Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Browser usage

Options
  • 27-07-2010 10:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

Hi

Does anyone have any idea what the % usage of browsers is in Ireland

i.e.
    what % of users use Firefox
    what % of users use Internet Explorer
    what % of users use Google Chrome
    what % of users use Safari

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭wobbles-grogan

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=browser+usage+ireland

Half way down the first hit...

its not perfect, but gives a good idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

WARNING: These stats are for hits on associate pages and so only estimates

Last months browser stats for ire land from The Stat Counter provides an interesting list, it's probably more applicable to a general audience than some of the more technical sites where people are more inclined to experiment with their browser usage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

IE 8 ? Puke! :mad:

Whatever about IE 7, which was almost standards-compliant, IE 8 is a walking disaster :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Are you kidding me? Anything below IE8 is a hassle. Microsoft have finally started to co-operate with html and css standards with IE8. It actually looks normal, no hacks necessary, unlike IE7 and before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

lil_lisa wrote: »
    Are you kidding me?

No.

I agree 100% with you about IE6 and lower, no argument, but I have found that 99% of sites that work and look OK in IE7 work cross-browser (and vice-versa), while IE8 has introduced a series of new issues to deal with.

That's just my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭gavney1

thanks guys

have looked at a few stats now. and it seems that while the stats vary, IE seems to still be the most popular (much as I hate it myself!)

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭fergalfrog

I would recommend you generate your own stats on what your visitors are using.

These stats often get quoted:
    http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

(probably because it's the first thing people find on a google search), however I have one site running which gets over 70% IE and just 24% Firefox.

It all depends on who is coming to your site. A lot of large semi-state companies still have everyone on IE 6 (which is a real pain to accomodate at times).

I guess you were probably look for these stats in advance of doing something but just thought I would recommend you throw in google analytics and see what people coming to your site are using.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Collumbo

here's my two cents:

the stats below are from my google analytics for a site I wrote that went live at the beginning of this year. We get anything from 7000-10000 visitors on a weekday. Catering for IE simply wrecked wrecked my head and it even delayed me a week here and there when trying to make certain forms look OK as I had to learn a few workarounds. As a result, I got rid of some fancy stuff and kept it old school :-/. To make matters even worse, of the IE users, 25% of them are still using IE6 (representing 20% of all users!! unbelievable in 2010!). This meant a fair few restrictions on certain CSS and jquery stuff (and no, I was NOT going to start catering for multiple version of IE... :rolleyes: )

If I could say one good thing about IE, it is much fussier when trying to get any javascript perfect. This was actually a good thing as it ensures that you don't have stupid null object errors at runtime.

Note that these stats are for a public sector website (I would rather not say which one here). This does tell me something about the users of such a website... a lot of them are probably scared sh1tl€ss of installing a new browser and never heard of Firefox. I'm sure if it was a gaming or techie website, Firefox would be first, ahead of something like Chrome. I stand to be corrected of course making a comment like that...

Internet Explorer
    234,715 82.45%
    Firefox
    30,773 10.81%
    Chrome
    10,986 3.86%
    Safari
    6,809 2.39%
    Opera
    714 0.25%
    Mozilla
    450 0.16%
    Mozilla Compatible Agent
    75 0.03%
    SeaMonkey
    30 0.01%
    Opera Mini
    22 0.01%
    Camino
    13 > 0.00%

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Internet explorer 82.45%. That's incredible. Maybe this website is more used from companies or organisations that insist on using Internet Explorer as the browser.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Collumbo

Webmonkey wrote: »
    Internet explorer 82.45%. That's incredible. Maybe this website is more used from companies or organisations that insist on using Internet Explorer as the browser.

that's what I imagine. the nature of the website would really lead me to believe that it's places like accountancy firms and law firms that have the most use for it. a lot of these places won't allow you to use a USB stick let alone install a new browser...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

For what it's worth, here are the stats for boards.ie and adverts.ie (average over the last week - in the region of 10 million page views):

Internet Explorer: 33.98%
    Firefox: 39.21%
    Chrome: 17.05%
    Safari: 4.42%
    Opera: 1.49%
    Various Mobile Browsers: 3.08%
    Others: 0.77%

Internet Explorer usage is highest during working hours and lower at evenings, nights and weekends. Last time I looked, IE6 usage was at 4% and declining fast and the remainder of the IE share was split relatively evenly between 7 & 8.

IE and Safari's shares seem relatively steady, Firefox and Chrome have the bulk of the rest and there's a steady transfer from Firefox to Chrome.

One interesting tidbit: we usually have more iPhone/iPod/iPad users than we have Opera users. Opera Mini seems to be holding its own in the mobile segment but the desktop browser has been stagnating for quite a while. Peak share on boards.ie was 1.8% at the end of 2008 and has been on a slow but steady decline since.

Advertisement