Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade suggestions for late 80s apartment block

Options
  • 27-07-2010 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭

Morning All,

I recently took up a seat on the board of the mgmt co in a creaking late 80s apartment block. I have been thinking of various ideas on upgrading the complex, such as improved energy efficiency and sound insulation in common areas, and really anything at all that could have a positive affect.

Does anyone have any similar experiences that they could share? Is retro-fitting solar panels on apartment blocks feasible? Any suggestions of other innovative schemes in apartment complexes?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

The big question is always how to pay for these things. They are substantial capital projects. For a while the way to do it was by building on the roof or some other vacant spot, but this is less viable now. A lot of apartment owners are now short of money and won't be in a position to contribute to an upgrade.

If people want to insulate their own apartment for sound, why not just facilitate them to do it themselves?

I would say the priority building-wise should be the windows of the building, which are usually the responsibility of the management company. They are the thing that seems to wear out first and the biggest area where insulation can be improved. These also bring an immediate improvement to the comfort of the apartments. (Making improvements to the common areas won't make that much difference.)

You might be able to cut expenditure a bit by using more energy efficient lightbulbs and by using sensors to trigger the lights when the corridor is occupied. Again, this requires a bit of investment, though not too much. If you are heating any of the common areas, which I doubt, you might need to ask whether it is worth it.

Your biggest priority (in my opinion) should be the financial well-being of the development. You need to make sure everything is well-administered and that there is enough of a sinking fund for future repairs. It will be about ten more years before really major works are needed, but you need to be ready for that. When your block reaches the 30-year mark, there will fairly suddenly be a constant sequence of things that need to be completely renewed.

Solar panel projects are unlikely to ever give a return on investment, unless you take a lot of hot showers on summer days. If you really wanted to save money on energy, you could put in a centralised furnace which would feed all the apartments. But this would be expensive to retrofit and people in Ireland tend to want control of their own boiler.

Good luck with it!

Antoin.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

there is a large apt block between the Galloping green and White's cross on the N11 that was completely overhauled recently. I am not overly familiar with the details but it appeared to be a complete re-cladding and insulation at the least. maybe someone on here would have a contact for it to aid you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

I have lived in a couple of these 80's, redbrick style blocks and the main problem with each has been insulation. Both apartments have been ice-boxes. I'm not sure if that's within your remit or whether it's a problem a mgt. company can do anything about, but if if it is that's what I'd look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Survey the residents and see what they have problems with. Once t hat is done, get a professional (building surveyor?) to inspect the building to see what problems it has and to put prices on possible solutions. Then go back to the residents and see what they want to spend.

Is there a sinking fund in place?

Advertisement