Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to address a Vet?

Options
  • 27-07-2010 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

This might sound like a really dumb question, but how do you address a Vet?

When I leave a doctor's surgery, I say "thank you, Doctor".

And I always say "thank you, Doctor" to a Vet, too, but a new Vet (as in, new to me, he was in his 50s) gave me a funny look the other day when I said it. I know they're a 'Doctor of Veterinary Medicine', but do they use that term? Am I wrong?!?

And yes, he was a Vet, not a Veterinary Nurse. Actually, on that note, how do you address a VN? Thank you, Nurse?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,938 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Your Vetness, although i do believe that they get quite funny if the Bow/Courtsy is done incorrectly

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I call mine Bairbre :D

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭teacherspet

Thank you o purse emptier

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Id just call them by their first name if you're a regular client or "Thanks Mr.Smith" if not.

"Technically" you can only be called Doctor if you have a PhD (doctorate) in Ireland which alot of vets and doctors dont have. The degree is followed by the letters MVB (Bachelor of Vet Medicine). In America they have DVM (Doctor of Vet Medicine).

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭blondie7

just call them by there name, or else a simple "thank you" will do. The days of addressing people by a title are dead in this country. Our local priests refuse to be called Father and want to be called by there first names now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

On topic: Usually I'd say Doctor - I could not say if it is correct, but it shows respect to someone who has aided a valued pet.
    I disagree about the titles in general. They denote a respect for a position earnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Paulyh

you could always ask him in conversation??
    maybe he will say that he just prefers you call him by name. i am not a doctor/ vet but would hate to be adressed that way if i were. Informal is much more friendly and personnal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

First name or "the young fella"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I call my vet by her first name. Even with other vets that I don't know well I'd call them by their first names, or if I'd just met them I'd probably just not call them anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭variety

Thanks for all the replies, folks. Patricularly like teacherspet's one! :D

I might clarify - I call them by their names (both vets and doctors) throughout the consultation, and it's only as I'm leaving that I address them formally. I agree formality all the way through can get a bit uncomfortable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

I can mine Mark, but I also refer to him as 'your richness' which seem entirely appropriate considering how much money I have paid him over the years. Stupid expensive old cats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭uppishhauk

generally i avoid using titles doctor, sir etc
    but if i had to i'd say doc to a vet if i didn't know their name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭rubensni

anniehoo wrote: »
    Id just call them by their first name if you're a regular client or "Thanks Mr.Smith" if not.

"Technically" you can only be called Doctor if you have a PhD (doctorate) in Ireland which alot of vets and doctors dont have. The degree is followed by the letters MVB (Bachelor of Vet Medicine). In America they have DVM (Doctor of Vet Medicine).

You're right about the PhD thing; most doctors here are MB BCh (bachelor of medicine and surgery) and not PhDs.

On the other side of the pond, all lawyers are now JDs (as in Juris Doctors, not the fella from Scrubs) but you'd get some strange looks if you called a lawyer doctor!

Personally, when dealing with them in a professional capacity, I call all medical doctors, vets and dentists doctor, or doc, at least until I get to know them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

lol @ teacherspet

Never dawned on me to call them anything but their names, mind you I don't have a habit of calling a doctor a doctor either.

I'm terrible with remembering names anyway so usually just say thanks lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

rubensni wrote: »
    You're right about the PhD thing; most doctors here are MB BCh (bachelor of medicine and surgery) and not PhDs.

Hmm, I'm going to refuse to call my doctor sister a doctor so . . . she's always saying Gillian McKeith isn't a real doctor, but neither is she! :D

Advertisement