Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobs in Belfast

Options
  • 26-07-2010 11:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hey, I'm in my early 20's and I'm moving up to Belfast to start Uni in September. I worked in the same retail job for the past 5 years down south and saved a good bit from that, but left it over a month ago to move up here thinking I'd find something fairly quickly (absolutely idiotic I know!). I'm staying between my gf's flat up here, and my parent's house down South and have applied for every job (whether it suits me or not, and whether I'm qualified for it or not) that has been advertised on the jobsites up here.

I have handed in CVs to as many retail shops and bars that will take them from me(many far outside the city including Holywood and Lisburn). I have also posted dozens AND dozens of speculative CVs to many shops, off-licences, supermarkets, bars, restaurants etc.. I started applying for jobs 3 weeks before I left my previous employment so have been trying consistently for 2 months altogether now. My CV is good, I have lots of relevant experience for the jobs I'm applying for and I have excellent references.. yet I haven't received any offers of an interview even. I don't know where I'm going wrong to be honest.

It's nearly the end of July, and I have about a month to find a job. I don't qualify for a grant, and I absolutely cannot depend on my parents for support either. If I don't find a job before September, I won't be able to stay up there and support myself through college. I'm basically ****ting myself and feel like I made a mistake leaving my job :(

I'm just wondering does anybody have any advice on where to look for jobs going in Belfast? It's been 5 years since I had to look for a job, and it's changed a lot since then..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Are you using your gf's address on the apps?

I got all my p/t jobs through jobcentreonline.com, found it miles better than FÁS ever was back home. Other than that nijobs.com, the Belfast Telegraph on Tuesdays and Thursdays and loadzajobs.co.uk

Are you going to UU or QUB? They both have careers offices that'll have info on all the internal jobs once the term starts. My old housemate worked in retail and it took her ages to get something but she made it eventually :)

Advertisement