Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the best factory .223?

Options
  • 27-07-2010 8:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭

All,

What would you recommend as the most accurate factory .223? I have a Remington and am considering a change. Most of my shooting is targets with the occassional bit of hunting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

its hard to beat a t3 tactical

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

leupold90 wrote: »
    All,

What would you recommend as the most accurate factory .223? I have a Remington and am considering a change. Most of my shooting is targets with the occassional bit of hunting.

i have to agree with jonty. i have a tikka t3 tactical and i have shot it out to 500y with great results.
    it comes with a 20" or 24" barrel my one is the 20" version and i use it hunting and i like the short barrel for maneuverability.:D
    if you were just target shooting then the 24" one might suit you better;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

Savage LRPV in .223 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Rosahane

T3 Tactical with the 24 inch barrel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

+1 on the Savage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I'd probably go with the long barreled T3 Tactical as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

What kind of money is the lrpv? (In Ireland) Lovely looking varminter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

All,

Factory Accuracy is a relative question.

Factory ammo for a .223 is normally below 60 grains, however in comps fellas would be using heavier stuff.

Some of the boys say a 24" barrel. My VSSF II has a 26" barrel (soon to be 28" lol" )

Anschutz have a .223 on the market.
    If it is anyway as good as their .22lrs it will be great

To be specific you need to givwe more criteria to get a more qualified answer.

popup.cfm?id=100103376&num=2&pic=100103376-2-L.JPG&CFID=573314&CFTOKEN=cf54b6b96e5f6740-14479B99-A2ED-DC0F-2B9457BD0A0BCDA9

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

The CZ 527 with H&S stock is a very accurate rifle. However through my own experience and that of those who own one it has a somewhat long bedding in time to be fully accurate with all ammo. Now thats brands as oppose to grainage.

If you are looking for out of the box, immediate accuracy then by all accounts the Tikka is the way to go. Having seen only one Savage in .223 recently i cannot comment much on them, but going by their .308 rifles i would imagine it could match/rival the Tikka.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Yeah I forgot about the CZ 527, a good few lads here swear by them

• Advertisement

http://www.snipercentral.com/tpg1.htm

Factory .223 Unique Alpine MADE IN BAVARIA

http://www.unique-alpine.eu/

Serious OUT OF THE BOX accuracy

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Yeah, but a serious out of the box price tag aswell i'd say?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

ezridax wrote: »
    Yeah, but a serious out of the box price tag aswell i'd say?

Thats why I told the OP to be specific :D:D:D

Factory rifle is a loose Term

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭leupold90

What about Sako?

Regarding the Tikka, will it handle 55gr or does it prefer heavier rounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭.243

if money is no object,the new anchutz in .223

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

What about Sako?

Regarding the Tikka, will it handle 55gr or does it prefer heavier rounds?

depends on the twist rate of the barrel
    my tactical with a 1:8 twist will take up to 70 gr or so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

endasmail wrote: »
    depends on the twist rate of the barrel
    my tactical with a 1:8 twist will take up to 70 gr or so

they love the 75gr hornady HPBT match. i was shooting them today out to 500 as well as 55gr hornady v-max.
    both work very well and my one is only the 20" version ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭customrifle

Tikka all the way is best off the shelf in most calibers not just 223. Ive owned a 24" tactical in 223 and a super varmint in 6.5x55 that were amazingly accurate. Actually regret gettin rid of 6.5 as it was freekishly good with factory ammo it was not far behind some custom built rifles. A custom built rifle will shave that 1/2"-1" out at distace but for an affordable factory rifle you will not go wrong with the tikkas and the robertson stock that availabe for them now is a huge improvement over the factory one and dont think its big money. However i love my remys but they had to be made shoot as well as they do

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭DR6.5

Id cant recomend tikka enough, bought a T3 lite 25.06 with 20" barrell, i was out the weekend shooting clays out to 400 yards, was using 90 grain hollow points.

you wont be dissapointed with a Tikka.

dr6.5

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭virminhunter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0Otf4gB5Uwtikka varmint, i love this video...:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0Otf4gB5Uwtikka varmint, i love this video...:D
    Thats fair shootin never mind headshots at 400..

Advertisement