a blow up. Best purchase ever, cost me €15 in Heatons a few years back. Its like a short wet suit but it has 2 pockets, one front one back which hold the inflatable, they cant be removed. I have used the blow up waist coats before but I find as there is more inflatable on teh back they push the head forward into the water. I havent tried the ones with the floats in them, could be good, its pretty much the same idea as those. I'd just be nervous trying the waistcoats with floats considering the experience with the inflatable waistcoats.

I actually only used the blow up one again last week, honestly, i have a wild child, she would do a running jump into the pool and there is no stopping her, at least with this suit I know she will always come back to the top, she loves it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭tobytobe

I think the seats are more suited to younger kids, we used one when ours was 3 months old, at 1 I wouldnt dream of using it with her.

She capsized in a ring and couldnt get up, her cousin had to pull her out, and I was right beside her, turned my head to wipe my eyes.

The best thing I have ever bought for my kids is a blow up swim suit, the eldest had it and its now been passed onto the younger one, no chance of overturning, she just floats and floats.

Oh God! Ok, so he's probably too old and wriggly for the seat then. I have a suit with inflatables in it and have a body jacket that inflates too. He's is into everything right now so this is a real help to know that maybe he's too old for the seat. I think I will stick to the arm bands and suit etc.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

I lifeguarded and taught swimming for years when I was in college. I hate those rings that you sit the child in, they topple really easily and the position is completely unlike that for swimming. The suits with the bouyancy all around are great as they leave the child's arms free to move about, as they get stronger in the water you can gradually remove the bouyancy as they learn to float themselves. It will take the child a little while to learn to lift their head (if there is too much bouyancy in the back it will push them forward too).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭tscul32

They definitely love the freedom to move about on their own, I couldn't keep mine in my arms once they got the armbands on.
    And the child who capsized hadn't been left 'unattended', his mam just wasn't physically holding the seat at the time, all it takes is a split second for them to lean out to touch the water. In those seats their feet are in the water alright but their hands aren't.
    Swimming is great for the little ones though, get them in young enough and you never have the 'fear of water' phase cos they've never known life without it. My 2 year old's favourite game at the moment is taking off the armbands and getting me to pull him down to the bottom of the pool and letting go so that he can swim back up. It looks really cool too if you watch him from underneath. All the better if I've left a pair of goggles or something on the bottom for him to pick up.

I lifeguarded and taught swimming for years when I was in college. I hate those rings that you sit the child in, they topple really easily and the position is completely unlike that for swimming. The suits with the bouyancy all around are great as they leave the child's arms free to move about, as they get stronger in the water you can gradually remove the bouyancy as they learn to float themselves. It will take the child a little while to learn to lift their head (if there is too much bouyancy in the back it will push them forward too).

This is really helpful lonestargirl, thank you. Truth is, I am not the most confident in the water and I don't want to pass that on to him, I want him to be totally confident. My instinct as first time mommy was to go easy on him with the seat thing but what everyone else has said makes sense. Do you have any more tips you can give me for making him at ease in the water and the best aids to use? I have a Floaties suit with inflatable pads and I was going to get a boyancy jacket and armbands. Also, my mum is coming with us and I want to reassure her too that what I am doing is ok as she's even worse in water than I am and is already fretting about her "little prince" as if I'd just chuck him in and let him fend for himself or something! So if I can tell her I got advice from a lifeguard it might keep her quiet! :o

Thanks a mill!

e

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I've always wanted to try junior out in his life jacket

If he roles onto his stomach, the buoyancy will roll him over again and his head can't go under.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

tobytobe wrote: »
    Truth is, I am not the most confident in the water and I don't want to pass that on to him, I want him to be totally confident. My instinct as first time mommy was to go easy on him with the seat thing but what everyone else has said makes sense. Do you have any more tips you can give me for making him at ease in the water and the best aids to use? I have a Floaties suit with inflatable pads and I was going to get a boyancy jacket and armbands.

I think he should be fine with either the Floaties suit or the bouyancy jacket, these work fine without armbands and his arms will be free to move around splash etc. You are correct to be conscious of not passing your fear onto him, try to relax yourself as much as possible. For the first time I would advise holding him loosely initially as then take your cues from him, don't do anything drastic and try and keep him away from older kids who might splash him until he gets used to it.

Sit him on the side and count 1,2,3, jump and then lift him into your arms, he will get used to expecting to go into the pool after the word 'jump' and as he gets more comfortable you can encourage him to use his feet to push on the wall at the cue 'jump'. As he gets more comfortable he can progress to jumping from standing.

Squirty toys are great, but keep them away from his face so he doesn't get frightened. If you stand behind him holding him under his arms you can encourage him to lie on his back and make splashes with his feet, just make sure he can hear/see you so he doesn't get a fright.

At his age the primary focus is getting him used to and comfortable in the water which will make it easier for him to learn to swim as he gets older.

I think he should be fine with either the Floaties suit or the bouyancy jacket, these work fine without armbands and his arms will be free to move around splash etc. You are correct to be conscious of not passing your fear onto him, try to relax yourself as much as possible. For the first time I would advise holding him loosely initially as then take your cues from him, don't do anything drastic and try and keep him away from older kids who might splash him until he gets used to it.

Sit him on the side and count 1,2,3, jump and then lift him into your arms, he will get used to expecting to go into the pool after the word 'jump' and as he gets more comfortable you can encourage him to use his feet to push on the wall at the cue 'jump'. As he gets more comfortable he can progress to jumping from standing.

Squirty toys are great, but keep them away from his face so he doesn't get frightened. If you stand behind him holding him under his arms you can encourage him to lie on his back and make splashes with his feet, just make sure he can hear/see you so he doesn't get a fright.

At his age the primary focus is getting him used to and comfortable in the water which will make it easier for him to learn to swim as he gets older.

That's great. Thanks so much for the advice :)

Advertisement