Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is the Limerick tunnell free?

• 27-07-2010 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

Morning Everyone,

Is it true that the new Limerick tunnel is free for the first month?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

News to me. 1.80 for car as far as i know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

I heard this this morning, not sure if its true or not

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭decskelligs

When Direct route opened the Fermoy bypass the first few weeks were for free so maybe they will leave the tunnel free foir a few weeks as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

Morning Everyone,

you think it is free?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭Captain Average

There is no monthly charge on the tags until the end of 2010. This is what you have probably mistaken as "free"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

Definetly not free , friend of mine working in it says that it was a once off in Cork when they first opened one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

There is no monthly charge on the tags until the end of 2010. This is what you have probably mistaken as "free"

Can you elaborate on this? If i buy a monthly tag on this, it will be free? OR will i have to pay 6 months of tolls in january?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭Captain Average

phill106 wrote: »
    Can you elaborate on this? If i buy a monthly tag on this, it will be free? OR will i have to pay 6 months of tolls in january?

There is a monthly charge for using the tags, on top of the actual cost of the toll. This charge is not being implemented until January 2011.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Morning Everyone,

Well the People of Cork had the cop on and common sense to oppose the proposed tolling of the Jack Lynch Tunnel and that's been free for the last 132 Months going back over a Decade to 1999.

- It would be pretty mean spirited not to give 30 days free in this case especially since a massive Sum of money was syphoned off to fund it via the ridiculous notion of Public funding being used to partially fund investment opportunities of the Wealthy Elite - AKA Public Private Partnership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭NCG

Used it yesterday and it definitely is not free! The e-toll lanes weren't open either. As above though there is no admin fee on the e-toll account for 2010, and the first 4,000 tags are given free (ie you don't have to buy or rent the tags). Now if only we could use them.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

NCG wrote: »
    Used it yesterday and it definitely is not free! The e-toll lanes weren't open either. As above though there is no admin fee on the e-toll account for 2010, and the first 4,000 tags are given free (ie you don't have to buy or rent the tags). Now if only we could use them.....

Etoll lanes are open it's just the express lane that is closed, I used my Tolltag for two days on the manned toll booths without issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Raiser wrote: »
    Well the People of Cork had the cop on and common sense to oppose the proposed tolling of the Jack Lynch Tunnel and that's been free for the last 132 Months going back over a Decade to 1999.

- It would be pretty mean spirited not to give 30 days free in this case especially since a massive Sum of money was syphoned off to fund it via the ridiculous notion of Public funding being used to partially fund investment opportunities of the Wealthy Elite - AKA Public Private Partnership.

The M25, which includes the Jack Lynch Tunnel is tolled at Fermoy, the M7/M18 is tolled at Clonmacken and Cratloe (depending on which route you take). No difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

ninty9er wrote: »
    The M25, which includes the Jack Lynch Tunnel is tolled at Fermoy, the M7/M18 is tolled at Clonmacken and Cratloe (depending on which route you take). No difference.

Huge difference.

Someone who had to buy on one side of Cork and works on the other can commute, while long-distance drivers pay.

There's no argument with tolls on that basis, as they knock an hour or so off long journeys.

Someone living in Limerick and working in Shannon, on the other hand......

If it were tolled just after Shannon or Ennis, so that people travelling the western equivalent of Dublin to Cork had to pay, there would be few complaints.

Mind you, as I've said before, I wouldn't particularly complain if it was a €1 charge; it still amounts to €500 a year for commuters, but at least it would be stomach-able.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

ninty9er wrote: »

M25? No such road in the republic. Fermoy toll is on the M8.
    Raiser wrote:

What cop on? The PPP process only started in the republic during 2002 so they had nothing to oppose. If the people of Limerick opposed private funding for the Limerick tunnel then we would have no bypass of the city today. Simple fact is that the government could not afford every scheme in the country with taxpayers money so some schemes had to put though the PPP process. Better to have the infrastructure with tolls than no infrastructure at all.

Also lol at the thread title!!:D

tech2 wrote: »
    What cop on? The PPP process only started in the republic during 2002 so they had nothing to oppose.

I'm almost certain that the Jack Lynch Tunnel was originally supposed to be tolled from the outset.

Nobody has ever paid a penny to go through it in ~11 years because of the Public indignation and uproar the mere idea of tolling it generated.

- This goes back to when People had common sense and principles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

I'm almost certain that the Jack Lynch Tunnel was originally supposed to be tolled from the outset.

Nobody has ever paid a penny to go through it in ~11 years because of the Public indignation and uproar the mere idea of tolling it generated.

- This goes back to when People had common sense and principles.

Was the Jack Lynch tunnel also partly privately funded?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I belive the Jack Lynch tunnel was built publically but the reason it was not tolled was the fact that you could not go around it easily so by tolling it, it would be "mean".

Different times. :D

Was the Jack Lynch tunnel also partly privately funded?

I don't care if it was excavated by Sherpa's using Spoons and paid for by Colombian Drug Lords.

- My sole point was that a toll was proposed and said notion was rubbished, before being successfully buried.

I don't care if it was excavated by Sherpa's using Spoons and paid for by Colombian Drug Lords.

- My sole point was that a toll was proposed and said notion was rubbished, before being successfully buried.

I'll ask again,was the Jack Lynch tunnel also partly privately funded?

I'll ask again,was the Jack Lynch tunnel also partly privately funded?

:)

Ask away.

Incidentally, an open question, what is the ratio of Public : Private funding in The Limerick Tunnel?

- It would be hilarious if it turned out to be something like ~80% Public Revenue with a small lump sum thrown in by the Private Investors as they seek to recoup their initial investment a great many times over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

tech2 wrote: »
    M25? No such road in the republic. Fermoy toll is on the M8.
    My apologies. I do agree that €1.21 for tag or €1.30 for cash would be a better price (considering tolls are VAT chargeable since the middle of this year thanks to a European driective enforcement). They've got 31 years to make their money back, surely it's enough.

:)

Ask away.

Incidentally, an open question, what is the ratio of Public : Private funding in The Limerick Tunnel?

- It would be hilarious if it turned out to be something like ~80% Public Revenue with a small lump sum thrown in by the Private Investors as they seek to recoup their initial investment a great many times over.

I'm embarassed for you and your nonsensical ramblings, I really am.

I'm embarassed for you and your nonsensical ramblings, I really am.

I'll embarrass myself thanks very much !!!!

- Seriously though lets not pretend that everyone is delighted about the method employed in putting that Tunnel there and the Toll applied which will no doubt be steadily increased as time goes on.

Tolls. FFS

In other countries they are fleeced by tolls. I drove 800kms in France and it costs me €54+. Here 800kms would cost €7.20.

Limerick to Dublin and back twice.

The Government cannot afford to build the infrastructure so the PPP were formed. On the continent there were no PPP's just Ps(Private companies) who built all the good roads and charge a premium.

We are being given good roads and have to pay €1.80 to get from Limerick to Dublin on an entire Motorway(by the end of October).

€1.80 to use a Toll under the Shannon. Big Whoop. You use it twice a day and think it will cost a lot at the end of the year. You have a choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Berty wrote: »
    Tolls. FFS

In other countries they are fleeced by tolls. I drove 800kms in France and it costs me €54+. Here 800kms would cost €7.20.

The Government cannot afford to build the infrastructure so the PPP were formed. On the continent there were no PPP's just Ps(Private companies) who built all the good roads and charge a premium.

We are being given good roads and have to pay €1.80 to get from Limerick to Dublin on an entire Motorway(by the end of October).

€1.80 to use a Toll under the Shannon. Big Whoop. You use it twice a day and think it will cost a lot at the end of the year. You have a choice.

I second this...i drove for 2 hours in spain and it cost me 26 euro in tolls...

Berty I'm going to put so many green lines on that stretch of Road.......

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Tolls. FFS

It will be motorway the whole way from Limerick to where the current motorway entering Dublin ends?

Berty I'm going to put so many green lines on that stretch of Road.......

:p

Its okay because they said the lines will fade away when it rains as it was unseasonally sunny at the time................................

It has rained hasn't it.....................................still green paint. :D

Kess73 wrote: »
    It will be motorway the whole way from Limerick to where the current motorway entering Dublin ends?

Oh sorry actually. It ends at Naas at begins again at the M50 but at least it is a good DC so you can overtake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Oh sorry actually. It ends at Naas at begins again at the M50 but at least it is a good DC so you can overtake.

The Naas bit was what I meant by the current one ending. Did not realise that the motorway would go from there the whole way to Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 panorton

I drove from Burgos to Malaga free. That's 450 miles. My 2.3 Volvo which cost over €800 road tax here was €108 in Malaga. Petrol is over 10c a litre cheaper in Spain. A cylinder of gas is less than half price in Spain. My understanding of the Jack Lynch Tunnel is that it was part funded by the EU who threatened to withdraw funding if the route were tolled. Last Saturday I collected my son at Dublin Airport the tolls cost €13.40. Along with the very expensive fuel, the highest road tax in Europe and the criminal VRT it's hard to understand why we don't vandalize the toll booths in our increasing spare time.

^
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |

Legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Kramer

Tolls. FFS

Limerick to Dublin and back twice.[/B]

Limerick to Drogheda return is 500km. 10 tolls = €18.
    That's using the tunnel & Birdhill tolls (if it's ever finished :rolleyes:), M7, M50 & M1.
    Diesel - €50, tolls - €18, road tax - €600............for everything else, there's Mastercard :D

What Birdhill Tolls?

Okay there are tolls South of Portaloise. Im sure you mean those.

€3.60 return at Portlaoise

€4.00 on M50

€3.60 on M1

That's €11.20. There is no Tunnel required unless you are coming from the North Side of Limerick adding another €3.60

€14.80 return.

Tunnel in Limerick
    Toll at Portlaoise
    M50 Toll
    M1 Toll

8 Tolls to be paid.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

panorton wrote: »
    I drove from Burgos to Malaga free. That's 450 miles. My 2.3 Volvo which cost over €800 road tax here was €108 in Malaga. Petrol is over 10c a litre cheaper in Spain. A cylinder of gas is less than half price in Spain. My understanding of the Jack Lynch Tunnel is that it was part funded by the EU who threatened to withdraw funding if the route were tolled. Last Saturday I collected my son at Dublin Airport the tolls cost €13.40. Along with the very expensive fuel, the highest road tax in Europe and the criminal VRT it's hard to understand why we don't vandalize the toll booths in our increasing spare time.

Move to Spain/use alternative routes that aren't tolled

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭shg101

#1 In terms of overall tax take as a % of GDP, Ireland is a low tax country. Makes no sense to talk just about one segment - ie transport.

#2 I drove along the motorway up around Barcelona and it cost a fortune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

When Direct route opened the Fermoy bypass the first few weeks were for free so maybe they will leave the tunnel free foir a few weeks as well

no it wasnt free i drove on it twice the day it opened.........

• Registered Users Posts: 41 panorton

Ireland may well be a low tax country if your a large multi national paying very little capitol gains tax, or a member of a multi national rock group paying no tax at all but if your a motorist ie anyone else not a minister or ex taioseach then you're included. Try living outside the pale using only public transport. Anyone returning from a sun holiday knows that eating out is a normal practice for our European neighbours not an annual event like back here. Anyone returning from the States knows that just about everything is cheaper overthere. Now it appears that poor old Jack Lynch the man who abolished rates and car tax back in 1977 may well be tolled after all.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0726/1224275468010.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Now it appears that poor old Jack Lynch the man who abolished rates and car tax back in 1977 may well be tolled after all.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0726/1224275468010.html

FFS! :mad:
    The Gort to Tuam road in Galway, part of which is already under construction, is to be a tolled motorway and a new toll on the Limerick to Gort section is a possibility.

Other possibilities include tolling stretches of the Limerick to Cork route, the Jack Lynch tunnel and a range of bypasses such as Youghal and Ballincollig in Co Cork

So basically the assholes in Kildare St are planning on getting us to pay THREE TOLLS when going from Limerick to Galway ? :mad: :mad: :mad: while Cork to Galway could well have 4, 5 or even 6 tolls ?

Aside from the obvious direct costs to us, God knows how that will affect the cost of doing business in this corrupt ****hole of a country!
    The working group that Minister for the Environment John Gormley....

Enough said......that wanker wouldn't know a sustainable and fair option for people if it shafted him up his so-called green ass!!! :mad:

EDIT : Cue Callely's "expenses" topping €160,000 as a result, with us footing the bill, while said-same Gormley votes confidence in same!

There will be riots in this country yet!

They'd be stupid NOT to enforce a Toll on the Jack Lynch Tunnel.

- Search for the word "Toll" on Boards.ie and you'll get hit after hit showing posts where People who pay PAYE, VAT on everything from socks to TVs, VRT which is calculated after VAT is applied on a Car are vehemently defending their right to be anally probed as they lean over to dump more hard earned cash in Toll Bins......

At this rate you could Toll every Roundabout in the Country and they'd just shrug and run off to find the right change :(

Idiots.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Morning Everyone,

Is it fcuk...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

you dont have to use it. its a service you dont need, but can use if you wish. If you dont use it the traffic is still better for you because theres less traffic on the old route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

What Birdhill Tolls?

Okay there are tolls South of Portaloise. Im sure you mean those.

€3.60 return at Portlaoise

€4.00 on M50

€3.60 on M1

That's €11.20. There is no Tunnel required unless you are coming from the North Side of Limerick adding another €3.60

€14.80 return.

Tunnel in Limerick
    Toll at Portlaoise
    M50 Toll
    M1 Toll

8 Tolls to be paid.

I thought there was going to be a toll on the yet to be opened section between Annacotty and Birdhill (whenever they stop it sinking) ?

My usual route is Limerick to Nenagh and onwards to Borrisokane/Athlone, so I was annoyed at the idea having to pay the toll to get the use of just 20 miles of decent road. If I was going to Dublin at least I'd get a good distance for the toll money.

lifer_sean wrote: »
    I thought there was going to be a toll on the yet to be opened section between Annacotty and Birdhill (whenever they stop it sinking) ?

My usual route is Limerick to Nenagh and onwards to Borrisokane/Athlone, so I was annoyed at the idea having to pay the toll to get the use of just 20 miles of decent road. If I was going to Dublin at least I'd get a good distance for the toll money.

Well at the moment you are only getting to use 12 miles of Motorway prior to paying the Toll in Portlaoise. That is insanity.

Considering they put you on the 12 miles at Borris in Ossory I just keep going through Mountrath and rejoin at Portlaoise.

I will pay to the Toll when the actualy Motorway opens. Feckin Chancers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭lasno

The tunnel is free, unfortunately you have to pay to pass throught the toll booths.

Advertisement