Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McGreals

Options
  • 27-07-2010 8:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭

any one know whats the story here - been closed for the last few weeks now - with a sign outside saying shop closed today sorry for any inconvience.

is it shut for good ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

The person who was running it has shut it for good. Thats not to say somebody else wont open it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

It's gone alright
    Madden Supermarket Ltd,
    T/A McGreals
    1 Ballybrit Court, Ballybrit

9 July, 2010. In liquidation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭baldshin

The original owner has taken over it and will be re opening it again,not sure when though.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Eman Resu

Well the longer it stays closed the more of it's customer base will start to rely on dunnes/lidl in the area, and the harder it will be to rebuild it's customer base.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Mike McGreal may be reluctant to reopen himself. He bought the old Comer factory across the road with a view to rebuilding it as a supermarket, then Dunnes & Lidl arrived nearby. Whether he sees reopening the smaller shop as viable is anyones guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Eman Resu wrote: »
    Well the longer it stays closed the more of it's customer base will start to rely on dunnes/lidl in the area, and the harder it will be to rebuild it's customer base.

tbh, when I lived really near it I still relied on Dunnes/Lidl and only went to McGreals when I was pressed for time or lazy or I wanted the Sunday paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Xiney wrote: »
    tbh, when I lived really near it I still relied on Dunnes/Lidl and only went to McGreals when I was pressed for time or lazy or I wanted the Sunday paper.
    No more than the shop at the junction of the old Ballybrit Road and the Doughiska Road, it doesn't stand a chance with larger and cheaper operation close by.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Coynes has always been an anomaly, it was only a vehicle with which Coynes two daughters could be kept busy and didn't ever look busy and this was long before Dunnes or houses arrived.

I think Coynes should be turned into petrol pumps... but that junction is such a mess (why!? why was it ever given planning permission to go ahead like that!?) that it would probably cripple all traffic in the surrounding quarter mile....

too bad because it'd be handily placed.

That junction is there for decades, it's the road beside the clayton and the roundanout that is new

• Advertisement

That junction is there for decades, it's the road beside the clayton and the roundanout that is new

well, it should have been obvious when they were giving planning permission to the massive fecking Dunnes that they should have let Doughiska come to a T with the main Monivea road rather than sticking with the original set up which is a huge bottleneck.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The goods entrance for Dunnes is kinda new, and the source of many problems.

Th only problem I can envisage for the goods entrance is non goods vehicles using it or parking in the way

• Registered Users Posts: 18,588 ✭✭✭✭kippy

There was another thread on this a few weeks ago.
    It is a pity to see McGreals close up. I've lived over the road from it for the past 4 and a half years. Dunnes and Lidl weren't always there and I used it a good bit for bits and pieces between the regular weekly shop. Always found the staff sound out and the butchers there was as good as any around the place. Always tried to come up with new ways of selling the produce and new serving suggestions.
    As I said, pity to see it go, to be honest it would be extremely difficult to compete with Dunnes and Lidl but a bigger factor was the drying up of the breakfast roll market, the builders. Once the recession hit the morning traffic in the place went a lot lower and that ultimately as well as the other shops in the area killed the place.
    I hope the staff manage to get new jobs elsewhere.

Re the dunnes acces roads...........
    Absolute disgrace, that whole area. I cant believe Dunnes were given access onto the monivea road.
    Very little thought gone into the four junctions around that corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

kippy wrote: »
    Re the dunnes acces roads...........
    Absolute disgrace, that whole area. I cant believe Dunnes were given access onto the monivea road.
    Very little thought gone into the four junctions around that corner.

Mulryan wanted to put a petrol station across the road in the site between the Clayton and the Roundabout. Imagine the grief if he got that. Thanks God he didn't.

sgthighway wrote: »
    Mulryan wanted to put a petrol station across the road in the site between the Clayton and the Roundabout. Imagine the grief if he got that. Thanks God he didn't.

Thank God as right!

Th only problem I can envisage for the goods entrance is non goods vehicles using it or parking in the way

How do you think the massive wagons that are delivering stuff to Dunnes get from the end of the motorway to that goods entrance? Travel the whole length of Doughiska Rd (better now that it's been finished, a nightmare while there was still a very narrow bridge at the end - but still a LOT of residential area to go thru)? Or turn the tight corners to go in from the top end of the road?

JustMary wrote: »
    How do you think the massive wagons that are delivering stuff to Dunnes get from the end of the motorway to that goods entrance? Travel the whole length of Doughiska Rd (better now that it's been finished, a nightmare while there was still a very narrow bridge at the end - but still a LOT of residential area to go thru)? Or turn the tight corners to go in from the top end of the road?
    I have driven an arctic so know all about them. There's a lot worse places we have to get into than Dunnes, it wouldn't be any trouble for a driver. What have residential areas got to do it or are trucks not supposed to drive near a house, as long as there's a road a truck can use it.

I have driven an arctic so know all about them. There's a lot worse places we have to get into than Dunnes, it wouldn't be any trouble for a driver. What have residential areas got to do it or are trucks not supposed to drive near a house, as long as there's a road a truck can use it.

Sure, they CAN get in. But it takes a bit of time, and while they're making the turn the rest of the traffic has to stop and wait.

And yes, ideally large truck movements through residential areas (where fast-moving, scatty, small children play) should be minimised.

• Advertisement

There's more than Dunnes, there's Lidl and a couple of other warehouses down that road. These by the way have been there a long time before the houses were ever there and the trucks have always been down that road. People can't just come into an area and expect to change it to suit themselves, they should think of this before move into a place before hand.

Ideally the planners have a lot of say in the matter but if you buy or rent beside an Industrial park you have to expect more than donkeys and carts on the roads. I remember when was nothing but fields where all the estates are now.

There's more than Dunnes, there's Lidl and a couple of other warehouses down that road. These by the way have been there a long time before the houses were ever there and the trucks have always been down that road. People can't just come into an area and expect to change it to suit themselves, they should think of this before move into a place before hand.

Ideally the planners have a lot of say in the matter but if you buy or rent beside an Industrial park you have to expect more than donkeys and carts on the roads. I remember when was nothing but fields where all the estates are now.

Dunnes and Lidl are there less than 3 years...........most of the houses in that area were there before them........but I agree with your summation.

What about the ware houses on the way into Lidl and the ones before that as well, My point is there was trucks always using that road well before there was any estates built there not just Dunnes and Lidl.

my original point was that Dunnes should never have gotten planning for its entrance where it is, and the way it keeps the junction between the monivea road and the doughiska road so awkward. I know it's been like that for generations, but the point is that when more traffic was going to happen, they should have changed it so that it made more sense.

The fact that Dunnes faces away from the community it serves is also annoying.

Xiney wrote: »
    my original point was that Dunnes should never have gotten planning for its entrance where it is, and the way it keeps the junction between the monivea road and the doughiska road so awkward. I know it's been like that for generations, but the point is that when more traffic was going to happen, they should have changed it so that it made more sense.

The fact that Dunnes faces away from the community it serves is also annoying.
    If we had proper planning city and county wise we wouldn't only now be building a school in Doughiska (a temp one at that for now) after a couple of hundred houses are built. Thats a bitchin for another day though

Come on now, it wasn't built for Doughiska alone, a lot bigger trade will be derived from the people that drive past it on the way to and from work (Athenry, Craughwell, Loughtea, Ballinasloe, Clarinbrifge, Gort) and there'a also all of Ballybane, mervue etc

Come on now, it wasn't built for Doughiska alone, a lot bigger trade will be derived from the people that drive past it on the way to and from work (Athenry, Craughwell, Loughtea, Ballinasloe, Clarinbrifge, Gort) and there'a also all of Ballybane, mervue etc

yes, I know... but these would have to drive to it anyway. Putting it facing away like that makes the walking journey longer than it has to be - which isn't so bad on your way there but sucks balls on your way back, lugging all your bags.

Ballybane & Mervue are in the same direction as Doughiska.

Can you not walk out the goods entrance or does that be locked at certain times.

They're going to have the front of the building facing the main road not the back. It was built for East Galway city and county, Doughiska is only a blip on that map. Would you want to look at Doughiska??

Only joking, I know you live there

actually I live in Ballybrit, not Doughiska ;)

If we had proper planning city and county wise we wouldn't only now be building a school in Doughiska (a temp one at that for now) after a couple of hundred houses are built.

More like a couple of thousand than hundred: the population of Doughiska, Roscam and Aradaun went from approx 200 in 2000 to 7300 in 2009.

• Advertisement
Advertisement