Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Started with Patches - Stick with Patches??

Options
  • 27-07-2010 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I tried to stop smoking going cold turkey last monday morning (19/07/10) and by 11am I had gone to the shop and bought smokes. So I stopped again Friday morning with the help of nicotine patches and I am currently on day 5 without the dreaded smokes - doing ok so far - had a tough day on Sunday but otherwise I've been pleasantly surprised.:D
    I've just been reading through the posts in this forum over the last few days and it seems that alot of you are not in favour of the patches - I can totally understand this as I am still taking nicotine into my system instead of totally withdrawing!! So my question is do you think I should now stop with the patch treatment and go cold turkey the rest of the way or stick with the 12 weeks patch programme seen as I started it?? I don't know what to do:confused:

Thanks for any advise in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭judas1369

Do what you think is best for you! After all you know yourself better than anyone else, just bear in mind that they are supposed to be a support or crutch and NOT a substitute for cigarettes.
    You will probably know yourself when to wean off the patches and it will still be difficult for a few days as to get off the addiction ultimately you gotta get nicotine out of your system. There is no easy call on this, it will take the average 3 days to achieve this.
    So if the patches work for you in developing your resolve to quit - by all means use them but in my opinion based on my experience you are only delaying the inevitable period where you DO have to go cold turkey to rid your body of the physical presence of nicotine. Anyway good luck with your quit!

Advertisement