Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pick your own

Options
  • 27-07-2010 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭

Are there any pick your own places in the North County? I'm taking a break soon. I think the kids would really enjoy something like that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Try Jones Fruit Farm & Garden Centre, Swords Road, Donabate, phone: 8402705.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Hill Billy, Jones' don't have fruit any more. I was in there last year and asked - they said they haven't had fruit for years. It's just a garden centre and shop now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

really? is there no where around there that's a massive fruit farm with loads of berries?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I don't think so - as far as I know there's only Lambert's in Rathfarnham left.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

Yep Jones is gone.I was looking for something similer.
    Real shame.You could contact Sonarta, and see what they have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Keelings...:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

They sell fruit to the public but it's not pick your own. There is always the coastline if you fancy winkle or cockle picking on the rocks of Fingal.

Alas, not ideal if you have very young kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Corsendonk wrote: »
    They sell fruit to the public but it's not pick your own. There is always the coastline if you fancy winkle or cockle picking on the rocks of Fingal.

This does sound good but one thing about the winkles (or any coastal shellfish for that matter) on dublins beaches..... before they are exported to france or continental europe they need to be put in clean clear flowing water for 2 or 3 days to remove the nasty little bugs they pick up in the irish sea.

I wouldnt recommend cooking/eating these unless you possess a clean water facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

There's always bramble picking inthe Autumn

• Advertisement

True, but a great classroom to teach the kids about there environment.

Eoineo wrote: »

Love it, blackberry picking..... went out last year with the little nephews. Enough for 6 jars of beautiful jam.

Did you check with the farmer when he last sprayed the field? Spray drift is very common.

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Did you check with the farmer when he last sprayed the field? Spray drift is very common.

I always pick them is on the verges of grazing land, no spraying. Usually more overgrown and likely to have better crops of blackberries.

Very good, unfortunately not too much grazing land near me. Does anyone harvest crab apples and actually use them?

Yep I do. I try to preserve as much as I can while it's in season. Blackcurrants last week by the way. A decent jam if it's well made & sealed will last until Christmas which is good for presents.

The blackberries I collect are from non-agri land. So they're not sprayed.

My biggest problem with seasonal stuff is finding the space to store all the jars & frozen stuff. I only have a combined fridge/freezer & limited storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

eoineo, a well packed box in the attic works wonders for the jams. just dont forgwt about them. i put it by the christmas lights so i dont forget.

( off topic what method do you use to serilise you jars? )

you ever try drying the fruits? not bad result.

also flavouring alcohol too. friend of min made a koppaberg style beer with blackberries. was rocket fuel but was lovely. ( not so much the next day)

my favourite is fresh fruit sorbet. lovely in the summer eveing after a bbq.

all this talk is making me hungry

Oh I have a larder area in my sitting room but it's becoming pretty packed already. I plan on making blackcurrant vodka once I get my hands on some funky bottles.

I sterilise my jars in the dishwasher - seriously - and then warm them in the oven so that they don't crack when I pour the jam in.

I have a very easy recipe for frozen yoghurt-style blackberries which is used a good few times during the year providing I get a good crop.

Don't tell my husband ;) but I'm already planning the gifts for Christmas this year. Mind you if I get enough made I'd be seriously tempted to try and sell some and get some pin money together.

How about posting that recipe over in the Cooking and Recipes forum? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

ikea have great bottles and jars.

i find that if you boild your jars in a pot and pour the jam straight into the hot jar ( prevent any contamination) then put greaseproof on top of the jam and seal. had a jar that was nearly 2 years old. was grand.

so basically........ i dont know where you can pick your own fruit ;)

• Advertisement

Hill Billy wrote: »
    How about posting that recipe over in the Cooking and Recipes forum? :)

Yes boss, gotta dig it out so it'll be tomorrow. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Posher

I know there is a large strawberry farm in Stamullen called Clarkes. It might be worth checking if they do pick your own. I haven't a clue if they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

Jones used to be great for picking stawberrys and raspberries etc. Though the old "one for me, one in the basket" problem must have been a factor in them stopping.

A previous poster mentioned keeling. Last time i passed was last week and they had a sign outside their premises saying pick your own strawberries.

Posher wrote: »
    I know there is a large strawberry farm in Stamullen called Clarkes. It might be worth checking if they do pick your own. I haven't a clue if they do.

Jasus, I worked their for a few days when I was 14 or 15, 20 odd years ago.... I think I made £6

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Eoineo wrote: »

Ah yeah, we'll do that. Been doing it for a few years now. Also looking at foraging other stuff (elderberries and wild rhubarb). Might progress to shell fish next year. :)
    A previous poster mentioned keeling. Last time i passed was last week and they had a sign outside their premises saying pick your own strawberries.

Where abouts is this?

Keelings is just behind the airport http://www.keelings.com/home.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Perfect. I'll knock in there. Thanks.

Advertisement