Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bray head to Greystones

Options
  • 27-07-2010 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭

I walk from Bray to Greystones over the head every now and again.

As you come into Greystones the coastal path passes by a field (or two) before meeting the harbour works. Over the years the path has been eroded and moved inland several times, encroaching on the field.

Just wondering what the situation with this is:

Is the path a public right of way that has to be maintained by the council?
    Are strips of the field simply bought by CPO to maintain the path?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,935 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the council CPO's the land as required afaik.

the cliff walk is a public right of way - I'm not sure whether that means the council has to maintain it if it falls into the sea, but as its a tourist attraction there's generally pressure from the local councillors to keep it passable.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Thanks.

must be a pain in the ass for that farmer. not really knowing when his land will be reduced, making the field less viable and having plenty of people (me included) traipsing through the field all the time.

As for the maintenance side of it, they certainly don't seem to maintain the track around the headland to well as it is closed regularly, but I usually go over it anyway, slightly more challenging :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Joliegood

Thinking of walking from Bray to Greystones after work. Have not done the cliff walk since the construction work began, could you tell me the quickest route once you come to the point where the old brIdge once stood. Do I have to walk down to the Redford dip or is there a way through Redford Park. Hope you can help, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

No idea. I wouldn't know the area well enough to put names to places. The route turns inland and goes between the construction site and the railway line and emerges in the same place it used to if that is what you mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,935 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Joliegood wrote: »
    Thinking of walking from Bray to Greystones after work. Have not done the cliff walk since the construction work began, could you tell me the quickest route once you come to the point where the old brIdge once stood. Do I have to walk down to the Redford dip or is there a way through Redford Park. Hope you can help, thanks.

you can still walk through to the harbour - there's a fenced path around the back of the construction site. You can also go up towards the "Dip" if and from there into Redford Park if that suits you better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Joliegood

Thanks folks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

I walk from Bray to Greystones over the head every now and again.

As you come into Greystones the coastal path passes by a field (or two) before meeting the harbour works. Over the years the path has been eroded and moved inland several times, encroaching on the field.

Just wondering what the situation with this is:

Is the path a public right of way that has to be maintained by the council?
    Are strips of the field simply bought by CPO to maintain the path?

A well known local builder now owns what was farmland and received payment recently from the council to allow the path to be moved inland.

Advertisement