Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Dog not taking to new pup

Options
  • 26-07-2010 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi,

I have a Scottish terrier and she is generally very secure around other dogs.

Recently, I got a beagle pup and introduced them two outside the home on leads, walked them together and then let them play around together.

The pup wanted to sniff the older dog and interact but the older dog has no interest at all.

When we brought both to the home the puppy settled in very quickly and tries to sleep in with the older dog but she just gets out of her bed straight away.

It seems the older dog is intimidated by the new pup and is being bullied by him. She doesn't seem to be standing up for herself at all.

Any ideas?

Robbie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Unless you feel the older dog is really getting shoved around then I'd just leave them at it to figure out their own relationship.

If you're worried about the older dog then I'd correct the puppy if he gets too boisterous. What I'd do is make a loud 'no' or 'ah' sound, and put the puppy out of the room for a minute or so. That way he learns what's acceptable play and what's not. The unacceptable play results in the game being over and him being on his own for a small while, puppies hate being on their own so he'll learn quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Bearpup

We also had the same problem when we got a new pup... We have a 2 yr old rescue female german shep- and decided to get a female german wire haired pointer. When we got the pup initially, Bonnie our GS was quite put out... she didnt seem herself at all for the first few weeks- would rather be on her own, if pup went over to her bonnie would move away etc, didnt come looking for cuddles etc.

We just made sure to give bonnie the same amount of attention she got before pup arrived (lots!). Couple of weeks later and they are now the best of friends... I now think bonnie would miss her like crazy if pup wasnt around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

Same thing happened to us a few years back when we got our 2nd dog. The older dog would keep as far away from the new pup as possible; had no time for him at all.

This went on for a couple of weeks. That was about 7 years ago. They're inseparable these days. Never apart. They also give each other a lot of 'loving' when left alone out the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

How long since you got the pup?

We got our second dog after have our Yorkie nearly 2 years, he was 5 when we got him so not a pup but they ignored each other for at least 2 weeks, seriously just pretended the other wasnt there. They slowly started to play/lick each other and are now the best of friends.

We didnt leave them alone at night/when we went to work together until we were more sure of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 EDude

Had the same problem, with two dogs of the same breed even! I discovered it was jealousy, the older dog was used to being the "only child", being spoilt etc etc

Give it time :)

just like steviecakes's dogs my two are now inseparable :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

I was just reading something on this earlier.Here is the link hope it helps.
    http://helpwithpettraining.com/introducing-older-dog-to-new-puppy.php

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

My two were like that at the start, and the older fella still doesn't like sharing a bed with the younger one!

They seem to just enjoy their own space, they come together and play but then go off and sleep in their own little areas.

They eventually found what worked for them and now they're the best of friends.

Advertisement