Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

buying an xbox... tips??

• 26-07-2010 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

the girlfriend is buying me an xbox for me birthday but she or i dont really know what to get. i dont have wirless broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭suckmyloli

Hi ya!

Ok, I think the only Xbox you'll find (new that is) will probably be the elite or slim. The difference is it has more space than the original Xbox 360s and I think it was meant to have less problems, (the older Xbox 360 consoles often got “red rings” problems).

I got mine in HMV back in January as they were doing a great deal at the time. Xbox 360 elite with 2 wireless controllers and 2 games for €208 which is a very good deal. I suggest shopping around ‘cos there are good bargains to be had. Of course now there is the Xbox slim which is retailing at the same price as the elite (about €250), the only real difference (from what I can see) is that yes course it is slimmer but it has Wi Fi and a larger hard drive (250 Gb I think). The elite will perform just as good as the slim and you'll probably get a better price.

You mentioned you don't have Wi Fi broadband. No problem all Xbox 360 consoles can be connected directly to your modem using an Ethernet cable. Hope this helps as at all :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

The 360 Slim is built to be cooler and quieter when running, its smaller is size and a 250GB hard drive. It has more usb ports and has a built in AUX port for the Kinect motion device.

Right now there are loads of bundles going with it aswell so she may aswell go for the Xbox slim now when its out and there is good value to be had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Where is the best place offering a price on the slim with a trade in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭suckmyloli

When I asked around it was Game. I think it was €100 cash or €80 for trade in or the otherway around can''t quite remember :S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,911 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

From the sounds of things i think an Elite will be more than enough for you. The only difference between it and the new slim is 130GB of space and a Wi-Fi adaptor built in since you have no wireless you will need to be wired up anyway.

Check advert.ie / the gameshops for a 2nd hand elite should get one for around the 150euro mark now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭punk77

Best option is used 2009/10 elite.
    Saves 100e and leaves you more
    money to spend on games.Its all
    about the games.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭balfe1990

Some fella was sellin a brand new Slim with the game Blur and two extra controllers for like 220€ on adverts.ie so have a poke about there...

balfe1990 wrote: »
    Some fella was sellin a brand new Slim with the game Blur and two extra controllers for like 220€ on adverts.ie so have a poke about there...

It wasn't a Slim.It was a Super Elite 250GB for 175e and it was gone within an hour.Bargain.Said he only bought it a few weeks ago then decided to buy a Slim.Beats me.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭balfe1990

punk77 wrote: »
    It wasn't a Slim.It was a Super Elite 250GB for 175e and it was gone within an hour.Bargain.Said he only bought it a few weeks ago then decided to buy a Slim.Beats me.

No it was defo a Slim...
    Thats an absolute steal if ye ask me.

Sorry Balfe.Bit of a mix up:o Was only reading ads from Galway.Nice deal for someone. He musta bought on spur of moment. The Super Elite deal for 175E in Galway was also nice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

punk77 wrote: »
    Nice deal for someone. He musta bought on spur of moment.

And then realised the rent was due or something :D

calex71 wrote: »
    And then realised the rent was due or something :D

Or his missus didn't like the colour of it:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

It's good you don't have wireless, anyone gaming who isn't completely wired up should be kicked. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭robbeardsley

amacachi wrote: »
    It's good you don't have wireless, anyone gaming who isn't completely wired up should be kicked. :pac:

I play wirelessly most of the team, ands never have any problems.

Advertisement