Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Premature Ventricular Contractions

Options
  • 27-07-2010 12:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭

I've recently (yesterday) been diagnosed as having Premature Ventricular Contractions, which feels like my heart skips a beat every now and then. I'm due for a 24hr Holter monitor in the next few weeks. I also find my heart thumping very hard sometimes (now, for instance!) but the rate is fine. I was born with a congenital heart defect that was fixed by surgery but that's not relevant to this problem really.

Anyone else out there with the same or similar problems? I know the two things are fairly normal and not life threatening, but a little bit of reassurance would be nice! I know it's not an 'illness' but I can't think of anywhere else to ask!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Do you suffer from anxiety?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

skelliser wrote: »
    Do you suffer from anxiety?

Yes, I do - low-level stuff, but it's there. My stress levels have been constant for a while now - a fair bit longer that I've have the PVCs (5 months).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

well thats probably the most likely cause. but im no doctor!

I take it your doctor has done a full check up including a ecg and im sure everything was found to be fine?

Do you find yourself overly thinking about them or anticipating one?
    or feeling conscious of your heart, running upstairs etc.?

Ive suffered from them in the past and i know how scary they are, had the holter monitor done. The consultant looked at it and said everything was normal. Then he proceeded to ask about stress levels and drinking. Both will increase palpatations.

I know its probably the last thing you want to hear but exercise will help, it will reduce your stress levels and be good for your heart and general health.

Also have a read of this, kinda explains the science behind them.
    http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/palpitations/

This part was particularly comforting for me:
    an easier example is when you have 2 drummers. One beats a steady beat , occasionally changing cadence to go faster or slower but the beat remains steady - This is your SA node . The second drummer is easily excitable and occasionally in a piece where he should remain silent he cannot resist throwing in the odd beat - an ectopic beat stimulated from the muscle wall. In no way does this drummer affect the steady one who will continue his rhythm regardless of what his colleague is doing.

and here
    Ectopics are common findings in persons with otherwise normal hearts, in which case the prognosis is excellent and there is no decrease at all in life expectancy and these, even when sustained, do not lead to any increased risk of cardiac disease or dysrhythmias in later life

There is absolutely no correlation between skipped beats and increased risk of a heart attack.

Advertisement