Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another one free!

Options
  • 27-07-2010 9:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I've been reading in this forum for a while, but my first post.

It's my first morning on the road away from nicotine! I'm at a ridiculously early stage, but feeling really happy to be giving up. Other times I've tried, I've just felt miserable and looked for reasons to pick another one up.

This time I'm hopeful will be the time I don't pick another up! I'm just going to try and get on with it. Hopeeully I can keep in this frame of mind.

I've been reading Allen Carrs book, on recommendation of some posters here, and found it excellent. I was really excited to be smoking my last cigarette last night.

Roll on the rest of today - and let me beat this ! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭NavanEPS

Keep it going! and well done for making the RIGHT decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Hi Folks,

I've been reading in this forum for a while, but my first post.

It's my first morning on the road away from nicotine! I'm at a ridiculously early stage, but feeling really happy to be giving up. Other times I've tried, I've just felt miserable and looked for reasons to pick another one up.

This time I'm hopeful will be the time I don't pick another up! I'm just going to try and get on with it. Hopeeully I can keep in this frame of mind.

I've been reading Allen Carrs book, on recommendation of some posters here, and found it excellent. I was really excited to be smoking my last cigarette last night.

Roll on the rest of today - and let me beat this ! :D

If you've been reading Allan Carr then you already have beaten it. That's his 'secret' weapon - letting you continue smoking whilst he de-programmes your mind.

You'll no doubt have heard of the biblical expression "the truth shall set you free"? Well that's not confined to issue of religion - any truth apprehended will set you free from any lie. Some folk end the book not really having got the message, not really getting the truth - and thereby not being freed by the truth. I don't know of anyone who gets it (and you appear to have got it) who wasn't freed.

You are now one of the elite: you know things that even psychologists and scientists dealing in the area of addiction don't know - you know the truth about cigarette smoking: why/how/when. And because of that you are now free.

Enjoy the feeling of freedom whilst it lasts - all you've to look forward to a life where you just aren't bothered about/concerned with/thinking about smoking. A life where it's simply irrelevant.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭judas1369

You come across as having the right mind set to make it happen, one of the best calls you can make, anyway best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Daisy Steiner

Yep best of luck op. Out of interest, how long have you been smoking? Would you consider yourself a heavy smoker?

This forum is tip-top for moral support and knowing that while it's all down to you whether you kick the habit, there are plenty of people here who are in the same boat!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Thanks Guys. I found day one pretty good. Maybe a little too good! I've a feeling it won't be that easy all the time. I'm just going to try my best to stick to it.
    Yep best of luck op. Out of interest, how long have you been smoking? Would you consider yourself a heavy smoker?

Hi Daisy! I believe you're doing the same at the moment - best of luck! I had been smoking about 17-20 on a normal day. Smoking for about 12 years. I'm 26 now. I've had plenty of kicks up the arse by seeing loved ones die of smoking related diseases etc. but I never gave quitting 100% until now. So hopefully it's the time!

Day two is going pretty good so far too ! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Hi Guys,

I am delighted to report that I'm off them a week now. It has been a LOT easier than I thought it would be. I'm sure there are people lurking here, reading peoples stories (just like I did) and thinking - this guy is full of s***, trying to tell everyone how easy it is, just because he managed it. I can tell you I thought 100% the same thing. I never thought I'd get through a week without smoking, but I have, and found it relatively easy!

I found day four pretty tough for some reason, and have some very strong cravings. I know it's still early days, but I'm bloody happy to be off them a week!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Hi Guys,

I am delighted to report that I'm off them a week now. It has been a LOT easier than I thought it would be. I'm sure there are people lurking here, reading peoples stories (just like I did) and thinking - this guy is full of s***, trying to tell everyone how easy it is, just because he managed it. I can tell you I thought 100% the same thing. I never thought I'd get through a week without smoking, but I have, and found it relatively easy!

I found day four pretty tough for some reason, and have some very strong cravings. I know it's still early days, but I'm bloody happy to be off them a week!

Congrats!

You will have more days like day four in the coming few weeks, I'm still getting them occasionally, and I'm on week 4. Now you know you can get passed it though with a little will power. So keep it up!

Good job!

Advertisement